1982 kdx 175....thoughts?

Got questions? We got answers....
GS

1982 kdx 175....thoughts?

Post by GS »

Anyone have thoughts re a restored KDX175 found locally? I have no idea about whether they have power valves, parts availability, etc. Looking for the wife who is tired of the weight of her XT250.
Help me decide??
Thanks for any help offered
Keystone
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: 1982 kdx 175....thoughts?

Post by Keystone »

Wife doesnt need e-start? Doesnt mind a 2-stroke? Parts availability would be the biggest problem I think. Thers always e-bay! Older bikes need more wrenching on them also. I enjoy working on bikes, some people would rather ride.
GS

Post by GS »

E-start- No she seems fine with a kicker, and a 2 smoke, but it better start quick!!
She rode a much-lowered gasgas ec with an instructor last year and loved the lightness, as compared to her 295# XT250.

We've also considered converting, fuel capacity and seat, a trials bike. There just aren't many bikes that are low enough for 63 inch women who started off roading later in life.
goodoboy
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by goodoboy »

I think if parts are ready available for restoring, go for it. I would check availability before buying the bike.
Brom32

Post by Brom32 »

Other than a green machine get a ktm. I have always had good experience with them.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk
04 Kdx200 w/ PC Platinum 2
GS

Post by GS »

Brom32 wrote:Other than a green machine get a ktm. I have always had good experience with them.

I would agree, but for the seat height....which cannot be too much above 32-34 inches
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

I say skip it.

Let her sit on a KLX140L.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
KarlP
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by KarlP »

You can look into it but I think the 82 KDX 175 had the rotary valve and carb down in the right side cover, forward of the clutch. It was a pretty good bike, heavy and low, handled pretty good for a dual sport type bike. I had one years ago and rode the wheels off it. It is no MX'er, that's for sure.
The other possibility is a KX100.
'08 KTM200xc
'99 CR/KDX Hybrid with that RB stuff done to it
KX100 for the boy
KarlP
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by KarlP »

I went and looked, the dates weren't adding up in my head. I must have had a mid '70's bike. The '82 looks good. I'd like that motor for a hybrid.
'08 KTM200xc
'99 CR/KDX Hybrid with that RB stuff done to it
KX100 for the boy
sarrant

Post by sarrant »

It was a great bike, but the seat height is not in the range of the XT. Quite a bit taller. I mean that can be modified, but the same is true of most bikes out there.

My wife is the same height as yours and can't get to the ground on my very similar '82 IT175.

Honestly, my Dad has an XT250, and while it is pretty heavy, I bet if you dumped most of the road-going equipment off it, it would only be about 15 lbs heavier than my KDX (which can be accounted for by the battery/starter). Generally the XT250 chassis seems pretty light (and flexy!); kinda built like the little 125 4 stroke playbikes. It just has a ton of stuff bolted up that a dirtbike doesn't, with full electronics and readouts, passenger accommodations, lots of bodywork and covers, emissions controls, etc. It all adds up.

IMO, the biggest problem with that bike's handling are the stock tires. I've run on worn out old tires with cracks in the side walls and knobs ripped off. I've run on completely bald in the center rear tires. I've run on flat tires filled with 2 lbs of ooze to keep me off the rim. I've run on tires stuffed with trailside grass and twigs to get me home. And not a single one of them was as horrible on both pavement and dirt as the stock tires on an XT250. I don't know what Yamaha was thinking.
Last edited by sarrant on 02:31 pm May 05 2014, edited 13 times in total.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Were you thinking KE or KD??
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

My wife is 62/62" tall, started riding about 5 years ago. Started on an XR100 (POS), moved to the CRF150F and we just bought her a CRF150RB....for weight and suspension, not so much the motor since she couldn't "out ride" the 150F. I wanted her to get the KX 100, but she wasn't game for a 2t, since most of our riding is in the trails, a 4t will be just fine for her. The RB and KX both have 19" front and 16" rear wheels and plenty of power for small statured people. Both bike weight in around 165# dry and have 33" seat height. The KX will be cheaper to purchase and keep running, long term.

Take a look at the KX 100 if she is good with a 2t, but consider that you MIGHT have to add a fly wheel weight for "milder" trail riding.
newbbewb wrote:^what he said.
masterblaster wrote:Man 6 riders you rock.
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type
sthutch
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by sthutch »

Have you considered the KTM 105? I picked up an '08 KTM 105XC for my son this spring. I know, I know, but his favorite color has always been orange. He is 5'3" and his toes just barely touch. I was looking for a KX100 when the 105 came up at the right price. It weighs just about the same as a KX.

I was concerned with him needed a flywheel weight, but he said it was nothing like his RM65. No big hit, power is very linear, handles well in the tight woods, but has short legs. I remedied this with an oversized fuel tank. Since we ride a lot of trails, and Michigan requires a headlight and tail light for ORV's on back roads, I added a lighting coil for lights. I knew that I was going to add lights to the KX anyway. Gotta have heated grips for winter!

If you are looking, the only differences that I have found between the XC and the SX are a kickstand, brush guards (not hand guards), and stickers.

Good luck and happy hunting!
Sthutch

1st Bike: '72 Arctic Cat Whisker (rode it to the wheels fell off)
2nd Bike: '76 KT250 Trials (gone, but not forgotten)
3rd Bike: '01 KDX200
4th Bike: '96 DS80 (okay, my 9yr old's and it's gone)
5th Bike: '04 RM65 (okay, he's now 10 and it's gone)
6th Bike: '08 KTM 105xc (okay, he's now 13)
7th Bike: '06 KTM 200xc-w (okay, he's now 16)
Brom32

Post by Brom32 »

Ktm 105 sx is a great bike. For woods you will need a bigger tank. You could go without a new flywheel but if you really need it it isn't too hard I believe

04 Kdx200 w/ PC Platinum 2
GS

Post by GS »

sarrant: Couldn't agree more, those are dangerous tires, we have a 606 and Kenda 760 on the rear now. As for weight, the XT feels very heavy(295#) compared to the Gasgas she rode for a day. I don't like the XT much, burns oil, crappy filter, no power at all....and it only has 4k miles on it.

6riders: We have looked at the crf150RB closely...my only concerns are range(none!!) power delivery and engine longevity. Could you elaborate on your experiences with it?
Before my wife started riding, I used to own a KX100 with the f/w weight...very low power unless you revved the crap out of it and no grunt to speak of(recall may be faulty)

sthutch: Thanks for that suggestion, I'll see if the dealer has one....but height is a HUGE factor and it sounds a little high
Thanks Gents!
sthutch
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by sthutch »

They quit making the 105 around '11 or "12.
Sthutch

1st Bike: '72 Arctic Cat Whisker (rode it to the wheels fell off)
2nd Bike: '76 KT250 Trials (gone, but not forgotten)
3rd Bike: '01 KDX200
4th Bike: '96 DS80 (okay, my 9yr old's and it's gone)
5th Bike: '04 RM65 (okay, he's now 10 and it's gone)
6th Bike: '08 KTM 105xc (okay, he's now 13)
7th Bike: '06 KTM 200xc-w (okay, he's now 16)
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

GS wrote:s
6riders: We have looked at the crf150RB closely...my only concerns are range(none!!) power delivery and engine longevity. Could you elaborate on your experiences with it?
Wife hasn't rode it yet, just got it last Saturday and need to get it ready for her first ride.
My wife is coming off of the 150F, we went to the RB for suspension, since the F has none and the only fix is a complete swap, which cost about the same as buying the RB (used). It has a 1.3 gallon tank, should be pretty descent range for a little 4t (at least 40 miles). Yeah no BIG rides, but (I think) they are too much for little wheeled bikes anyways. You can get 1.7 gal tanks if you like.
Figure doing valve checks every few months, depending on mileage and how the bike is ridden.

In my MC club, there is another gal that is also short (no more than 5' tall), she had a CR85, then the 150RB and now a KTM 105....she said that the RB was her favorite bike by far....her husband just insisted that they "keep up with the Joneses" and get a KTM.
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type
GS

Post by GS »

Well, just checking back to see if you have formed any impressions on the crf150RB.

So far we've test-ridden a Beta EVO200, but have concerns re high speed stability, cost and availability(none!)

The KTMs are just too tall for her and lowering isn't going to accomplish enough.
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

Took the wife for a "learning ride" on the bike. Mainly rode a 1/2 mile of whooped out trails (over and over) and a quick trail ride at the end. She loves the bike, the power is great and smooth. She was quite a bit faster on the RB than her F. So far so good. 3 days later, at work, another employee dropped a box on her arm and she's having HUGE problems with that, so no riding for the last 3 weeks (for her).
I rode the bike down the trail and back, it is smooth, the suspension, although to light for me, was smooth and VERY predictable. As far as I can tell, this will be great bike for her.....tough to maintain for me. Still, if she can ride it faster than 10 MPH, I'm happy as hell.

Oh yes, the bike starts easily enough, didn't need the hot start except for one time after she killed it after a hill climb.
I must say, if this bike doesn't pan out, she's gonna have to get a KX 100 or a KDX with a link.
GS

Post by GS »

Thanks for the feed-back, much appreciated. Power delivery sounds easy and usable. As with you, I can handle the (yuck!) extra maintenance if it makes her happy and she enjoys riding it more than her HEAVY XT250.
Sorry to hear of your wife's arm injury, hope that gets better real soon. I think my wife's greatest fear is an injury during riding season! She has a very stressful job and riding is her No. 1 de-stressor. Works for me!
Thanks again!