Hire Mechanic for Top End

Got questions? We got answers....
goodoboy
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by goodoboy »

Hello,

I just bought used 2000 KDX 220. I am still waiting on riding gear to come before riding slowly to get the fundamentals correct. I only rode dirt bike one time in life this past week, so I am new.

I just read the "got new kdx bike thread" http://www.kdxrider.net/forums/viewtopi ... 77&t=12457 and stopped at part A and B.

I need to perform a top end with wesico kit and accessories. I never worked on bike before and I would like to hire a local dirt bike mechanic to complete the work for me. I talked to mechanic and his fee is within reason $125. I want to complete this work before riding because I don't want to take a chance in ruining the bike. I don't want to try and complete work myself because I don't really know what I am doing and just eagerer to ride right now and want to focus on fundamentals of riding and complete maintenance myself while slowly learning the bike mechanical parts. Plus right now, I am limited on time due to job. I do have the manual and will read for spare time reading to learn the mechanical functions of the bike. This will help me learn the bike and complete some small maintenance jobs myself.

My concern is rather or not the mechanic will do a good job. He just opened shop and so far friendly guy. He even inspect the bike out for me for $40 before buying.

Can you please give me some questions or advice to ask the mechanic so I can make sure I know that he knows what he is doing? I don't mind hiring the guy for the job, I just want to educate myself on a list of things of him to check and make sure he does right. Kind of like an interview I guess. :razz:

Thanks you
Joshmcmillan
Supporting Member

Re: Hire Mechanic for Top End

Post by Joshmcmillan »

Top-End is very basic. Make sure piston is in right way (they have an arrow), piston ring lined up with stopper, circlip right in and with the gap at top or bottom, check cylinder for wear, check for crankshaft wear while you're at it, correctly torque head with new head gasket. That's it that I can think of.
07' CR450X (Main Bike)
07' KX125 (Completed basket case rebuild, for sale)
88' KDX200 (Not sure yet, runs but with rattly top end)
91' CBR250RR
Old Bikes: 97' KDX200, 00' RM125, 85' XR350, 94' KDX200, 02' CR80, 82' XT250, 98' CT200
darb808

Post by darb808 »

i think its best to order piston kit after teardown incase you need a different size. i dont think it takes more than a couple hours to do. better off saving that $140 incase your cylinder needs replating around $200 i think. im at the same place as you, need to inspect my top end. better off finding a fellow rider to do it with you. one with experience. good luck
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

kips shaft nut is LEFT threaded and you MUST support the shaft when taking it apart and putting it together, or you'll damage the kips actuator (a 5 dollars piece) that could potentially cost a LOT more in repairs when it breaks.
Those are 2 of the major one to KNOW and DO.
There will be no way to know if he supported the shaft properly (until it's too late and it breaks), only his good faith and reputation...
I'd ask the guy to take pics of the cylinder before putting it back together, or at least show you so you have a chance to look at it.

You know it's really not that big a deal to do it yourself (especially with a the manual, a torque wrench and the help of this website; you'll know it was done right. I'd encourage you to tackle the task yourself, I understand the time issue though.

Many have hired a "mechanic" before and many have been burned...
diymirage
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by diymirage »

hard to tell where you are located but I would be willing to bet there are plenty of KDXrider.net member within a stonethrows distance from you that would have no problem helping you do the top end yourself

scheckeat is right, the KIPS actuator is the ONLY difficult part and it is something that the mechanic needs to be aware of

everything else is common mechanical sense
we have manuals for sale on the main page that have step by step instructions and on this site you can find plenty of threads with colour pictures

if you do decide to do it yourself i'll even let you in on a secret that will allow you to get the KIPS valves lined up right the first time every time :bravo:
newbbewb wrote:DIYmirage has it right.

-1996 KDX 200 woods weapon (converted to 99 green body)
-1996 KDX 200 plated street toy (barney edition)
-2003 Yamaha TTR125-L (wifeys bike)
-1997 KDX 220 project bike
C George
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by C George »

If your not comfortable doing it yourself ... not a big deal ... nothing to be embarrassed about.

Taking things apart , checking everything out and cleaning it all up if you've never done it before is going
to take a good solid afternoon , if not the majority of a day.

Someone experienced can do it in 2-3 hours , so the $125 is a very fair quote.

