well....I've took the plunge

Got questions? We got answers....
fulltiltboogie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

well....I've took the plunge

Post by fulltiltboogie »

I ordered an air striker from RB. Due to the recent install of an autoclutch I am on the quest for some serious power. Holy cow.... there are so many needle choices. I want this thing to hit hard in low end. Think about it.......if your KDX is like mine it has to be on the pipe to make it scream. I need some snap and some revs as soon as I twist it. Don't get me wrong......I think I'm finally starting to like the autoclutch its just completetly different from a certain standpoint. No more slipping the clutch to get the revs into orbit right from the start. Yeah I've added spring washers to bring more slippage into play but its still not to my liking. Maybe its just supposed to work this way. I tell you what though.......you can dead stop on ANY hill and it will take off with hardly any spin whatsoever and just tractor right up. Its made my KDX a different animal. Is there plenty of room to route all the new vent hoses? Any needles you think I should get to try? Any tips appreciated.
Last edited by fulltiltboogie on 03:00 am Oct 30 2005, edited 3 times in total.
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Wow... something I can't comment on. :evil:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
jafo
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by jafo »

Curious here. Ah, what brand of auto clutch do you have?

Jon.
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car."
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

The CEK gives the KDX a powerful hit right off the bottom. With my KDX220, I can be at idle speed in second gear with my autoclutch, wick the throttle to 1/4 and instantly pull a wheelie. (Loop it if I held the throttle) Carver doesn't like it because it requires a very steady throttle hand. I LOVE it!!! The hit right off bottom is the best feature of the RB modded Air Striker.

It is critical to have jetting very crisp. I have a 38 pilot, 145 main, and CEK needle on the 3rd clip position (counting from the top down; or, if you prefer, the middle position. I run 50/50 C-12 and premium mixed 40:1 with Maxima SuperM. I ride at approx. 3000 ft but the jetting is good down to sealevel on warm days and to 6000 if you don't mind a little spooge.

I does sound like your a bit anemic on power and that's why you aren't a pleased with the autoclutch as I am. I find it very responsive and always the right amount of clutch at the right time. My KX250 is a bit different; It slips more but then the bike is geared taller too. I like it on the KX because that bike did stall; A LOT!! Now it's a dream to ride but slips the clutch in places I would have just bulldogged through.

Jafo; we both have the EFM
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

I second the CEK. :supz:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
wanaride
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by wanaride »

Does the CEK give a powerful hit for the OEM carb without the RB mod? I don't have the RB mod (yet) and I like a hit...I have the stock needle now.

150/42/1173-2nd from top, AS 1.5 turns out, tons of spooge, 40:1 Maxima K-2 with 93 octane pump gas.
I love someone with autism!

2006 KTM 250XCW
2003 KDX200
2006 CRF70
2006 KTM 50 Mini Adventure
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Hmmmm..... that's a good question!

The RB mod is a carb bored to 36mm from 35mm on the 200. I assume Ron does this to make up for the plate he puts in the intake side. He cuts the slide to a #7 which is leaner. I would say because of the leaner slide cut... no.

If your slide was cut to a #7 then I would say probably because the rest of the mods shouldn't make too big of a difference with the needle selection.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

On a non-bored/non-RB'd 35mm carb with a #5 slide i'd use a CEL instead of a CEK. It should give similar results to the CEK in the RB'd carbs. The divider plate functionally makes the 36mm bore back into a 35mm bore. If you use the CEL your going to want to be in the -3 or -4 clip position. You'll most likely also end up dropping your pilot down to a 40 to get a clean throttle response on the bottom.

-Maurice
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

FTB... I think you only need two needles depending on where and how you ride and that is the DEK and the CEK. Ron will sell ya the other needle cheap so request both.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

Green Hornet
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Green Hornet »

>|<>QBB<
wanaride wrote:Does the CEK give a powerful hit for the OEM carb without the RB mod? I don't have the RB mod (yet) and I like a hit...I have the stock needle now.

150/42/1173-2nd from top, AS 1.5 turns out, tons of spooge, 40:1 Maxima K-2 with 93 octane pump gas.
You will need a #7 slide or have the RB Mod Done. It will run rich if you don't, very rich, four stroking rich. I have tried and failed :mrgreen:
"Growing Old is Mandatory, Growing Up is Optional"
2008 KLX450R
2008 DRZ400SM
2005 KDX 220R
1985 KDX 200A3
2005 KLX 125L (SONS)
2003 KTM 50SX Pro Jr
B Senior # 254/0092

http://sponsorhouse.loopd.com/Members/R ... fault.aspx
Thanks to my 2008 Sponsers:
Dunlop, SteelMX, Amsoil, Simpson, Pro Works Racing, Pro Moto Billet, SLAP Energy,Boyesen, Rhino Stands, SixSixOne/SunLine Moto for your support.
John W Read Jr
quailchaser
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by quailchaser »

>|<>QBB<
Indawoods wrote:FTB... I think you only need two needles depending on where and how you ride and that is the DEK and the CEK. Ron will sell ya the other needle cheap so request both.
Not to hi jack this thread, but...... :mrgreen:

We were cutting ST sections of the course for the up comming AMRA GP race. There were lot's of of rocks. So many rocks, that underneath the rocks, where more rocks. Up hills, down hills, across hills, in the wash, everywhere....ROCKS. Picture riding on bowling balls...some full sized, some broken in 1/2. Unfortunately, they were running practice and races on the MX track so we didn't get a chance to tie in those sections. There will also be an "enduro cross" section (logs, mud holes, boulders) that we did not tie in because it's not finished yet.

Anyway, I found that the "hit" of the CEK needle in the RB modded Air Striker was less than desirable in the particlular sections we were setting up today. A little "whisky throttle" on a nasty rocky up hill, put me on my back. The KDX would've never done that prior to RB. :supz:

I was on a limited time schedule, so I didn't get a chance to throw in the DEK. I have some mixed feelings about changing to the DEK. I think as much of a handicap the "hit" was with the CEK in the tight stuff, it's going to make up for that in the enduro cross seciton and MX section. Next weekend, we will be flagging the course and finishing ST sections and tieing in all the rest of the sections. I should have time to play with needles a bit and give some feedback here.

Later
Robb
Robb
*Sold* but not forgotten '03 KDX220R
'02 KX250
PW80 for the Gman
XR50R with Zuk yellow plastic and pink starlet stikers...soon to be Katiebugs ride.
AMA
Off Camber M/C
BRC
AZOHVC
fulltiltboogie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by fulltiltboogie »

Is this "hit" ya'll speak of right off idle? A violent take off is what I am looking for. The way this EFM works I think it could handle any kind of initail hit and do nothing but put the power to the ground with little or no wheelspin.
m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

>|<>QBB<
fulltiltboogie wrote:Is this "hit" ya'll speak of right off idle? A violent take off is what I am looking for. The way this EFM works I think it could handle any kind of initail hit and do nothing but put the power to the ground with little or no wheelspin.
I think thats why Ski likes the CEK so much, with the Autoclutch it helps take hit and use it to get you going.
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

quailchaser: Next time just "detune" by adjusting the air screw in a little. The hit will tame down considerable.
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
quailchaser
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by quailchaser »

>|<>QBB<
skipro3 wrote:quailchaser: Next time just "detune" by adjusting the air screw in a little. The hit will tame down considerable.
Yes, good idea. :prayer: Unfortunatly, this hit came around 1/4 - 3/4 throttle. With the RB head mod and Air striker, there is definatley a hit in the mid range. :mrgreen: I really like it...just not use to it, especially in the harsh terrain we were running. :shock: Apparently my damper was turned way soft as well. :? That certainly didn't help. Still, I'm curious as to how the DEK will respond compared to the CEK. We'll be out trying to burn in the rest of the ST for the course this weekend. Should have a chance to do some experiementing.
:wink:
Later
Robb
*Sold* but not forgotten '03 KDX220R
'02 KX250
PW80 for the Gman
XR50R with Zuk yellow plastic and pink starlet stikers...soon to be Katiebugs ride.
AMA
Off Camber M/C
BRC
AZOHVC