Is this baseline jetting safe to start with..??

Got questions? We got answers....
Davenay67

Is this baseline jetting safe to start with..??

Post by Davenay67 »

I have done numerous maintenance items to the bike since I picked it up recently; new plug, new oil in crankcase, clean and oil the air filter, new gas/oil in the tank, chain lubed, etc.

The bike ran great when I got it but spooged very heavily. I stripped and cleaned the carbs, taking note of the jets in there. It had a #48 pilot and a #150 main. I have since fitted new Mikuni jets; #42 pilot and #155 main.

The bike has a Pro Circuit expansion pipe and Pro Circuit muffler with spark arrestor. Also Boyesen power reeds. Mix ratio is 40:1 on Amsoil interceptor.

Is this a safe starting point to begin jetting as per the guide..?? I tried to done some preliminary jetting in my driveway, but wasn't getting anywhere (turning the air screw wasn't having much affect). I suspect the bike really needs to be brought up to temp and I was getting aware of the noise and smoke I was making in out very quiet cul-de-sac..!!

Planning to take it out for a full day of riding, and do the jetting at the start of that day.

Am I good to go, or should I change any of the setup first..??

Thanks..!!

Dave. :)
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Is this baseline jetting safe to start with..??

Post by bufftester »

Should be in the ballpark, but the only way to really tell is follow the jetting guide. BTW how did you fit Mikuni jets in a Kehein carb?
Davenay67

Post by Davenay67 »

bufftester wrote:Should be in the ballpark, but the only way to really tell is follow the jetting guide. BTW how did you fit Mikuni jets in a Kehein carb?
My bad, meant to say genuine Keihin jets. Was looking at my street bike in the garage yesterday, and had Mikuni on the brain. :roll:

Planning to follow the jetting guide, I just want to make sure I'm not running a bad setup that might harm the bike.

Thanks..!!
Joshmcmillan
Supporting Member

Post by Joshmcmillan »

42/155 is a good start :)
07' CR450X (Main Bike)
07' KX125 (Completed basket case rebuild, for sale)
88' KDX200 (Not sure yet, runs but with rattly top end)
91' CBR250RR
Old Bikes: 97' KDX200, 00' RM125, 85' XR350, 94' KDX200, 02' CR80, 82' XT250, 98' CT200
newbbewb
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by newbbewb »

bufftester wrote:Should be in the ballpark, but the only way to really tell is follow the jetting guide. BTW how did you fit Mikuni jets in a Kehein carb?

With a hammer, duh :kick:
93 kdx200-Highly modified
89 kx125/kdx200E engine
Buelldustin@gmail.com