FMF TurbineCore 2 Vs. Stock

Got questions? We got answers....
GOT WOODS?

Post by GOT WOODS? »

So I did a bunch of searches and it seems like swapping out the TurbineCore 2 with the stock 2003 KDX220 would not make any difference in performance and I would not have to repack the silencer every couple of rides. I'm not being lazy here, I keep my bike at a friend's house during riding season and maintenance of most types means I have to haul it back to my place. Plus I get ridiculously busy during the riding season and just riding the bike takes a major scheduling effort. Doing something like changing silencer packing when I have a stock silencer I can put on just seems like a needless waste of my nearly nonexistent free time that could be devoted to riding.

So my bike specs are:
2003 KDX 220
Boysen reeds (don't know which ones, came with the bike)
Gnarly woods pipe
Snorkel off airbox lid (no holes drilled though)

Questions:
Will the stock silencer bolt right up to the FMF pipe?
Will there be any noticeable change in the power delivery?
Will I have to do any jetting changes?
Any downsides at all to this other than the looks?
A 2003 KDX 200 stock silencer is identical to a stock 2003 KDX 220 silencer, right?

Thanks HUGE for any insight you guys can shine on this. Man I love this bike and don't want to do anything stupid with it to degrade the awesomeness which it currently possesses.
2003 KDX200: Bone stock

2003 KDX 220:
Boyesen reeds
Gnarly Gold Series pipe
Turbine Core 2 silencer
Fat Bars
Super Sport IMS pegs
Cycra Probend hand guards
Tusk dualsport light kit
LED headlamp
Boyesen Factory Racing mag cover
Airbox snorkel removed
Wiesco piston and rings
KDXrider1989

Re: FMF TurbineCore 2 Vs. Stock

Post by KDXrider1989 »

yes the stock silencer will bolt up to the fmf
you shouldn't see any noticeable difference in power, maybe a lil more responsiveness with the fmf
you shouldn't need to rejet, maybe just readjust your air screw
the stock silencer is heavier than the fmf
yes both silencers are identical, in fact I'm trying to sell one
cornishwrecker220

Post by cornishwrecker220 »

I ran the stock silencer for a while on my 220 last year (while I was welding up a crack in the FMF powercore2 silencer) & noticed that it didn't pull nowhere as good as with the FMF silencer....almost like there was a cork in the exhaust ....I hated it !
If you re-pack the FMF silencer with the FMF pink string packing ( for 2 strokes ) it should last much longer than the usual wadding that's available on the market...mine has been in now for just over a year & its still reasonably quiet ..until you`re on the pipe! :grin:
adam728
Supporting Member

Re: FMF TurbineCore 2 Vs. Stock

Post by adam728 »

My memories from swapping back and forth
stock weighs a ton, but can't tell when riding
sound is about the same
power I could not tell a difference
throttle response may have been about 1% better with the FMF

Stock was definitely not a cork. 220 with porting, head mod, FMF rev pipe, bored carb, etc. Dual sported, road trails, raced harescrambles and some mx. Aftermarket silencers on this bike are for weight savings and bling, but not exactly power.