Need To Up Grade Stator: Questions

Got questions? We got answers....
morganid
Supporting Member

Post by morganid »

2003 KDX 220.

Little by little, I'm making my bike dual sport. I want it fully functional for road use, but I'll use it on the road >1% of the time. It's time to upgrade my stator I think. I installed a horn a while back but discovered the bike doesn't have enough juice to run the horn unless I really rev my bike up. Right now I have the stock headlight and taillight with an LED stop/tail light that is cut down and mounted underneath the fender. My plan is to switch out the headlight to a KLX style headlight. I also still need to put the blinkers on it. When it's all said and done, EVERYTHING will be LED.

SO If I go LED with an 85 watt stator from Ricky Stator, I think I'll have enough juice to power my horn, headlight, taillight, blinkers, and a Trail Tech. But with the LED's not pulling the same draw as the normal incandescent bulbs, will there be too much juice and ruin bulbs/wires when the horn is not on?
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

You'll be fine.
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
diymirage
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Re: Need To Up Grade Stator: Questions

Post by diymirage »

you can get as good (if not better) a power output by rewinding the stator yourself at a fraction of the cost of an aftermarket one

there is a thread about it somewhere on here...
newbbewb wrote:DIYmirage has it right.

-1996 KDX 200 woods weapon (converted to 99 green body)
-1996 KDX 200 plated street toy (barney edition)
-2003 Yamaha TTR125-L (wifeys bike)
-1997 KDX 220 project bike
K50X200
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by K50X200 »

diymirage wrote:you can get as good (if not better) a power output by rewinding the stator yourself at a fraction of the cost of an aftermarket one

there is a thread about it somewhere on here...
+1...
"00 KDX200 - Baja Designs D/S Kit, '03 KLX300 Forks, KB5 Suspension Mods, Keihn 35 ASQV, Boyesen Rad Valve, Gnarly Woods Pipe
adam728
Supporting Member

Post by adam728 »

It will only put out the power drawn from it. A 250 watt lighting coil isn't going to push 250 watts through a 5 watt bulb.

That said, you may still be disappointed if you set your hopes too high. An 85 watt coil is 85 watts at some rated rpm, not idle. It might only push 20-30 watts at idle rpm. My bike ended up with a stock headlight, LED tail/brake light in the factory housing, and little 3W blinkers. At idle it would nearly turn the headlight off when the blinkers would try and light. Keeping a toe on the brake light meant there wasn't enough voltage to even click the flasher for the blinkers.
pumpguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by pumpguy »

Just curious, was this output with a stock lighting coil, or something better. If better, what would you estimate the wattage output is?
adam728
Supporting Member

Post by adam728 »

Sorry, I meant to say that my bike had an upgraded coil, and "85W" Moose branded one.