Recommendation on Gear

Got questions? We got answers....
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Recommendation on Gear

Post by 6 Riders »

I've had plenty of boots, done way to many "toe kickers" while riding off road. Cheap boots are just that and (IMO) do not protect your feet or ankles for sh!t. I bought a pair of Gaerne SG10s and I love them......Kicked a big (hiding in the brush) rock one afternoon, going around 35-45 MPH and all that happened was my foot came off the peg, no pain, no damage. The Comp 5 boots that I had, one toe kicker on a stump going about 12mph and I retired them! That hurt like hell!
Also, since you are new rider and WILL be crashing a lot, look at a good chest protector, preferably something that covers your back ribs (since they will eventually find the ground).
newbbewb wrote:^what he said.
masterblaster wrote:Man 6 riders you rock.
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type
goodoboy
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by goodoboy »

6 Riders wrote:I've had plenty of boots, done way to many "toe kickers" while riding off road. Cheap boots are just that and (IMO) do not protect your feet or ankles for sh!t. I bought a pair of Gaerne SG10s and I love them......Kicked a big (hiding in the brush) rock one afternoon, going around 35-45 MPH and all that happened was my foot came off the peg, no pain, no damage. The Comp 5 boots that I had, one toe kicker on a stump going about 12mph and I retired them! That hurt like hell!
Also, since you are new rider and WILL be crashing a lot, look at a good chest protector, preferably something that covers your back ribs (since they will eventually find the ground).

Thank you 6 Riders. Good comments. I tried on chest protector today. I need to find chest protector with matching neck brace. I am thinking about Tech 3 or SG-12 now.
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

I bought the TLD 5955(?) chest protector, this is more like body armor, has plastic panels, but the real protection comes from the bio foam. It has removable panels to mount a Leatt to it. Nice set up, but they are spendy...Leatt also makes a good chest protector, I don't know it getting the shoulder and arm protection is necessary, Mine has it, my son's does not. The Leatt that I bought my son was $150, mine retails for $200, but an MC dealer sold it to me for 1/2 price :supz: so I brought it home!
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type
diymirage
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by diymirage »

newbbewb wrote:DIYmirage has it right.

-1996 KDX 200 woods weapon (converted to 99 green body)
-1996 KDX 200 plated street toy (barney edition)
-2003 Yamaha TTR125-L (wifeys bike)
-1997 KDX 220 project bike
newbbewb
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by newbbewb »

you guys are all spot on IMO, and I'll add my $.02....

Might I suggest an EVS ballistic jersey. Besides medieval armor, its about the best upper body protection you can get. It includes a kidney belt, front and back rib protection,chest protection, shoulder guards, elbow guards and forearm protection, all sewn into a jersey that makes wearing said items as comfortable as it can get.

I took a 2.5" downed tree branch pointed to my chest coming around the inside of a blind uphill corner in 3rd gear, didn't EVEN see it. It STOPPED my body and doubled me over the branch. All I remember is my bike just kept going, and I was still twisting my right hand. It took me a couple seconds to realize what had happened. That branch would have broken ribs or ripped my chest muscle off. The worst I suffered was confusion from not being on the bike anymore.

Boots. The more you spend, the better you get. Don't get cheap here. If you're broke, either buy used or find another hobby. Seen plenty of injuries, even in nice boots. It seems to me that most really bad injuries just happen to be in cheap boots. maybe a coincidence, I don't think so.

Knee guards. Don't be the numbnut(s) that has boots and doesn't have even a cheap set of fox titan knee guards.

Gloves. I use thin gloves with leather palm. I've tried thicker gloves with carbon knuckles and all that stuff, but I like to feel the controls, and the thicker ones don't ventilate well. Neither thick nor thin lasted more than a year for me.

Jersey/pants. Cotton will work, but does not insulate when wet. Jeans, when wet or sweaty will get heavy, constrictive for the ol boys down there and simply blow up when they hit the ground. I really like the shift recon pants that unzip at the knee (turn em into shorts). on that note, Underarmor compression shorts are nice so assorted wildlife and dirt stays out of the area where the sun doesn't shine. trust me, bees and rocks will find their way up there if you unzip those legs.

Helmet. See Boots above. Nicer helmets will have lining that comes out so you can wash/replace. a good helmet will last for years.

Goggles. I don't really have much XP here. I have oakley models. I can get tinted or clear lenses anywhere. they seem to be holding up well after 4 years and multiple crashes. store them in your helmet or a goggle bag to keep the lenses around longer. keeping them dust free will help stave off fog. Don't use any cleaner on them cause that crap burns when it gets in your eyes.

hydration pack. I hate carrying a backpack, but when you get tired, water is a refreshing hit of energy.
93 kdx200-Highly modified
89 kx125/kdx200E engine
Buelldustin@gmail.com
Brom32

Post by Brom32 »

Hydration wise I prefer camelbacks "mule" pack. Very light and smaller. It hugs down close to your back so it doesn't get thrown around everywhere and get annoying.

The body armor is one of the best buys I have ever got.

It is recommended to get mtb or road biking shorts for underneath. If you go on a long ride you may not be able to sit down the next day.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk
04 Kdx200 w/ PC Platinum 2
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Recommendation on Gear

Post by SS109 »

OK, I guess I'll jump in here. As everyone knows I don't take it easy out on the trails unless the temps get above 90 degrees. I have hit the ground hard more times than I care to remember, clipped ruts/rocks with my boots, and have always come away uninjured since wearing proper gear. Anyways, not trying to be an ass here but, I think way too many people get worked up over buying the gear based on what it cost over what it actually does. Yes, more costly gear tends to be better but at the same time that doesn't mean more affordable gear can't provide equal, or near equal, protection.

