1st 2stroke,1st case splitting, looking for help

Got questions? We got answers....
volkoff
Supporting Member

1st 2stroke,1st case splitting, looking for help

Post by volkoff »

Like the subject says this is my 1st 2 stroke and my 1st case splitting job. I have an 03/02 KX220 hybrid in the works. I do not see much traffic on my slow build post there, so I wanted to maybe get a larger mix of opinions on this topic. The 02 220 motor was running what seemed to be fine before I tore the bike apart for the build. I sent the cylinder to Millennium for a re-plate, should have it next week. New Weisco pison/rings. Since financially I can't do this build quickly so I can ride it this summer, I desided to learn a few things and tare into the bottom end. I would like to know what I should replace? I know the rod is a Hot Rod, I am not sure how to tell if the whole crank is. I want to make sure all bearings and seals down there are good or new. The outer clutch bearing is very rough to spin. With the motor still together, no flywheel, or clutch the crank seems smooth in the primary shaft, but when I hold the rod to rotate It there is a feeling comming thru the rod. I do not feel any up and down at the primary gear and there is slop at the rod left and right that makes it tough to feel if there is any vertical play. So if you could let me know things to look for when pulling this aprt to inspect that would be great. New cranks VS rebuilt, OEM cranks or after market? Also there is a plastic gear next to the clutch that has a pin going thru it to hold to the shaft, well that pin is not there. Another reason for wanting to look inside. Basically when this thing is done it should be a PA street legal 03 KX125 02 KDX220 hybrid that you all should be inspired by as I have been inspired by those before me. I ride an 02 XR400 and can not wait for this thing to roll out of the garage. Thank you all in advance.
Tedh98
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Re: 1st 2stroke,1st case splitting, looking for help

Post by Tedh98 »

I am just about done rebuilding my engine. I went the route of replacing everything I could that was between those cases. Splitting the cases isnt difficult it is just time consuming. I didnt want to risk leaving anything old in there that would cause me to have to split the cases again anytime soon.

I went OEM with all the parts inside the cases. Ron Ayers was the best price and I still think they are offering free shipping on orders over $89 or something like that.

If your crank is out of spec, you will have to get your crank rebuilt or order an OEM crank. Wiseco or Hot Rods do not sell complete cranks for the KDX.
diymirage
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by diymirage »

personally I would let it be

unless you are aware of leaking seals you are not mentioning I don't see a reason to get in there
(not sure what you mean with the clutch bearing)
newbbewb wrote:DIYmirage has it right.

-1996 KDX 200 woods weapon (converted to 99 green body)
-1996 KDX 200 plated street toy (barney edition)
-2003 Yamaha TTR125-L (wifeys bike)
-1997 KDX 220 project bike
volkoff
Supporting Member

Post by volkoff »

I am thinking the same thing, out with the old in with the new. As for the clutch bearing.#92405 [album][/album]409