Wheels and spokes

Got questions? We got answers....
Brom32

Wheels and spokes

Post by Brom32 »

My wheels are crooked because a few spokes came out. Front and back. My dad said that I should just buy new wheels instead of replacing the spokes and adjusting them myself since it is a bit "difficult" (his words, not mine).

Should I just buy new wheels and if so is there any other wheels compatible with a 04 Kdx200? If I do replace them will I need any thing special?

-thanks

04 Kdx200 w/ PC Platinum 2
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Wheels and spokes

Post by SS109 »

it is much cheaper to just replace few spokes than to get new rims. Get factory Kawasaki replacements or get them through http://www.buchananspokes.net/. While adjusting spoke tension on the whole wheel can be tricky, if your rims are still straight, it is real easy. Just tighten until when you tap on the spoke it sounds the same as the rest.
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
ICRage42
Supporting Member

Wheels and spokes

Post by ICRage42 »

What he said and if you want a good deal on a front rim complete I have one in the for sale section. Hogwashe12@yahoo.com email me Ill send you more pics.

As for hitting them for sound. I really like my tusk spoke torque wrench. It takes a lot of guessing out of tightening spokes imo. But that method works well too.
If you cant fix it with a hammer, you have an electrical problem.
newbbewb
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Re: Wheels and spokes

Post by newbbewb »

lacing and truing up a wheel is kinda an art. it will require a truing stand, which you can build. it will take around 2-3 hours each your first couple of wheels. getting hop out of the wheel will be your biggest concern, and might possibly have you throwing out some four letter words. a slight wobble can be fixed with new spokes, but will NOT take a bend out. before you go buy a few extra spokes, make sure the existing ones can be adjusted, as these bikes are getting old and old spokes tend to seize up, rendering them useless. at least for my 93 kdx, the factory excel wheels worked quite well, and as long as no cracks near the weld, are worthy of a spoke kit rather than a new wheel. FWIW, make sure the holes where the missing spokes are aren't guaged out, which happens by running loose spokes.
93 kdx200-Highly modified
89 kx125/kdx200E engine
Buelldustin@gmail.com
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Wheels and spokes

Post by 6 Riders »

So I know a guy......
Really, you could also pay to have your wheels trued for you, still a lot cheaper than new wheels. The guy that does my wheels is an artist when it comes to truing wheels and I rarely ever have to touch them again...well, take them back to him (under warranty).
newbbewb wrote:^what he said.
masterblaster wrote:Man 6 riders you rock.
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type