Cooling Fan?

Got questions? We got answers....
Matt-itude

Cooling Fan?

Post by Matt-itude »

My bother was cruising through his KTM accessory books and found that they offer an electric cooling fan kit to fit there off road bike lines including there motocross model (lighting coil?) It comes with a fan and shroud assembly, wiring harness, and temperature switch for about $100. Don't know if or how well it would fit a KDX but thought there was probably someone here that might be interested in trying.
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Skip? :lol:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

Colorado Mike is the one with boil-over problems. Mine are solved with EVANS and race gas.
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

My bike isn't boiling now. I put an SRC 1.6 cap on from a CRF450F on it. I think that is the whole fix, it hasn't boiled for a few months. But, it hasn't been real hot out since I put that on either. I also haven't had to go slow, since my son is riding so much faster now. My bike would ignite if I had to drop down in speed for more than a few seconds at 9000', and at 13,000' I just couldn't keep coolant in it. I'm pretty sure I'm all fixed now, but next year in the high heat I'll know for sure. Good to know there's a fan option out there though. :wink:
Mike

Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid.
'04 KDX220
fulltiltboogie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by fulltiltboogie »

Its a simple fix. Doesn't require caps or fans.......use Evans NPG+ and it will never boil again.
Matt-itude

Post by Matt-itude »

mine was boiling on a ride i took this summer. just cruising up the dirt roads when I would stop it would be boiling. I found that by raising my needle one clip (richer) it completely cured it. I guess it was just slightly lean, seemed to run good? It started after I had changed my pilot and main with the stock needle in the same position. I run a different needle altogether now (and am still in the process of setteling on a perminent needle) but it was just enough at light throttle to make it run hot.
jafo
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by jafo »

One of my riding buddies had to buy one for his KTM 525 desert bike. It kept cool as long as you could keep moving but as soon as you hit the tigfht woods and frequent stopping it would boil over. He put the fan on and it's been fine ver since. Whether it fits a KDX or not, could'nt tell you. I did'nt get a good look at it after he installed it. I do know they work as far as cooling.

Jon.