new DYNA RING issue.

Got questions? We got answers....
RyanKeyte

new DYNA RING issue.

Post by RyanKeyte »

Hi. I bought a dyna ring the other day on ebay and am having a couple issues (1996 kdx 200). I thought i would ask on here if others have had similar experiences. The DR came, I installed it no problem in about 25 mins. It would not disengage at all. I tried various springs from 4 down to 2. Nothing worked. pulling in the clutch had no effect. After toying around with it and several installs, I discovered that someone had replaced ALL of the steel balls with Tungsten Carbide ones. So I pulled a few out, and it seem to KINDA work, but it was not right. $10 later i bought enough steel balls to set it up right. I started with 2 springs, Heavy clutch springs, 30 steel balls, and 6 tungsten balls (a couple others on here like this combo). This was ALOT better, but still not good. The clutch would override the DR, I could idle in gear as I should, BUT the engagement of the DR was very weak. The bike sounded like it had a clutch like a Polaris or something where there was a huge delay in engine RPM to wheel power. I also noticed that the clutch go VERY hot, very fast. What i am thinking is that I am running with too much "gap" in the clutch pack, and with full expansion in the DR, that the DR is still not thick enough to lock the plates tight. I have read about different thrust washer thicknesses, but am not sure if that is the problem. My question is to those that have installed these: Is there any gap in the cluch plates when everything is assembled but without the cover back on? (like a normal clutch is). OR is there a little gap, then with the cover on and cable tight, MORE gap gets created. Does anyone know how thick their clutch pack is? (the frictions, steels, and DR all together). Any insight would help. I am not really sure what I am hoping this to do anyway, I thought I would just try it, if I liked it keep it, if not I will sell it...
My helmet is making it hard for me to hear natural selection screaming my name!!
RyanKeyte

new DYNA RING issue.

Post by RyanKeyte »

I just remembered that my clutch stack with the DR is about .130 THINNER than my stock set up.. This kinda supports my theory a bit..
My helmet is making it hard for me to hear natural selection screaming my name!!
Tedh98
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Re: new DYNA RING issue.

Post by Tedh98 »

There shouldn't be any gap in the clutch pack with the cover off/cable not hooked up.

The gap in the pack is created by tightening the adjuster on the clutch cable.

The one consistent thing about the DR is that some people have no problems and others have nothing but problems.
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

new DYNA RING issue.

Post by SS109 »

Did you get the steels with the DR? IIRC, didn't the H-series DR come with it's own special steels? Also, what is the condition of your frictions?
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
Tedh98
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Tedh98 »

In the other thread you mentioned the steels were discolored. That would mean the PO had the same slipping/overheating problem you are experiencing. That might explain why they went with all tungsten balls to try to resolve the slipping.
Tedh98
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

new DYNA RING issue.

Post by Tedh98 »

SS109 wrote:Did you get the steels with the DR? IIRC, didn't the H-series DR come with it's own special steels? Also, what is the condition of your frictions?
Correct. It also came with thinner frictions as well.

As SS109 mentioned, your frictions may be the problem. Since the steels were discolored, that seems plausible.

With Rekluse applications that use 8 frictions, they have you remove three to make room. Revloc got away with removing just two due to the thinner friction and steels.

Even if you can get replacements(highly unlikely), they wont be cheap and it will take some time. To rule out the frictions, i would try taking 5 of your stock frictions and see if you can make them fit. I would also try to see if you can use the stock steels as well. If the pack thickness is getting too much with 5 stock frictions, i would at least try to scuff up the thinner Revloc steels in case they are glazed over.

One other thing I would look at is the DR itself. Make sure that it can expand to its maximum width without any hangups or glitches.
ecojbr
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

new DYNA RING issue.

Post by ecojbr »

I had best results after I had machined .015 off the surface of both the inner and outer hubs/pressure plate. Gets you closer to proper clearance with less tension on the cable
04 kx220 hybrid
03 kx 250
05 kdx 200
RyanKeyte

Post by RyanKeyte »

Yes, I have all new frictions and steels, both are thinner than their OEM counterparts. The Frictions are about .015 thinner, and the steels are a little more than that IIRC. I was thinking the same thing about running a couple OEM steels or frictions to get the stack thicker. The DR itself is good, looks like it had never been used.. I might sell the set-up, Im really not sure why i have it nor what i am hoping it will do for me. Also, the KDX might be getting more seat time from my oldest son, and I'd hate to spoil him with nice stuff!!!