E series exhaust silencer upgrade?

Got questions? We got answers....
kdxcruzer

Post by kdxcruzer »

We have a 1990 kdx 200 with the stock pipe and silencer. Has anyone ran the stock pipe with an aftermarket silencer. Any change in performance or sound? Suggestions on silencer brand?

We changed out the silencer only on a '87 200 air cooled and it leaned it out and woke it up a touch. Used the DG brand. Same result possible with '89 and up liquid cooled? Thanks
marrk_us
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Re: E series exhaust silencer upgrade?

Post by marrk_us »

I've had a few E series and the stock silencer flows fine. I'd just repack it and save your money for a pipe. That and a set of reeds are the best bang for ur buck on the E series. I've run aftermarket silencers, they were louder but didn't notice any gains over stock.
sarrant

Post by sarrant »

The E series stock silencer is excellent (Not a clunky thing like the stock C series). It is lightweight, repackable, quiet, and makes great power. I own both an Answer and an FMF turbine core, and I can assure you that none are better in any significant way than stock

A new pipe, on the other hand, will give significant performance gains.
KDXrider1989

Re: E series exhaust silencer upgrade?

Post by KDXrider1989 »

aftermarket silencer will just change the sound, you want to switch out the pipe and then rejet, it'll really wake the bike up. the stock pipe has an inner perforated liner kinda like a resonator, while its good at quieting the bike down it absorbs the pressure waves in the pipe that are useful for sending unburned fuel back into the cylinder and robs the motor of power, not to mention its heavier than an aftermarket pipe