Water Pump rebuild

Got questions? We got answers....
Simpleman369

Water Pump rebuild

Post by Simpleman369 »

Hey guys,
I have a 2004 KDX 200, and I am having a hard time finding any good information when I have questions, so I'm hoping you guys can help. About 2 months ago I rode into a puddle that was WAY to deep. It engulfed my bike, but as soon as I realized how deep it was I cut the bike off and jumped off to pull it out. I let the bike drain for a minute, and after 6 kicks or so it cranked back up. Shortly after, I stopped to eat lunch, and when I kicked the bike it cranked, but the kick starter didn't return up, and was making a horrible rattling sound. I was way back in the woods, and walking out would have taken hours, and with the sandy terrain would have been just about impossible. So I rode it all the way back with the kickstand tied up. When I got home, I did some research and assumed that the spring had broken. I also noticed my oil was milky. I knew that was from the water, so I drained the coolant and the oil, removed my exhaust, clutch cable, kick starter, and side cover. There was the broken spring. So, I ordered the spring, and the gaskets for the water pump and side cover. when the new spring arrived, and I attempted to install it, I found it to be much more difficult than just putting the springs post into the holes. When I tried sliding the spring onto the shaft, and inserting the spring post into the shaft, then turning the spring until the next post reached it's hole, I noticed the clutch was in the way. I tried finding info on removing the clutch, but I couldn't find anything thorough enough to make me confident in it being correct, so I took it to the dealership. I had them replace the kick starter spring for me, but when I got the call about the price, they also informed me that the water pump needed to be rebuilt, and my total would be $600.00, and the bulk of that was from man hours to re build the water pump. I asked them to replace only the spring, and I would try and do that pump my self. Now I can't find any information on the process, or any tools i may need to do this. I spoke to the mechanic that replaced my spring, and he was telling me that I would have to pull the shaft out and replace the bearings and impeller, the whole deal because it is grinding bad, and has a little play in it. I know that when a shaft has play, it usually means the bearings are bad, so I believe him. I don't know if I have to pull the clutch for this either, since it is so close to it, and I don't know what tools I will need for the job, but I have all the standard stuff, sockets, ect. I really don't want to spend the money paying someone else to do it, but I also don't want to cause a worse problem than what I already have by messing it up because I don't know what I'm doing. I appreciate your time if you have read this far, and I would be grateful to have some insight from someone with experience who may be able to help. Thank you.
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Water Pump rebuild

Post by 6 Riders »

Tis is a simple job. If you can get to the kick start spring, you can get to the water pump. Take off the inner clutch cover, turn it over, so that you are looking at the inside. Where the water pump cover would be at, there is a bearing and shaft....remove, replace, assemble in opposite order. I can't imagine that a KDX water pump AND a brand new inner clutch cover and labor would be worth $500.
Don't forget to order new seals and impeller also (for the whole rebuild).
newbbewb wrote:^what he said.
masterblaster wrote:Man 6 riders you rock.
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type
Simpleman369

Post by Simpleman369 »

Well, your reply certainly helped me gain confidence, and actually opened my eyes to how easily accessible the water pump was. I have taken that case off a number of times and never noticed it was right there. I replaced all the parts, but along the way, I ended up cracking the water seal. Now I have oil in my radiator and have to do it all over again. I certainly wouldn't consider it an "easy" job to accomplish. It's very delicate. Knowing what's involved though, the price they were going to charge me is out of control, and I appreciate your response. I will now order the parts all over again, and see if I can do a better job this time.
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

I always recommend having a complete set of the seals on hand. When I did my H series the first time, I also broke the mechanical seal and had to get onther one.....thankfuly I wasn't in a hurry or I would have gone nuts. I buy most of my parts on line since the closest Kawi dealers to me suck a$$. Buying 2 complete seal sets also helps offset shipping (if I'm paying shipping, they usually get me for however much more $$ to make free shipping :roll: )
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type
Simpleman369

Post by Simpleman369 »

Yea I'm starting to learn my lesson with the dealers. After I had taken it there to get them to install a new kick starter spring, it still doesn't come up as it should. So when I rebuild the water pump this weekend I'll get a good look at why. I need to buy a manual, because doing the work without one makes me nervous that I will spend hours taking it apart and putting it back together just to find out that I missed something or installed something wrong. I have been ordering my parts from Rocky Mountain, really just because it's so easy to find the OEM part that I need. Do you think that buying OEM parts is worth it, or should I try and find aftermarket parts since I'll be in the motor anyway?
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

For anything inside the cases apart from clutch plates/springs, OEM is all you are going to find.
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

The only aftermarket parts available for what you are doing is the gaskets and engine seal kit.....Which is what I bought the last time I did my E series water pump.....worked out great, came with all the seals for the motor. I did the water pump and the clutch shaft seal for less than what the OEM water pump seals cost.