What size trailer?

Got questions? We got answers....
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: What size trailer?

Post by 6 Riders »

Those bolts are plenty to hold your bike down, probably way over kill but they won't break on you. I also like that they are the solid ring. Drill a hole that is the same size as the bolt, looks like 7/16"...but I can't tell for sure. If the drill bit goes through the nut, barely touching the threads...you have the right size.
Loading and tying down bikes will be easier if you put some plywood down...1/2" might work, since you would be laying it over the mesh. If you don't care for that idea, have a small piece of ply 1'X1" would be plenty big. Roll your bike onto the trailer, put the side stand down on the piece of plywood, this just keeps the stand from falling through the mesh, hook your straps to the trailer, then the bars, put some tension on the side stand side, just snug, not "tied down tight".....go to the other side and tighten down until the bike comes off the stand an inch or two.....the other strap will keep the bike from falling over.....Once the bike is fairly upright, it won't be perfect or super stable at this point....you can then start tightening each side until the forks compress and your bike is standing straight up and doesn't wobble.
BTW, I use the "pull" type straps, not ratchet straps, as they are easier for me to set. If you ever order from RMATV, they have some nice straps for $16.
newbbewb wrote:^what he said.
masterblaster wrote:Man 6 riders you rock.
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type
diymirage
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by diymirage »

what him said ;)
I have a set of ratchet straps that I prefer over the pull type
I only use these and always put them on the same spot
what I do is ride the bike up unto the trailer with the front wheel in a chock (not necessary but nice nonetheless) http://www.ebay.com/itm/3-5-Inch-Motorc ... 88&vxp=mtr

then with the bike on the stand (I have the same mesh floor and it does fine without plywood) I hook both straps onto the corners or on the u bolts I mounted to the top rail
with the long end hooked up I put the ratcheting side of the straps on the barkbuster and give them one or two cranks, just enough to tighten the straps enough to keep the bottom hooks from falling out (with the smaller eye bolts you bought that doesn't seem very likely)
now, seated on the bike, I kick the stand back and I balance the bike by sitting on it
then I move the straps from the barkbusters to the handlebars and tighten them down

unloading is even easier , I sit on the bike and hit the release on both straps at the same time and im good to go :lol:
newbbewb wrote:DIYmirage has it right.

-1996 KDX 200 woods weapon (converted to 99 green body)
-1996 KDX 200 plated street toy (barney edition)
-2003 Yamaha TTR125-L (wifeys bike)
-1997 KDX 220 project bike
goodoboy
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by goodoboy »

diymirage wrote:what him said ;)
] I hook both straps onto the corners or on the u bolts I mounted to the top rail
]\:
Like this corner here http://i1275.photobucket.com/albums/y45 ... 2022f9.jpg

Still a bit confused on how to get the bike upright. Should I put the kick stand down and then mount the straps? I am thinking to just put the kick stand down, connect both straps in the corners like in the pictures above with some lag, then connect the other end of the straps to the handle bars, and then just tighten them up and then get off the bike. Making sure to not compress too much.

My concern is that the rachet I bought will slip off the corners or handle bars. I guess beginner thoughts. http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/s ... -work-load

thanks
goodoboy
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by goodoboy »

6 Riders wrote:Those bolts are plenty to hold your bike down, probably way over kill but they won't break on you. I also like that they are the solid ring. Drill a hole that is the same size as the bolt, looks like 7/16"...but I can't tell for sure. If the drill bit goes through the nut, barely touching the threads...you have the right size.
Loading and tying down bikes will be easier if you put some plywood down...1/2" might work, since you would be laying it over the mesh. If you don't care for that idea, have a small piece of ply 1'X1" would be plenty big. Roll your bike onto the trailer, put the side stand down on the piece of plywood, this just keeps the stand from falling through the mesh, hook your straps to the trailer, then the bars, put some tension on the side stand side, just snug, not "tied down tight".....go to the other side and tighten down until the bike comes off the stand an inch or two.....the other strap will keep the bike from falling over.....Once the bike is fairly upright, it won't be perfect or super stable at this point....you can then start tightening each side until the forks compress and your bike is standing straight up and doesn't wobble.
BTW, I use the "pull" type straps, not ratchet straps, as they are easier for me to set. If you ever order from RMATV, they have some nice straps for $16.
Thanks for the help. I will try and drill a holes in the morning and the method you described without sitting on the bike as I posted above.