I'd just strive to your mechanic that you want the cylinder coating " electrofusion " checked out
along with the connecting rod bearings.

It would also be a great time to inspect the intake reeds. " normal wear part "

Pick yourself up a shop manual if you do it yourself or not . Good info to know.

Great Bike ! Taken care of will last you for a long time. :grin:
05 KDX-220R / 06 KDX-225R / Maxima 927 / Millenium Tech / Ron Black / PC , FMF / Many 220 engine mods / 40 + yrs. of riding dirt bikes 🤟🤟
goodoboy
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by goodoboy »

Thank you all.

Just went looking around from some gear. I have the manual for the bike with me.

I am still undecided about performing the top end. I haven't turned a wrench in some years except for minor work at the job. Sounds fun but, I will need so me step-by-step directions or help.

Can someone please tell me the list of tools that I will need?

Anyone live near Houston Texas?

Thanks everyone. Sooooo tempting to ride that bike in the garage. I just don't want to take a chance and ruin pistons/engine.
goodoboy
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by goodoboy »

diymirage wrote: we have manuals for sale on the main page that have step by step instructions and on this site you can find plenty of threads with colour pictures

if you do decide to do it yourself i'll even let you in on a secret that will allow you to get the KIPS valves lined up right the first time every time :bravo:
Were can I locate these manuals? I donated to the site last night. You guys/gals have been great help.
diymirage
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by diymirage »

goodoboy wrote:
diymirage wrote: we have manuals for sale on the main page that have step by step instructions and on this site you can find plenty of threads with colour pictures

Were can I locate these manuals? I donated to the site last night. You guys/gals have been great help.

vhttp://www.cyclepedia.com/online-manuals/kawas ... ice-guide/
newbbewb wrote:DIYmirage has it right.

-1996 KDX 200 woods weapon (converted to 99 green body)
-1996 KDX 200 plated street toy (barney edition)
-2003 Yamaha TTR125-L (wifeys bike)
-1997 KDX 220 project bike
sarrant

Post by sarrant »

If you stick with the sport long-term, at some point, you'll be putting a top end on a dirtbike yourself. It may be now, or you may choose to familiarize yourself with it later, but it is going to happen.
goodoboy
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by goodoboy »

sarrant wrote:If you stick with the sport long-term, at some point, you'll be putting a top end on a dirtbike yourself. It may be now, or you may choose to familiarize yourself with it later, but it is going to happen.
Thank you. I hired a mechanic this time because I really don't want to risk ruining the bike and i am ready to ride. I never work on bike before so i will need to take my time and thourghly read and get prepared tools wise for the next top/bottom end rebuild. I called 5 references for the mechanic to check him out first.

For now, I am getting ready for the next maintenance. And will be just reading the forum for all the tools I need. thank you all
KarlP
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by KarlP »

This is just my opinion.......
I would not be in too much of a hurry to put a top end into that bike. You are a brand new rider and have not broken in your first set of boots.

Go for a ride. Ride it for several months. Make several small repairs and adjustments. Get to know your mechanic and read that manual thoroughly.

Please don't take this the wrong way-The chances of you guys screwing something up replacing the piston are far greater than the piston coming apart before you've worn the new off your helmet.

Go for a ride
'08 KTM200xc
'99 CR/KDX Hybrid with that RB stuff done to it
KX100 for the boy
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

i would agree with karl, however this is a 220 we are talking about...No idea what the piston looks like.
Don't know about you but I really don't enjoy pushing a broken bike down the trail...
goodoboy
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by goodoboy »

KarlP wrote:This is just my opinion.......
I would not be in too much of a hurry to put a top end into that bike. You are a brand new rider and have not broken in your first set of boots.

Go for a ride. Ride it for several months. Make several small repairs and adjustments. Get to know your mechanic and read that manual thoroughly.

Please don't take this the wrong way-The chances of you guys screwing something up replacing the piston are far greater than the piston coming apart before you've worn the new off your helmet.

Go for a ride
I hear what you saying KarlP and its tempting to just go out there and ride, but I will stick to the safe side and rebuild the top end. I brought to mechanic to let him do the work. I will be better prepared for the next time as I slowly read up on the service manual and get my tools ready. I am still practicing the fundamentals of riding safely.