USD forks

Got questions? We got answers....
pumpguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

USD forks

Post by pumpguy »

Since finding this site, I've seen a good many posts about replacement forks, mostly USD types I believe.

Just curious as to what members recommend as the best choice for this type of conversion? If there is more than one choice available, and the poster has a preference, then an order of preference would be appreciated.

Also, a brief description of what changes were needed would be appreciated. I.E., can the stock KDX wheel be used, or does that have to be the wheel that matches the forks?

I do have some machining capability, so minor changes would probably not be a problem.

Bike is '97 KDX 200. Intended usage is Midwestern woods, and dualsport; not too aggressive riding.

Thanks,
Brom32

Re: USD forks

Post by Brom32 »

Good post. I have been looking around and thinking about doing the kx 500 forks. The only problem is that you have to use the kx hub and wheel.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk
04 Kdx200 w/ PC Platinum 2
sarrant

Post by sarrant »

There is an entire forum here dedicated to this topic. Most common configurations have been discussed:
http://www.kdxrider.net/forums/viewforum.php?f=104
Brom32

Post by Brom32 »

sarrant wrote:There is an entire forum here dedicated to this topic. Most common configurations have been discussed:
http://www.kdxrider.net/forums/viewforum.php?f=104
Though it is more spread throughout a forum. It would be nice to have all the how to and need to know in one post
04 Kdx200 w/ PC Platinum 2
sarrant

Post by sarrant »

Its a big topic with many different ways to approach, but the three top stickied threads are basically the rundown you are looking for.
pumpguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

USD forks

Post by pumpguy »

Mind boggling!

I go to several swap meets each year, and was hoping to find a concise list of what might be a good choice and what would be involved to use them.
JasonK94Z

Post by JasonK94Z »

This site could use some stickies with tutorials and more organized lists of common setups. It is difficult for a noobie to come on here and start reading about what to do without ending up with a massive information overload or many posts with no follow up to the results of mods. I understand that there are numerous forks that can be used with the KDX, but how about THE most common setups, or maybe even a parts list from budget setup where you can re-use the kdx wheel all the way to a full bore $$ setup?

Awesome site and resource to have of course, but organization and tutorials are somewhat lacking. It can be mind boggling :doh:
2002 KDX 220R
2003 KLR 650
sarrant

USD forks

Post by sarrant »

The Cliff Notes version is this:

Most years KX forks can be made to work, and is easiest to swap the entire front end with wheel.

The common process is pressing the stem out of the KDX lower triple and into the KX lower triple. Some years require knurling in order to remove slop in the stem and others do not (see this thread to compare notes for various model years). A small spacer is also generally needed below the upper stem nut.

The KDX brake caliper may be used with a little bit of mounting plate fab.

Straight bolt-up USD options are 90-91 KX forks, as well as most years KLX and KX500, but IMO these are all a serious step down in capability from other KX forks.

Lastly, RB Designs (http://www.rb-designs.com/rb_designs_llc_027.htm) has offered this as a service.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

It is not a quick and easy swap. It involves a lot of parts and a fair amount of work. Read twice, swap once.

GREAT summary, sarrant. :supz:
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
pumpguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

USD forks

Post by pumpguy »

Thanks Sarrant. That's the information I was hoping would be posted. I have a lathe and press so the machine work would be no problem, once I find a suitable set of forks.