My bolts are 1/2 in diameter , so I just need to make sure my drill bit barely fits the nut of the 1/2 bolt, correct?
goodoboy
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by goodoboy »

6 Riders wrote:Those bolts are plenty to hold your bike down, probably way over kill but they won't break on you. I also like that they are the solid ring. Drill a hole that is the same size as the bolt, looks like 7/16"...but I can't tell for sure. If the drill bit goes through the nut, barely touching the threads...you have the right size.
I am using http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/s ... -pack-of-2 these. But I may return for these http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/s ... -pack-of-2, i think the 1/2 may be too big. I don't know.
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

goodoboy wrote:
My bolts are 1/2 in diameter , so I just need to make sure my drill bit barely fits the nut of the 1/2 bolt, correct?
Use the 1/2 inch drill bit, or for a fit where you have to thread the bolt into the hole, the next size down (15/32 I think).
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

goodoboy wrote: I am using http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/s ... -pack-of-2 these. But I may return for these http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/s ... -pack-of-2, i think the 1/2 may be too big. I don't know.
If the store is right there, these yes go ahead and use the smaller ones. The WLL of those are 1400 pounds, that means the "breaking point" is around 2200#, more than enough for a 230# bike. Also, the hole that you drill will be smaller, leaving more metal to support the bolt. Why you are trading them, pick up 4 "heavy as you can get" washers that fit the new bolts and use those on both sides of the frame.....Should go; ----(frame)----@, that is; bolt, washer, frame, washer, nut. This will give you a bit more strength at the frame, which is most likely going to be the weak point with those bolts.
ICRage42
Supporting Member

Post by ICRage42 »

Wow seems like a lot of over kill to me. I just use the angle iron uprights to secure off of. I have the same trailer and I don't have anything mounted to secure to I just throw a strap down to the rails. That's what they are for really. I haul a ton with this trailer. Concrete, lime, tools, kdx, atv, toolboxes, fridges, cow poop, welders, branches after a storm, mulch. It looks like the day I bought it. BTW you can haul 8 ft sheets with it too. I just hang it up front and don't take too much of a turn, did a two room job that way.

Those hookups might get in your way of doing anything else but if your really just using to haul the kdx its a good idea.

If you want to buy a wheel chock but you have some cut off wood blocks like 4x4 cut offs just wire them to the mesh on both sides of the wheel that's what I do and it works fine didn't cost me a penny and easy to remove and put back on I just cut the tie wire off and replace when I put the bike back on.

Lately with mine I just go diagonal. I pull up onto ramp and put front wheel in either corner and strap off first to the right corner up front and get off bike and strap the rest. When I close the gate I make sure rear doenst move all over and strap it close to the right rail and do the other corners. 4 corner tie off so to say. I use ratchet straps but I also tie off my excess this also helps if ratchet breaks.

For the most part works great for me. Most Ive ventured was about an hour away to a few places. Only thing Ive worried about is high winds and traveling. Mostly messing up the radiator fins. Ive thought about making a make shift cover for traveling that covers radiators. I hit a huge storm here coming home one time from some trails and WOW it was mighty fun pulling that small trailer. It loves to float on water sway with the rushing water easily too. Youd think its kinda heavy but in reality its fairly light with the kdx on there and its leaf springs. Three bikes is about the comfort zone where its not bouncing its contents about. But the storm I had came quick and left quick was a nightmare for me I pulled off to the side and looked for a tornado. About 4 mins go by and it was over. The kdx acted like a wind barrier and I seen the trailer in the left mirror going straight down the road. Hit a little bump and it was enough and with the wind to push the trailer sideways a bit.

I have a Ford Ranger to pull with so its made to haul. Now a car with a trailer and the kdx should be fine but your once again limited to what you can really haul. You have to consider too that the trailer helps carry the load too with its springs so in reality youll look like the ol lady went grocery shoppin for the month and got the trunk loaded.

Since your new to the trailer scene I would suggest getting some flag rods for your upper front corners of your trailer and go to a parking lot at night and practice with the trailer backing up. Your worst nightmare is a jackknife. But youll need the ability to move it anywhere so practice practice practice.

200 straps put on wrong and or in the wrong place is just as bad as not having any on there at all too. Just use common sense and youll get it you have a pretty good idea from the sounds of it now.

Nice trailer happy trailerin! :partyman:
If you cant fix it with a hammer, you have an electrical problem.
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

Yeah I don't have any hooks or bolt eyes I just use the trailer frame, there are a couple of hook points built into it. I also use a short piece of 2x4 (about a foot long) that goes between the front wheel and the bottom of the front fender. One ratchet strap on each side, tighten it down so the 2x4 is wedged between the wheel and the lower triple and go. I started using the wood (they also make a plastic one I've seen for sale) because I had straps come off on rough road when the front end compressed enough to let the hooks loose,
goodoboy
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by goodoboy »

ICRage42 wrote:Wow seems like a lot of over kill to me. I just use the angle iron uprights to secure off of. I have the same trailer and I don't have anything mounted to secure to I just throw a strap down to the rails. That's what they are for really. I haul a ton with this trailer. Concrete, lime, tools, kdx, atv, toolboxes, fridges, cow poop, welders, branches after a storm, mulch. It looks like the day I bought it. BTW you can haul 8 ft sheets with it too. I just hang it up front and don't take too much of a turn, did a two room job that way.

Those hookups might get in your way of doing anything else but if your really just using to haul the kdx its a good idea.

If you want to buy a wheel chock but you have some cut off wood blocks like 4x4 cut offs just wire them to the mesh on both sides of the wheel that's what I do and it works fine didn't cost me a penny and easy to remove and put back on I just cut the tie wire off and replace when I put the bike back on.

Lately with mine I just go diagonal. I pull up onto ramp and put front wheel in either corner and strap off first to the right corner up front and get off bike and strap the rest. When I close the gate I make sure rear doenst move all over and strap it close to the right rail and do the other corners. 4 corner tie off so to say. I use ratchet straps but I also tie off my excess this also helps if ratchet breaks.

For the most part works great for me. Most Ive ventured was about an hour away to a few places. Only thing Ive worried about is high winds and traveling. Mostly messing up the radiator fins. Ive thought about making a make shift cover for traveling that covers radiators. I hit a huge storm here coming home one time from some trails and WOW it was mighty fun pulling that small trailer. It loves to float on water sway with the rushing water easily too. Youd think its kinda heavy but in reality its fairly light with the kdx on there and its leaf springs. Three bikes is about the comfort zone where its not bouncing its contents about. But the storm I had came quick and left quick was a nightmare for me I pulled off to the side and looked for a tornado. About 4 mins go by and it was over. The kdx acted like a wind barrier and I seen the trailer in the left mirror going straight down the road. Hit a little bump and it was enough and with the wind to push the trailer sideways a bit.

I have a Ford Ranger to pull with so its made to haul. Now a car with a trailer and the kdx should be fine but your once again limited to what you can really haul. You have to consider too that the trailer helps carry the load too with its springs so in reality youll look like the ol lady went grocery shoppin for the month and got the trunk loaded.

Since your new to the trailer scene I would suggest getting some flag rods for your upper front corners of your trailer and go to a parking lot at night and practice with the trailer backing up. Your worst nightmare is a jackknife. But youll need the ability to move it anywhere so practice practice practice.

200 straps put on wrong and or in the wrong place is just as bad as not having any on there at all too. Just use common sense and youll get it you have a pretty good idea from the sounds of it now.

Nice trailer happy trailerin! :partyman:
Thank you . Good idea on the 4x4.

Thanks
goodoboy
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by goodoboy »

Thank you all for the help.

Today I hualed the bike on my trailer and tied the bike to the corner pockets (angle iron on the frame) that came with the trailer. It towed really well as I rode to the track.

I didn't use the the bolt hook ups. Also, on the way back it rained hard and I just kept on towing. I do plan to get two more straps for the back tire.

I hope it didnt mess nothing up with bike getting wet. I dried the seat off.
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

Not going to hurt that bike towing it in weather. I've sunk mine in a 6 ft deep creek and it's still going hard. The only way you'll hurt it towing is if it falls off the trailer.
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

bufftester wrote:Not going to hurt that bike towing it in weather. I've sunk mine in a 6 ft deep creek and it's still going hard. The only way you'll hurt it towing is if it falls off the trailer.
Falls off AND gets run over by the guy behind you! LOL
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

bufftester wrote:Not going to hurt that bike towing it in weather. I've sunk mine in a 6 ft deep creek and it's still going hard. The only way you'll hurt it towing is if it falls off the trailer.
Falls off AND gets run over by the guy behind you! LOL
diymirage
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by diymirage »

6 Riders wrote: Falls off AND gets run over by the two guys behind you! LOL
fixed it for you :lol:

but since we brought it up, that is why I always run on strap across the back of the trailer and around the rear wheel
IF one of the front straps might come off at least the bike doenst fly off the trailer at 85 MPH

goodoboy
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by goodoboy »

Cool, Nice to know cause I worried.

So far so good.
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

Tie it down with a little pressure on the front end, you do not need to completely compress the forks. In fact, if you can lift the rear wheel up easily after it's tied down, it's to tight. At this point you are good. Shouldn't take much practice. If you over tighten the front straps, the rear will bounce around on you. But, since you are towing w/an open trailer, 2 straps to the bike and 1 to hold the rear in place and you will be MORE than safe.
You made me want to make a video of how to tie down a dirt bike. I've seen some pretty messed up stuff show up at the trails!
diymirage
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by diymirage »

here ya go six

[youtube][/youtube]
oh, by the way, the last one, that starts at about the 2 minute mark...yeah, ive done that
thinking I would get a head start and get the bikes on the trailer before the wifey came home and it did the same thing, as soon as the bike got on the trailer the nosewheel popped and it started sliding down the driveway towards the street

I ended up dumping the bike, jumping off and in front of the trailer to stop it from rolling into rush hour traffic

diymirage
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by diymirage »

and one that's a bit more informative

[youtube][/youtube]

6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

I just have to say.....I don't ride my bike into the trailer. Rarely do I even use the motor. I just push it on in, w/straps ready to go, and tie it down. My trailers are not so tall (like a pick up bed) that I need the motor to get it into the trailer.