kdx 200 timing issues

Got questions? We got answers....
Jess10

kdx 200 timing issues

Post by Jess10 »

Hey I have a question that I just can't seem to figure out I have a 97 kdx 200 that a pulled out of storage from the winter after filling it up with gas and trying to start it it ran for a second then died and now has no spark. I tested the 8 month old elecosport stator and found it to be dead and I also noticed water had been getting into the stator cover.

I ordered a new electrosport stator and installed it promptly to find it will not run I now have good spark but no matter were I set the timing the bike kicks back and will not run... I took the bike to my local bike shop and they decided the only thing they could think of is a bad cdi sooo I ordered a used cdi and installed it to find it makes no difference..... The only thing I can think of is either there is something wrong with the stator or the flywheel is junk from me sanding the rust off of it??? I'm kinda out of ideas so if anyone has any ideas let me know thanks a lot.
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: kdx 200 timing issues

Post by Julien D »

When you re-installed the flywheel was the keyway lined up with the woodruff key? If the key fell out and the flywheel is not positioned correctly that could cause your issues.
Jess10

kdx 200 timing issues

Post by Jess10 »

I replaced the key when I changed the stator and its all lined up thanks for the reply!!
TheJackRabbit
Supporting Member

Post by TheJackRabbit »

electrosport stators are known to be really unreliable, try getting a used OEM known working stator off ebay or somewhere like that.
http://www.youtube.com/allthatstuff35 <--- some KDX videos here
I'm smarter than I act
diymirage
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by diymirage »

TheJackRabbit wrote:electrosport stators are known to be really unreliable, try getting a used OEM known working stator off ebay or somewhere like that.
im gonna be buying a new stator soon, any chance you could elaborate on this?

(not that its such a big deal, an OEM unit is $25.00)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Stator-Ignition ... 0e&vxp=mtr
newbbewb wrote:DIYmirage has it right.

-1996 KDX 200 woods weapon (converted to 99 green body)
-1996 KDX 200 plated street toy (barney edition)
-2003 Yamaha TTR125-L (wifeys bike)
-1997 KDX 220 project bike
Jess10

kdx 200 timing issues

Post by Jess10 »

The bad part is this stator was 200 bucks after tax and I paid 90 for the cdi and I'd rather not buy another stator when the one I have has never been run!! How is electrosport for waranty ? After looking up on them it looks like there's a ton of issues with them.