Pro circuit V fmf

Got questions? We got answers....
cornishwrecker220

Pro circuit V fmf

Post by cornishwrecker220 »

Just picked up a new old stock pro circuit platinum pipe for my 220 from good old ebay ! ( we don't get these pipes here in the UK unless you import them which will cost you £££££ ) I was really surprised just how much larger/fatter the expansion chamber is compared to my FMF gnarly & for a moment I thought it may even be the wrong pipe for my bike but it fitted well & sounds great mated to the Power Core2 silencer, again the expansion `bulge` does stick out a little more when mounted up onto the bike & is more noticeable compared to the FMF....I haven't ridden the bike yet so will post up again with my findings on the performance side...stay tuned!. :grin:
Joshmcmillan
Supporting Member

Re: Pro circuit V fmf

Post by Joshmcmillan »

Very interested to hear the results.
07' CR450X (Main Bike)
07' KX125 (Completed basket case rebuild, for sale)
88' KDX200 (Not sure yet, runs but with rattly top end)
91' CBR250RR
Old Bikes: 97' KDX200, 00' RM125, 85' XR350, 94' KDX200, 02' CR80, 82' XT250, 98' CT200
cornishwrecker220

Pro circuit V fmf

Finally fitted & tested the PC pipe on my 220 & here`s what I found..

With the PC pipe installed I found that my 220 had lost some of its low down torque compared to when I was running the FMF (gnarly)...I did have to go up 1 size on my main as I noticed a very slight `bog` when I snapped open the throttle. The transition from mid to high rpm was great with the PC which seemed to add a great deal more `pull` through the mid range accompanied by a terrific sound, it pulls to the moon! yes the PC wins over the FMF in this area......so my conclusion is if you ride single track, wooded tracks, gnarly up hill trails & seldom get out of 3rd or 4th gear then I would recommend the FMF gnarly pipe for the 220 as this pipe greatly enhances the low down power of this motor giving it what seems like even more torque!.. If on the other hand you ride more open trails, fire tracks, sand dunes etc & are throttle happy then the PC is the more suited pipe for the 220 as it gives this bike a more noticeable `pull` through the mid range & a stronger longer lasting up & into the upper rev area ...

Personally I like the way my 220 ran with the FMF , this pipe suits my riding style & where I ride so I think I shall be reinstalling the FMF again in the not to distant future...I don't mind sacrificing some top end for bottom & that pretty much sums up the difference between the two pipes. :hmm:
Joshmcmillan
Supporting Member

Re: Pro circuit V fmf

Post by Joshmcmillan »

Thanks for the write up... I've heard that the PC pipe was somewhere in the middle of the FMF Gnarly and Desert pipes.
07' CR450X (Main Bike)
07' KX125 (Completed basket case rebuild, for sale)
88' KDX200 (Not sure yet, runs but with rattly top end)
91' CBR250RR
Old Bikes: 97' KDX200, 00' RM125, 85' XR350, 94' KDX200, 02' CR80, 82' XT250, 98' CT200
cornishwrecker220

Pro circuit V fmf

I recently had my 220s motor rebuilt along with the cylinder ported,matched & flowed, the head was also machined & the squish set suit along with the ignition retarded slightly, I also managed to find & install the carb off a 1990 kx 125 (36mm) but kept the jet needle ( 3rd clip position ) & slide from my 220 a 38 pilot & 150 main I was running the 35mm carb off a 200 before with good results. The tuner who did all the work set the bike up on his dyno & dialled in all the jetting to suit...this was with the FMF pipe fitted...the bhp was just shy of 40bhp at the wheel..i would say with the PC pipe on I may have even gained a slight increase in hp towards the top end as it did pull stronger for longer this pipe combined with my worked on motor deffo added some umph! ...with the FMF peak power did drop off a little sooner but the bikes over all smooth power built up better but alas dropped off sooner but not that much..take into account my bike was set up with this pipe from the start so perhaps that's why the FMF works better. :hmm: