Is a KDX 220 for me

Got questions? We got answers....
goodoboy
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Is a KDX 220 for me

Post by goodoboy »

Hello,

I need some serious input here on my decision to purchase a 2000 kdx 220 2t.

I am new rider. 5-11, 165lbs, 34 yrs old. I never road dirt bike before until yesterday during one on one training with trainer. I road the ttr230. It road good and I just stayed in gear 2 all day learning the fundamentals. I just want to play around riding and hit some trails when I get more comfortable riding, no racing or jumping.

After some looking around and asking on forums, I decided to let a mechanic I know go and test the compression and test it out. The mechanic calls me during the training and says the bike is great and ride smooth, maybe needs new tires. I tell my trainer and says "nope 2 stroke not good for beginner". Says its too jumpy and too much power unlike the 4stroke which glides in the powerband. He says 2t will require more fundamental to ride blah blah blah blah blah blah. Basically, he wants me to stick to ttr 125LE or 150F to begin with for about year or longer until I got the fundamentals down pack.

This ruin my day cause then I go online and see that 2t is not for beginners who want a decent trail bike. But isn't kdx 220 a trail bike??

So now I am looking around for a ttr-125LE and 150F, but I hear they are small and for kids.

So what shall I do (keep in mind, I can't test drive the bike anyway cause haven't really learned how to switch gears yet and so forth. I am sure I can learn):

1. get the kdx 220 http://houston.craigslist.org/mcy/4441036413.html and call it a day

2. follow trainer advice and stick with small and 4t for easier riding. I do love the push button start.

I ask you KDX riders, how you feel about a newbie riding a 2000 kdx 220.

How does kdx 220 compare to 230F?

Thank you kindly.
Joshmcmillan
Supporting Member

Re: Is a KDX 220 for me

Post by Joshmcmillan »

KDX200 and 220 are NOT like normal 2-strokes and I think they are DEFINITELY suited for beginners.

They don't have a hard hit like say a 125 2-stroke which I would completely agree is a bad bike for beginners. They can also be lowered easily (even for free if you know how to use a drill an an angle grinder).

An old KDX200 (the 220 is apparently better if anything for new riders) was my first proper trail bike (before that I had old ag bikes in open paddocks etc.). They have a heap of low-down power (more than a lot of modern MX 4-strokes) if working correctly, and respond well too adjusting the gearing to suit your needs (for example if you don't like it wheeling, you can spend $15 on a new sprocket to change the gearing, then change it back when you're ready).

I love the memories I have from some of the first times ever riding in the bush making it up hill climbs more experienced riders couldn't. They are light, SUPER easy to start, comfortable and have good power delivery.

Another massive plus is, once you're ready, you can put on an after-market exhaust, change jetting, tune suspension and a few other little things and it's a weapon in the bush. I've owned and ridden bigger and smaller bikes and currently I would not have ANY bike over a KDX200, not even a KTM200. And before I came across my first KDX200 at a bargain price, I wouldn't have touched any kawasaki with 6-foot pole, so it's not like I'm bias towards them.
07' CR450X (Main Bike)
07' KX125 (Completed basket case rebuild, for sale)
88' KDX200 (Not sure yet, runs but with rattly top end)
91' CBR250RR
Old Bikes: 97' KDX200, 00' RM125, 85' XR350, 94' KDX200, 02' CR80, 82' XT250, 98' CT200
Gotanubike
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Is a KDX 220 for me

Post by Gotanubike »

You'll learn in no time. Best to pick up something that is the right size for you and stick with it! because you'll learn in no time and you'll wish you weren't stuck with a 15 year olds bike..

KDX 220 has a good amount of low end torque but the power can be easily managed. These bikes don't top out until 16-18000rpm so lots of room to learn in the lower portion of the powerband.

That bike will definitely need a piston if it hasn't already been replaced with a forged wiseco or other. And new fork seals for sure. Also looks like it has been leaking oil on the floor. $1750 is not exactly a bargain.. if you could talk him down to $1400 maybe $1500 I would say pretty good deal.
1990 KDX200
Bike Profile -> http://www.kdxrider.net/forums/viewtopi ... 61#p136315
Suspension Overhaul(Shock+89-92 conventional forks) -> http://www.kdxrider.net/forums/viewtopi ... 15&t=15255
96'-98' RM125 Showa 49mm fork swap -> http://www.kdxrider.net/forums/viewtopi ... 04&t=16994
KDXrider world map! -> https://www.zeemaps.com/map?group=186158
goodoboy
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by goodoboy »

Joshmcmillan wrote:KDX200 and 220 are NOT like normal 2-strokes and I think they are DEFINITELY suited for beginners.

They don't have a hard hit like say a 125 2-stroke which I would completely agree is a bad bike for beginners. They can also be lowered easily (even for free if you know how to use a drill an an angle grinder).

An old KDX200 (the 220 is apparently better if anything for new riders) was my first proper trail bike (before that I had old ag bikes in open paddocks etc.). They have a heap of low-down power (more than a lot of modern MX 4-strokes) if working correctly, and respond well too adjusting the gearing to suit your needs (for example if you don't like it wheeling, you can spend $15 on a new sprocket to change the gearing, then change it back when you're ready).

I love the memories I have from some of the first times ever riding in the bush making it up hill climbs more experienced riders couldn't. They are light, SUPER easy to start, comfortable and have good power delivery.

Another massive plus is, once you're ready, you can put on an after-market exhaust, change jetting, tune suspension and a few other little things and it's a weapon in the bush. I've owned and ridden bigger and smaller bikes and currently I would not have ANY bike over a KDX200, not even a KTM200. And before I came across my first KDX200 at a bargain price, I wouldn't have touched any kawasaki with 6-foot pole, so it's not like I'm bias towards them.

Thank you Joshmcmillan,

This gives me good confidence. Can't wait to see and feel the bike tomorrow. I will keep everyone posted on what I see. I'm sure I will like what I see.

I rather get something big for me now, then go through the trouble of selling smaller bike to get bigger bike.

Thank you
goodoboy
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Is a KDX 220 for me

Post by goodoboy »

Gotanubike wrote:You'll learn in no time. Best to pick up something that is the right size for you and stick with it! because you'll learn in no time and you'll wish you weren't stuck with a 15 year olds bike..

KDX 220 has a good amount of low end torque but the power can be easily managed. These bikes don't top out until 16-18000rpm so lots of room to learn in the lower portion of the powerband.

That bike will definitely need a piston if it hasn't already been replaced with a forged wiseco or other. And new fork seals for sure. Also looks like it has been leaking oil on the floor. $1750 is not exactly a bargain.. if you could talk him down to $1400 maybe $1500 I would say pretty good deal.
Thanks for the response. If purchased, first step is replaced piston with wiseco with new fork seals. Ok sounds good. Once I get there and review, I will offer $1550.00 and see the response, if I see them oil spots wet or see any other defects.

Yes, I am definitely tired of looking at smaller kids bike. lol

I sure plan to ask a ton of questions and reading here to get familiar with taking care of the bike.

Thank you
jerry malbeck

Post by jerry malbeck »

I have a 14 year old son that just started riding last year , I have been riding for 50 plus years and have been on everything from mild to factory road race bikes , I chose a KDX 220 for my son just for the reasons you are asking , Its his first bike and he is now after a year on it riding the KDX to its potential. I also looked hard at a 150 F but am so happy we didnt go in that direction as he would be grown out of it by now , The 150 F is a great bike but is made for a smaller person or a mid sized kid . Ill guarantee you will be happy with the KDX its just the best all round bike that i know of after all the years i have been riding. You can ride them hard or just putt around and they will fit all needs inbetween AND cost a lot less after years of use .Maintanance is easy and affordable and sure is not as often as a 4 stroke. the 150 F is not a good choice in my oppinion just for that reason more service I.E. valve adjustments and shimming , top end wear , cam chains ,cams the list goes on . Buy the KDX with a smile and dont look back , youll be happier in the long run . I would have to think that the trainer you spoke to has no idea what a KDX is or how broad a spectrum they are capable of covering . If you like to watch a video of a KDX in action look here ---> Keep in mind this is a 14 year old after 9 months of riding proof that a KDX is a great bike to learn on . hope this helps , Jerry and Jared .
Joshmcmillan
Supporting Member

Post by Joshmcmillan »

jerry malbeck wrote: I would have to think that the trainer you spoke to has no idea what a KDX is or how broad a spectrum they are capable of covering .
I would agree with this. Most people have an opinion of all 2-strokes in general, that does not cover the KDX200/220 and other similar bike groups.
07' CR450X (Main Bike)
91' CBR250RR
Old Bikes: 97' KDX200, 00' RM125, 85' XR350, 94' KDX200, 02' CR80, 82' XT250, 98' CT200
kedmunds

Is a KDX 220 for me

Post by kedmunds »

Just my $.02 worth here on KDX's.

Back in my "Flat Belly" days, I raced everything from 125's, 250's and KDX200's. In my Honest Opinion, my KDX200 was my ALL Time favorite bike. I was able to enjoy wood trails, motocross tracks, Enduro Races and even won a lot of Motocross Races with my KDX200.

Fast Forward 15 Years to this year. My 20 Year Old Son told me that the ONLY regret that he has in life, so far, is that we didn't do more Father/Son riding when we both had bikes. He was in to Baseball and Soccer and played High School Soccer. So with this new information from my son, I went out and found some really nice, clean 1999 KDX200's and bought them for use to enjoy some time together. I just went out and bought 2 15 year old bikes.

The KDX200 is the only bike that I would feel comfortable buying as a 15 year old bike. These KDX200's start on the 1st kick every time and can be enjoyed with pretty much any type of riding that you would like to do. Get the KDX and enjoy the technology from Yester Year...
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

Not exactly sure where you find a dirt bike "trainer", but I would guess his background is probably road bikes and 4Ts. The TTRs are nice bikes, but the reason you see so many for sale is that you outgrow them quickly. An enduro 2T and a MX 2T are different animals and can't be lumped together like that. That doesn't even take into consideration the cost of ownership, maintenance, etc. Get a solid, mechanically sound bike, then get out on the trails. The bike isn't the limiting factor in your progression as a beginner.

And I'd be thinking hard about returning to this "trainer". If you can drive a standard car you already know everything you need to get rolling on a bike. Find some new riding buddies (local clubs are a great way to go!) and get on the trails.
goodoboy
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by goodoboy »

Thank you all for the good help.

I visited the bike today and here is what I saw:

1. I couldn't see one thing wrong. Maybe I am newbie, but the bike looks in good condition and well taken care of.
2. The owner didn't let me ride it, because I am still new. But he started it up many times and rode slow and fast and switch through the gears.
3. I did notice this bike smoke alot more than the ttr 230 I rode . But owner said this is why they call them smokey and once warmed up the smoke goes away. The smoke was a bit annoying but not too much. Just something I am not use to right now, but should be fine. Plus its mixed with oil.
4. I did notice the bike was louder than the 4t, but nothing to strange. It sounded nice!
5. He had aftermarket :FMF Gold Series Fatty pipe, FMF Turbine core II spark arrestor, Race Tech suspension on the bike and I am not sure what that is for or how it helps the bike
6. Owner has title, manual and I saw the vin number
7. The owner sound like he knew the bike well and maintained it well and had other toys to play with.

Questions:
1. Do 2t normally smoke as much?
2. How does the FMF Gold Series Fatty pipe, FMF Turbine core II spark arrestor help the bike? The owner said I need arrestor to ride in the park?'
3. The title is still in the previous owner name. he says he did not transfer title cause did not want to pay taxes on it. Is his ok? Do I have to transfer title to my name.

The bike was a bit intimating than that ttr230. But I sure wanted to ride it, but I understood he didn't want newbie on the bike.

Overall the bike is nice, I couldn't find one thing to talk him down the price about.

ONE thing for really sure I will need alot of help maintaining the bike and learning how to care for it. I sure hope I can get that support here. :cool: I just plan to ask alot of questions and post pictures of what I don't know. And be safe.

I will buy the bike tommorow and he will deliver tommorow.

Thanks for all your help.
Joshmcmillan
Supporting Member

Post by Joshmcmillan »

To answer your questions:
1. Yes. I would be worried if it didn't smoke, smoke means it's burning the 2-stroke oil that you HAVE To mix in with the petrol. If you buy the bike, make sure you use a high quality 2 stroke oil.
2. They'll give it more power/torque, most of the people on here have an FMF system on their bike (including me).
3. I'm not sure about this as I don't live in America.

The fact that they're loud and smoky, non-electric start etc. would certainly make them seem more intimidating at first. But you should be able to jump on it and ride around slowly until you're used to it. Just make sure, if you're not familiar with 2-strokes, that you mix the RIGHT amount of GOOD quality 2-stroke oil in with your petrol every time you fill it up with fuel. A ratio of 40 parts petrol, to 1 part oil is what I use (40:1). So I put 250mL of oil into 10L of fuel.
07' CR450X (Main Bike)
91' CBR250RR
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

Oil mixing in US terms at 40:1 would be 1 pint oil/5 gallons of gas...probably why a lot of people use that ratio.....easy to mix right.

I'd love to tell you my first experience on my KDX.......but it's a long embarrassing story that involved a DR visit :partyman:

Still, I love(d) mine so much...before I could bring myself to rebuild it...I bought another :kick:
newbbewb wrote:^what he said.
masterblaster wrote:Man 6 riders you rock.
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type
diymirage
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by diymirage »

just for the record, oil goes right in the gastank, not in the radiator :lol:
(little inside joke for the forum members)

I use klotz benol, good oil and it smells nice
the race tech suspension means that he had a bike shop go through the suspension and adjust it for his weight
this makes the bike much more balanced and stable (the KDX is unbalanced in stock for because the front and rear suspension are mismatched)
now, if the seller weighs the same as you then you are golden but if there is a big difference in weight then this suspension change wont be of much advantage to you

as for the title, as long as the person who's name is on the title has signed it over then you can change it, but you don't need to unless you want to get it roadlegal
newbbewb wrote:DIYmirage has it right.

-1996 KDX 200 woods weapon (converted to 99 green body)
-1996 KDX 200 plated street toy (barney edition)
-2003 Yamaha TTR125-L (wifeys bike)
-1997 KDX 220 project bike
goodoboy
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by goodoboy »

Thank you diymirage, 6 Riders, and Joshmcmillan for the comments today.

So I need to buy a gas jug, fill it with 5 gallons of gas and add 1 pint of oil? Then fill the gas tank and then ready to go!

What type of gas to use? Regular or supreme.

My tank size is 2.9 gallons from what i read on spec
goodoboy
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by goodoboy »

One other thing I notice.

I notice a small brown tube below the engine. It was dripping small amounts of gas. I as the seller what was and mentioned it to drip gas when the choke is open. When leaned to the side it leaked more gas but that was because I open the choke some more when he explaining what the choke was used for.

Is this correct?
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

Definitely use premium gas. 40:1 is a good ratio, and would be 1 pint (16 ounces) to 5 gallons. If you buy your oil by the quart, 1 quart will mix 10 gallons of gas. Very convenient. :) Here is a handy little ratio calculator...
http://www.kdxrider.net/oilfuelcalc.htm

The tube you mention is most likely the overflow for the carb bowl. It should not leak much or often, but will certainly pee out some fuel when the bike is leaned over.
goodoboy
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by goodoboy »

Julien D wrote:Definitely use premium gas. 40:1 is a good ratio, and would be 1 pint (16 ounces) to 5 gallons. If you buy your oil by the quart, 1 quart will mix 10 gallons of gas. Very convenient. :) Here is a handy little ratio calculator...
http://www.kdxrider.net/oilfuelcalc.htm

The tube you mention is most likely the overflow for the carb bowl. It should not leak much or often, but will certainly pee out some fuel when the bike is leaned over.

Thanks so just to make sure I understand, I know its simple. I I have a 5 gallons jug and I need to do is fill it with 5 gallons of gas and add 1 pint of oil? Then fill the gas tank and then ready to go! And if run out of gas, i can use that same gas/oil in the jug?

THanks,
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

Correct. I put the oil in first, then fill with gas, and give a good shake. Shake the can again if it sits for any amount of time in case the oil has separated at all. Also a good idea to give your bike a little side to side shake before cranking it up to make sure the fuel and oil are properly mixed.
Postigo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Postigo »

Congrats on your new to you bike:supz: I use a bottle made by sea sense to do the premix, it cost about a $1. Here is the tread http://www.kdxrider.net/forums/viewtopi ... =77&t=1911
The Doctor says I have multiple personality desorder... But we are not agree...
B737driver
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by B737driver »

Go to any bike shop and purchase a ratio rite. This will guarantee your mix at 40:1. Cheap insurance.
Live to Fly
Fly to Live