How old is too old?

Got questions? We got answers....
Pirate

How old is too old?

Post by Pirate »

Hey guys. I'm just getting into dirtbiking, and I'm looking for a bike. I've been all over craigslist, and found lots of KDX200s, but some of them are pretty old (~25 years or older).
So my question is how old is too old? I know that guys with experience can use and maintain very old bikes, but for a beginner what bikes would be best for me to ignore? I was kinda thinking 1995+ simply because I like air cooled more than water cooled.

Thanks for the help guys. As you can probably tell, I'm just getting my bearings with KDXs.
C George
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

How old is too old?

Post by C George »

I'd look at 15-20 years as the oldest to be serious about , even then it would have to be well maintained.

They havn't made the 200 for 8 years and the 220 for 9.

There's some good deals to be had if your patient. Bummer is the high demand this time of year.

I stopped and looked at an OLD KDX-50 beside the road today and they wanted $600 ,,, ouch !
But I wasn't serious anyway.

Good Luck
05 KDX-220R / 06 KDX-225R / Maxima 927 / Millenium Tech / Ron Black / PC , FMF / Many 220 engine mods / 40 + yrs. of riding dirt bikes 🤟🤟
sarrant

Re: How old is too old?

Post by sarrant »

All 95+ kdxs are essentially the same bike, so within that range, condition is more important than age.

Not sure what you're getting at with the air/water cooled comment, but all full-sized kdxs from 1989 onward are liquid cooled, prior all are air cooled
Pirate

How old is too old?

Post by Pirate »

Thanks for the help guys. I didn't realize it's been so long since they went out of production.

Sarrant: I held the belief the all 94 and earlier bikes were water cooled, while later bikes were air cooled. I don't know which is preferable (if either), so I won't used the cooling system as a means of determining which bike to buy.
newbbewb
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by newbbewb »

don't let mileage or VISABLE condition be the only determining factor. whatever bike you get is still that many years old. dirt bikes are a tool upon which we beat. IMO, the amount of service the bike has had is the more important item dealing with ANY bike. A spray paint job, new pipe and seat cover are things that will catch your eye but still leave you with a crappy running bike which is NO fun. on the same note, clean kips valves and a recent piston can still come in a kinda ugly package that runs like a scalded cat. just sayin'

I guess the more important question is how much time to you have to fix a couple of small items vs. spending more $$$ on something new or newish?
kdx are GREAT bikes, I will be buried with at least two kdx powered bikes, but they are getting grey hairs. Old man can still break you off though!
93 kdx200-Highly modified
89 kx125/kdx200E engine
Buelldustin@gmail.com
Joshmcmillan
Supporting Member

Post by Joshmcmillan »

Sarrant is correct when he says 1989 and onwards are ALL water-cooled. But this is a GOOD thing!

I'd highly recommend a KDX200 as a beginner bike, even just little things to me make it such a perfect bike. Like compared to any other bike I've ever worked on, the carburettor is just so easy to remove (on both my 94 and my 97). I'd recommend the 1995+ just because since I upgraded I've enjoyed the easier access to parts, and in terms of age alone and it's easier to find one with non-perished plastics and decent suspension.

@Newbbewd, that's definitely right, but in my opinion, you have to consider the fact that a set of plastics costs more than a top-end rebuild kit. And a couple of kips valves is cheaper and easier than a seat cover and frame respray. Ideally you'd have it all though :)
Maybe my opinion is formed by the fact that my 94 KDX had an absolutely mint engine, new top and bottom end, reconditioned cylinder, new kips valves... but it was ruined by the slippery ugly seat cover, perished/cracked old plastics, leaking fuel tank and way too much play /knocking sound in the suspension. I upgraded to a 97 model with new plastics, tidy frame, reconditioned suspension, and I loved the fact that I could spend an hour and $150 and chuck a new piston in it/clean the kips valves and it was ready to go.
07' CR450X (Main Bike)
07' KX125 (Completed basket case rebuild, for sale)
88' KDX200 (Not sure yet, runs but with rattly top end)
91' CBR250RR
Old Bikes: 97' KDX200, 00' RM125, 85' XR350, 94' KDX200, 02' CR80, 82' XT250, 98' CT200
Pirate

How old is too old?

Post by Pirate »

Newbbewb:
Yeah, I actually found a really nice looking 1990 KDX200. http://hartford.craigslist.org/mcy/4414610914.html
It makes sense what you're saying. If it looks nice it's probably been taken care of.
I have a lot of time on my hands. I'm really looking for something to fill that time, so I'm not afraid of spending many hours working on a bike.

Josh:
I didn't know if water cooled was better or not. Good to know now, thanks!
I think I'll keep looking until I find a 1995+ KDX200. I found a nice 1990 (see above link), but I just don't want the problems that are more likely to pop up in an older bike.
Thanks for the help!
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

I ABSOLUTELY and STRONGLY insist that you skip that 1990 on craigslist. There is no way it needs just a cylinder. When it won't start and has mechanical damage, assume the worst and pay the least.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
sarrant

Post by sarrant »

Jason wrote:I ABSOLUTELY and STRONGLY insist that you skip that 1990 on craigslist. There is no way it needs just a cylinder. When it won't start and has mechanical damage, assume the worst and pay the least.
Yeah. There's no bike in the world that only needs a new cylinder. I can't even imagine a scenario where that failure is possible. Short of a guy taking apart a good running engine and then somehow losing the cylinder.

And where can one find a new cylinder for $150? Just getting it plated costs quite a bit more than that.
Pirate

How old is too old?

Post by Pirate »

Thanks for the warning guys. I wouldn't have known that if you guys didn't tell me.
That makes sense now that I'm thinking about it....