When I got back in to riding I did a lot of research in to gear before I purchased anything. I ended up buying some premium gear along with some very affordable gear. Everything has protected me more than adequately considering my lack of injuries vs hard get offs. My point being you don't necessarily have to spend big bucks to get good protection. Just do your research, talk with people who use the gear your interested in, search classifieds and clearance items, and make your choice!

My gear mix when I started back in '09:

Rockhard helmet - $149 (bought on clearance - rebranded Oneal 7 series) good helmet, still have it, just doesn't flow enough air for me.
AXO Boxer Enduro boots - $125 - came highly recommended by the guys over at Adventureriders.com, no broken buckles/straps, saved me countless times when catching rocks at high speeds, finally retired them 3 weeks ago. Still have life left in them but I got a really great deal on some new boots! :mrgreen:
Shift Enforcer knee/shin guards - $15 - They have the scars to show they have saved me numerous times.
AXO Air Cage Pro pressure suit - $229 - My one piece of premium gear I went with. I have since replaced it due to wearing out the material that covers the padding from clipping trees/bushes/cactii, and crashing.
Scott 83 series goggles - $20 - cheap and effective. Replaced them about two months ago due to the strap loosing it's stretchiness and the foam was starting to deteriorate.
Oneal Sniper gloves - $25 - great feel but didn't protect the back of my hand like I prefer. Of course, most gloves fail here as well!

Current gear:

Klim F4 helmet - $149 on clearance (normally $400) nothing cools you as good as this helmet!
AXO Dart Pro boots - $120 on clearance (normally $339) Loving them so far! I report back in about 4 years!
Shift Enforcer knee/shin guards - $15 - yep, still using the exact same ones I bought in '09!
AXO Air Cage Pro pressure suit - $100 (brand new off of the TT classifieds!) yep, replaced my old one with the same piece!
Scott Recoil goggles - $19 - Scott's replacement for the old 83 series. Feel and work as good as the 83's.
AXO Air Force gloves - $35 - I picked these gloves as they provide protection for the back of my hands. Have held up well, great grip, and ventilate well.
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
goodoboy
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by goodoboy »

Thank you all for the help.

Today I purchased:

Helmet: http://www.cyclegear.com/CycleGear/Off- ... 0_59535_21 I wanted an XL, but after head measurement , guy recomemmend large

Knee/shin: http://www.motorcycle-super fstore.com/37272/i/fly-racing-5-pivot-knee-guard

goggles: http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/33 ... es-goggles for over the goggles
pants/shirt: http://www.cyclegear.com/CycleGear/Off- ... 6_59434_73 and matching shirt
boots: Tech 3 Off-Road Motorcycle Boots

Chest: Still deciding between http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/41 ... -adventure (this will match up nice with the neck brace later), or http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/32 ... o-air-cage or http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/35 ... tic-jersey. Need to check if last two have matching neck brace.

Have to wait for more money for the chest and neck brace, but I will be purchasing. Looking into trailer now.

Thanks for all detailed help.
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

Take those boots back! You can get a nice set of Gaerne boots (entry level) for $200, Much better boot than the A* boots. Here's a link or two
[urlhttp://www.atomic-moto.com/motocross_boots.html][/url] They also have those Forma Terraine EVO boots for cheap.....better than the Tech 3's.
I like the Air cage it looks pretty nice, that Leatt is to much $$ for what you get, my TLD 5955 is way better quality than my son's Leatt and it has removable panels for a neck brake. That's this one; http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/35 ... -protector

Good job on the gear BTW, your doing good!
diymirage
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by diymirage »

you did order it all in green right ? :lol:
newbbewb wrote:DIYmirage has it right.

-1996 KDX 200 woods weapon (converted to 99 green body)
-1996 KDX 200 plated street toy (barney edition)
-2003 Yamaha TTR125-L (wifeys bike)
-1997 KDX 220 project bike
goodoboy
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by goodoboy »

diymirage wrote:you did order it all in green right ? :lol:
lol, no I didn't order it all in green. I order the kind of orange, yellow, and black to match the helmet. Yes, I will look skittles. But I couldn't find a green helmet in the store and didn't want to order one. Hmmmm, now I am thinking I should have just ordered all green to match the bike and just order a green helmet. :mad:
goodoboy
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by goodoboy »

6 Riders wrote:Take those boots back! You can get a nice set of Gaerne boots (entry level) for $200, Much better boot than the A* boots. Here's a link or two
[urlhttp://www.atomic-moto.com/motocross_boots.html][/url] They also have those Forma Terraine EVO boots for cheap.....better than the Tech 3's.
I like the Air cage it looks pretty nice, that Leatt is to much $$ for what you get, my TLD 5955 is way better quality than my son's Leatt and it has removable panels for a neck brake. That's this one; http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/35 ... -protector

Good job on the gear BTW, your doing good!
Thank you 6 Riders. I am basically looking for something to protect ribs as well, well basically everything. That's why I chose the all in one armor.
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

The 5955 protects the ribs better than most that I have seen....the all-in-1's would be the exception, and that thing is on sale! I'd go for it! The Leatte is to much money for the (lack of) protection that it comes with...that's what I was trying to say.
newbbewb
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by newbbewb »

the tech 3's are rubbish, with one exception, the all terrain model. they have lugs on the bottom. makes for way better traction. still a rubbish boot though, you can do better for the $$$
93 kdx200-Highly modified
89 kx125/kdx200E engine
Buelldustin@gmail.com
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

Bikebandit.com has just put Gaerne boots on sale....great prices for great boots!