Advice needed to wire lights

Got questions? We got answers....
carts69
Supporting Member

Post by carts69 »

Ok.... I have a polis port headlight with 3 connecting prongs to wire up, a switch with 6 wires, 1 blue = tail light, 1 red = power, 1 yellow = high beam, 1 green = lo beam, 1 white = kill switch & 1 black = kill switch, from the loom I have 4 wires = 1 black, 1 yellow (which is live) and 2 reds which seem dead (no power from them)
Have any of you guys got an idea what should go where, I have managed to get the light working but it's constantly live and not working at the switch? Thanks in advance.
cornishwrecker220

Post by cornishwrecker220 »

The rear tail light stays on all the time on my kdx 220...( even with the lights `off` ) the switch I run is a cheap enduro item from ebay,... lights off,.. lo beam,..hi beam & kill button which I use as the horn button ..I cant recall what coloured wires from the new switch went where but it came with a basic diagram , all I did was to run the motor then find the wire that powered the horn first, once that was sorted finding what worked the lights was easy.
carts69
Supporting Member

Post by carts69 »

Thanks Cornish, spent all afternoon but have sorted it now, thanks again
carts69
Supporting Member

Post by carts69 »

Hey Cornish... thought all was well until I wired the rear light, I now have a rear light & brake light, although when I switch the lights off...the front goes out but the rear remains on, constant like yours, any ideas how I can get the switch to kill power to the rear light?
diymirage
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Re: Advice needed to wire lights

Post by diymirage »

the rear light is supposed to stay one
something about allowing the power to flow away from the stator and get used, rather then building up until it burns out
newbbewb wrote:DIYmirage has it right.

-1996 KDX 200 woods weapon (converted to 99 green body)
-1996 KDX 200 plated street toy (barney edition)
-2003 Yamaha TTR125-L (wifeys bike)
-1997 KDX 220 project bike
carts69
Supporting Member

Post by carts69 »

Weird, previous led tail lights I have had switched off with the front lights, never known a rear light to stay on, the blue wire I have not connected because where ever I put it, it still wont shut the light off! but if this is normal then that's fine!
cornishwrecker220

Yes the rear light is supposed to remain on else the stator can get a little warm ( its a discharge thing as power needs to go somewhere)...you should find the x2 wires for the rear stop light switch under the R/H side panel .
carts69
Supporting Member

Post by carts69 »

Can you confirm that this is not an MOT failure?
cornishwrecker220

Having the rear light on shouldn't be an mot fail...I find that my lights all work as they should....the rear stop light when pressed does draw away some power which does dim the front head light if on,...likewise when I press the horn which sounds like a dieing duck !....if your mot inspector is strict he may question these, it you are worried about it failing then you can just tape up the lights & disconnect the rear stop switch.. but you must have a working mechanical horn. If it passes then you will just have an `advisory` on the certificate which will say `no lights fitted at time of test` & not `for daytime use only`.. once home un -tape the lights job done :wink:
carts69
Supporting Member

Post by carts69 »

Nice one! it is booked in for next week! they are not strict so all should be ok, I have a separate horn battery type & very loud (passed fine last time) & the rear led doesn't draw any power really so im not suffering with dimming of the headlight. Bring on next week :grin:
cornishwrecker220

Sound....post up some pics when you`re ready!....what is the riding like around dorset..do you get out & about with the T.R.F ...if you get a few friends together I strongly recommend `clive the guide` who advertises in T.B.M ( trail bike mag ) he does guided rides in south wales & b & b too ! we did 3 days with him last year & it was awesome !! :supz:
carts69
Supporting Member

Post by carts69 »

Sounds good Cornish, may do that at some point,get a few mates together, riding around Dorset is a little hit & miss, few wooded areas to have a blast but nothing special, regarding my bike, I have recently posted it on the bike profile section under the heading "my 220 finally completed"
Take a look & let me know what you think?
dude541
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by dude541 »

Hi Martin,
what ever you do don't start taking power feeds directly from the yellow stator wire, as this wire will be unregulated and will push out a lot of voltage.
the 220 loom is very basic, the yellow wire runs to the lighting switch, on the other side of the lighting switch is the red wire that supplies power to the front & rear light, this red wire has the regulator in it, hence brings the power down to around 12 ac volts.

the way I would go about it if wanting to fit a multi switch would be to remove the regulator out from the red wire, and fit it into the yellow wire that you would then use for your main power to the multi lighting switch, that way all the power coming out of the switch should then be regulated, this will also make wiring up the other items easier.
best regards
John
carts69
Supporting Member

Post by carts69 »

Hi John, thanks for the advice, the top of my loom has 4 thick wires, x2 red, x1 black, x1 yellow, what your saying is the yellow must connect to the handlebar switch on its own...correct? I have it joining one of the reds then going to the switch :hmm: why do I have 2 available reds?
diymirage
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by diymirage »

carts69 wrote: why do I have 2 available reds?

one for each side of the switch
newbbewb wrote:DIYmirage has it right.

-1996 KDX 200 woods weapon (converted to 99 green body)
-1996 KDX 200 plated street toy (barney edition)
-2003 Yamaha TTR125-L (wifeys bike)
-1997 KDX 220 project bike
dude541
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by dude541 »

diymirage wrote:
carts69 wrote: why do I have 2 available reds?

one for each side of the switch
incorrect according to the wiring diagram....
from what I remember and can see from the wiring diagram ( I have completely removed my stock lighting loom) the yellow from the stator runs directly to one side of the stock light switch, the other side of the switch is red, this joins the red wire ( for stock front & rear light) back down the loom, hence why it looks like you have 2 reds, one goes to the headlight and the other to the light switch, but both splice into one and run to the rear light, with the voltage regulator spliced into it.

you wanting to run a multi function light switch, I would personally remove the regulator into the yellow wire from the stator then connect the yellow to the power input of your multi function switch, that way whatever you then connect to the switch you will know the power is regulated.

if I was closer to you I could sort this out in no time bud, DONT SELL IT! TAKE IT OF EBAY! your an hour away from having it perfect! :sad:

best regards
John
carts69
Supporting Member

Post by carts69 »

Just an update, I have wired the lights to how I think is correct but now I have a hi/low beam on the switch which is correct, BUT... the rear light is copying the front light, when the switch is on low beam the rear light is fine but when I click switch to high beam, the rear light gets really bright & no the brake light is not yet wired up so its not that triggering, any ideas????
dude541
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by dude541 »

sort it the weekend with you mate :grin:
best regards
John
carts69
Supporting Member

Post by carts69 »