Whiskey Throttle and Auto Clutch

Got questions? We got answers....
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Whiskey Throttle and Auto Clutch

Post by KDXGarage »

I think all of us have had some scary situation where we accidentally give the bike full throttle when we don't mean to. At these times, I try to pull in the clutch and coast for a little bit to regain my wits. For those of you with an auto-clutch, what happens in this situation, just hold on for dear life as it hooks up and goes??
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

Good question, i'd think you just chop the throttle?
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

Where my clutch is, is now my rear brake lever. Muscle memory is still there: instinctively, I grab the lever. So a full throttle is now a hard braking. Much better than just coasting IMO and much less scary. Unintended wheelies for example; grabbing the rear brake and down she comes. I haven't looped a bike since my rear brake is hand controlled now.
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

If it pops up wuickly, I hope you are the master of feathering the brake. I would just come slamming down. Well, that is if I had a left side rear hand brake. I am thinking the auto clutch might drag the rider along for a ride at some point.
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

I'm king of Whiskey throttle... that's how I can be fast in the woods! :?
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

Quite the contrary, Jason. As soon as the throttle chops or the brake locks, the motor dis-engages from the tranny and you are effectively in neutral. My stock clutched bike is the one that would drag me along for a ride since it would go without falling into a neutral state upon loss of control.
Take my word for it; the autoclutch is much safer in that respect. Next time you're out on your bike, loft the front wheel and then tap the rear brake. The bike doesn't slam back to earth. The lifting is offset by the braking and she sets back down just as sweet as you would like. In fact, that is how I maintain long wheelies; working the rear brake and the throttle.
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

OK, allow me to further explain it. If someone is hanging off the back like superman without their feet on the pegs, holding on for dear life and they used to could reach out and grab the clutch, I am thinking that now they are in for a rodeo ride with an auto-clutch and no clutch lever.

btw, there are no breaks on my stable of hobbie horses

Me? Go riding? NEHHHHH :lol: