Got questions? We got answers....
goodoboy
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Considering Used 2000 KDX 220

Post by goodoboy »

Hello,

Spoke with Seller about buying his 2000 KDX 220

Here is the sales descriptioin "2000 Kawasaki KDX220, FMF Gold Series Fatty pipe, FMF Turbine core II spark arrestor, Race Tech suspension, very very clean bike!, runs great. new Monster graphics, ridden by middle aged adult, $1750 show contact info Clear title in hand"

The bike looks nice and local guy in my town.

I am newbie and 5-11, 168lbs, 34 yrs old. I never road dirt bike before and I think this a good bike for me for some trail riding or dirt for casual fun. No racing or serious jumps.

I have dirt bike lessons this week coming

Is there any questions or things I need to look for on the bike? The seller agreed to bring to local dirt bike shop for inspection of the bike before I but it. However, I can't ride it cause I don't want to drop it. The seller agreed to ride it to show it switch gears and so forth.

Any comments or advice. I think the price is fair, how about you?

Thanks for your support.
motogoalie1

Post by motogoalie1 »

The bike is a wonderful introduction to the world of dirt bikes. It will go slow when you need it and it will haul ass when you want it.

Heres what you are facing, be honest on what you are about to embark on. Its a used dirt bike. Its really quite old. So prepare to become a hobby mechanic. in the back of your mind accept that you might be buying a money pit. Its a hobby. RIght?

SO, that being said, read this site, read all the noob stuff, buy some tools, and prepare yourself to have work on things, have fun and ride a fun, well suited bike.

I bought a 2003 kdx 220 with a clear title and minor cosmetic issues for 1600 USD in Colorado with a clear Title and plates.

negotiate as you feel fit. That price seams fair if your comfortable with it. YOu might talk em down, dont know if you dont try.
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Considering Used 2000 KDX 220

Post by 6 Riders »

Depending on the area that you are in, Try to get that for $1500. Start at 12 and then move up from there. The bike is 14 years old y'know. Not that the age matters, mine are 30 and 20 year old bikes. I always make a list of things that I must do before riding the bike (well riding it for real).
Since you are new to dirt bikes, do you have someone that (hopefully) is mechanically skilled and experienced with 2 Stroke dirt bikes to help you out? That is a good place to start.
I always recommend (at minimum) a few easy repairs before riding;
chain and sprockets.
Water pump seals and bearings.
Linkage bearings.
Oil change and (if not equipped) a magnetic drain plug.
Fork oil refresh, maybe seals too.
2 (that is two) new air filters and oil...throw away the old filter that the bike came with!
Wheel bearings.
New grips.

You don't have to do all these things at once and depending on the condition of individual parts, maybe skip all but 3. But, you should at the very least, look at all these parts.

Good luck! :kick:
newbbewb wrote:^what he said.
masterblaster wrote:Man 6 riders you rock.
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type
goodoboy
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by goodoboy »

motogoalie1 wrote:The bike is a wonderful introduction to the world of dirt bikes. It will go slow when you need it and it will haul ass when you want it.

Heres what you are facing, be honest on what you are about to embark on. Its a used dirt bike. Its really quite old. So prepare to become a hobby mechanic. in the back of your mind accept that you might be buying a money pit. Its a hobby. RIght?

SO, that being said, read this site, read all the noob stuff, buy some tools, and prepare yourself to have work on things, have fun and ride a fun, well suited bike.

I bought a 2003 kdx 220 with a clear title and minor cosmetic issues for 1600 USD in Colorado with a clear Title and plates.

negotiate as you feel fit. That price seams fair if your comfortable with it. YOu might talk em down, dont know if you dont try.
Thank you for the help.

Yes, its a challenge indeed. But its a challenge I can have fun with. Its a new hobby for me. I don't have any friends that ride dirt bikes and its just something I want to do. I hope to join local dirt rider club and currently on the waiting list.

It will be a hugh learning curve for me for sure trying to learn to ride and fix the bike as needed. But I have some decent income and don't mind the work.

I seriously thought about buying new bike instead, but cost too much for a noob like me incase I drop a few times.

I am glad a forum like this exist when I am stuck in the garage not knowing what to do.
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

what area are you in?
newbbewb wrote:^what he said.
masterblaster wrote:Man 6 riders you rock.
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type
goodoboy
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by goodoboy »

6 Riders wrote:Depending on the area that you are in, Try to get that for $1500. Start at 12 and then move up from there. The bike is 14 years old y'know. Not that the age matters, mine are 30 and 20 year old bikes. I always make a list of things that I must do before riding the bike (well riding it for real).
Since you are new to dirt bikes, do you have someone that (hopefully) is mechanically skilled and experienced with 2 Stroke dirt bikes to help you out? That is a good place to start.
I always recommend (at minimum) a few easy repairs before riding;
chain and sprockets.
Water pump seals and bearings.
Linkage bearings.
Oil change and (if not equipped) a magnetic drain plug.
Fork oil refresh, maybe seals too.
2 (that is two) new air filters and oil...throw away the old filter that the bike came with!
Wheel bearings.
New grips.

You don't have to do all these things at once and depending on the condition of individual parts, maybe skip all but 3. But, you should at the very least, look at all these parts.

Good luck! :kick:
Thank you alot for the help.

Yes there is a new local mechanic about 6 minutes from my house if I need someone to fix something or just help me troubleshoot incase I get stuck.

Yes, the bike is old indeed. But it was between this and a 150F. The 150F is a few years old as well and from what I researched and ask, I would probably grow out of this bike in a few months. So with the 220 at least I can have for a some years.

I have not bought yet, I have to find a local bike shop to inspect before settling on a price.

Thanks,
diymirage
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by diymirage »

if the seller can not offer proof of a top end job be prepared to do one before you start riding the bike
the stock 220 piston will grenade on you sooner or later

other then that, look for common signs of neglect: dry chain, wore out sprockets, dirty and dry airfliter, cracked tires, anything that would indicate the owner has not taken good care of it

is this bike on craigslist?
if so, post it up, maybe we can spot a things...good or bad
newbbewb wrote:DIYmirage has it right.

-1996 KDX 200 woods weapon (converted to 99 green body)
-1996 KDX 200 plated street toy (barney edition)
-2003 Yamaha TTR125-L (wifeys bike)
-1997 KDX 220 project bike
goodoboy
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by goodoboy »

diymirage wrote:if the seller can not offer proof of a top end job be prepared to do one before you start riding the bike
the stock 220 piston will grenade on you sooner or later

other then that, look for common signs of neglect: dry chain, wore out sprockets, dirty and dry airfliter, cracked tires, anything that would indicate the owner has not taken good care of it

is this bike on craigslist?
if so, post it up, maybe we can spot a things...good or bad
http://houston.craigslist.org/mcy/4441036413.html

Thank you. I appreciate all the comments (good or bad) I can get. And things to check for. I am sure I be back with lots of questions if i get this bike.
goodoboy
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by goodoboy »

6 Riders wrote:what area are you in?
I live in Houston Texas
diymirage
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by diymirage »

looks to be a low hour bike (most of the paint is still near the footpegs)
and the front guards are added to protect the brake disc

you will need new fork seals, the way those boots are wet at the bottom is a dead give away

other than that it looks good but be SURE to ask about the top end and if you do decide to take this one mention all the info you got here to haggle on the price :wink:

goodoboy
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by goodoboy »

diymirage wrote:looks to be a low hour bike (most of the paint is still near the footpegs)
and the front guards are added to protect the brake disc

you will need new fork seals, the way those boots are wet at the bottom is a dead give away

other than that it looks good but be SURE to ask about the top end and if you do decide to take this one mention all the info you got here to haggle on the price :wink:
Thanks alot.

I will ask him about top end on Tuesday and get his response. I ask him could he ride the bike for me so I can hear the gears switching. I have lessons on Wednesday so hopefully this will be enough to let me ride down the street. I am leaning heavy on the bike inspection on this one.

Thanks
jerry malbeck

Post by jerry malbeck »

Bought one last year same year not quite as low hours ( by the frame wear) BUT did not have leaking forks , I paid 1000.00 BUT that was a good buy . The bike in the pics is very low hours or has had the frame repainted .Main thing is check air filter , make sure its jetted right ( the mechanic can tell you this ) . as said ask about piston( wiseco?) rear shock linkage as well as swing arm bearings, steering head bearings , wheel bearings etc . have mechanic check rear shock for preload and clunk when lifting rear of bike ( indicates worn shock linkage) . tires , chain and sprokets , Make sure bike does not leak fuel when placed on side stand with fuel on ,Indicated bad needle and seat or possible float level problem .ask what type of oil has been used in engine as well as type of oil and mixture rate in fuel , if owner cannot answer these questions sompthing is not right .check drain plug and make sure it is not damaged ( stripped out), check rims for bent or flat spots , make sure choke pull lever will stay up by itself and fuel petcock moves freeley and is not hard to move . Check brake pads front and rear. this price in my book is a little high for a stocker but I would have to see it and hear it run to make that decision .all the things i mentioned if not right will make bartering a lot easier . good luck and have fun with it .
diymirage
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by diymirage »

jerry malbeck wrote:t I would have to see it and hear it run .

that brings up an interesting point, the KIPS system on the KDX has a very peculiar rattle to it which is music to our ears but to the untrained ear might sound like something is rattling around in the top end

here is a video of it

[youtube][/youtube]

Joshmcmillan
Supporting Member

Post by Joshmcmillan »

The frame on that one for sale you're looking at looks like it has either been repainted or the bike hasn't done much work. IT doesn't take long at all for the paint to wear off around your boots.
07' CR450X (Main Bike)
07' KX125 (Completed basket case rebuild, for sale)
88' KDX200 (Not sure yet, runs but with rattly top end)
91' CBR250RR
Old Bikes: 97' KDX200, 00' RM125, 85' XR350, 94' KDX200, 02' CR80, 82' XT250, 98' CT200
goodoboy
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by goodoboy »

Hello all,

I spoke the to seller today and he mentioned that he had the bike for over 3 years and has only ridden the bike for less than 10 hours. He mentioned that the previous owner completed the top end.

Of course I have noone of knowing if this is true or not. However, tommorow I am calling a motorcycle shop to complete inspection of the bike and I ask them to complete compression test.
goodoboy
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by goodoboy »

jerry malbeck wrote:Bought one last year same year not quite as low hours ( by the frame wear) BUT did not have leaking forks , I paid 1000.00 BUT that was a good buy . The bike in the pics is very low hours or has had the frame repainted .Main thing is check air filter , make sure its jetted right ( the mechanic can tell you this ) . as said ask about piston( wiseco?) rear shock linkage as well as swing arm bearings, steering head bearings , wheel bearings etc . have mechanic check rear shock for preload and clunk when lifting rear of bike ( indicates worn shock linkage) . tires , chain and sprokets , Make sure bike does not leak fuel when placed on side stand with fuel on ,Indicated bad needle and seat or possible float level problem .ask what type of oil has been used in engine as well as type of oil and mixture rate in fuel , if owner cannot answer these questions sompthing is not right .check drain plug and make sure it is not damaged ( stripped out), check rims for bent or flat spots , make sure choke pull lever will stay up by itself and fuel petcock moves freeley and is not hard to move . Check brake pads front and rear. this price in my book is a little high for a stocker but I would have to see it and hear it run to make that decision .all the things i mentioned if not right will make bartering a lot easier . good luck and have fun with it .
THank you very much for the information.
This my first time looking at a dirt bike. Where are these parts located at?

Is there anywhere I can look to see the where the parts are located at? Like a manual for 2000 Kawasaki KDX 220.

Thanks
ICRage42
Supporting Member

Post by ICRage42 »

On the front page there is an online manual you can buy. I have both and I would say if you can get the book its much easier to put on the side while working on bike. Although a laptop with manual by the side is also an option.
If you cant fix it with a hammer, you have an electrical problem.
goodoboy
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by goodoboy »

diymirage wrote:
jerry malbeck wrote:t I would have to see it and hear it run .

that brings up an interesting point, the KIPS system on the KDX has a very peculiar rattle to it which is music to our ears but to the untrained ear might sound like something is rattling around in the top end

here is a video of it

[youtube][/youtube]
Is this how te bike should sound
diymirage
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by diymirage »

yes, the video I posted is a normal sounding KDX
the KIPS (Kawasaki Integrated Powervalve System) has a very peculiar rattle to it, that's why I posted it for you
(the pitch of it will slightly change when you pull the clutch lever)

JasonK94Z

Post by JasonK94Z »

That bike is worth the asking price. Of course you should try to get the price down, but it will have no problem selling for the asking price. The KDX is a popular bike.
2002 KDX 220R
2003 KLR 650