How to tell mixed gas from non mixed gas

Got questions? We got answers....
Mark W
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

How to tell mixed gas from non mixed gas

Post by Mark W »

Sorry I haven't been around much lately. I haven't been out much on the bike and therefore nothing has happened to the bike. It is about that time to send the carb off to Ron and to get a new pipe so that I am good to go next season.

Anyway, a question came up at work today and outside of some analytical testing, I didn't know the answer. A friend has 5 cans of gas in his garage, one of which has been mixed 50:1 with oil for his 2 smoker outboard motor. He doesn't know which one is the mixed can, and which ones aren't. How do you tell?

One suggestion was to put a piece of paper in the gas cans and let it dry. The ones with pure gas will evaporate leaving nothing behind and the mixed can will leave residue on the paper.

Can't use colr of the mixture as the oild mix had no dye in it.

Mark W
motorider200

Post by motorider200 »

One way that I can somtimes tell is that if you put the gas cans in the sun the one with oil mixed in will build up a lot more pressure much faster than the cans without.
97 KDX200(225)- mine
01 KDX220- brothers
97 XR400- dads
IdahoCharley
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by IdahoCharley »

Why would the one mixed with oil build pressure faster? I would have assumed just the opposite, since oil is less volatile than gas.

I think the residue test would be good - but then again it is not one of my bikes that may burn down due to lack of oil.

With my mindset I would likely mix the two five gallon containers and then pour it into my truck. Then purchase new gas and mix up some premix for the bike - but that is just me. :partyman:
KTM 380EXC Mine
KDX 200 Mark's
TTR 125 L Wife's
KDX 200 Austin's
EC 300 Tyson's
WR430 Husky - mine
motorider200

Post by motorider200 »

>|<>QBB<
IdahoCharley wrote:Why would the one mixed with oil build pressure faster? I would have assumed just the opposite, since oil is less volatile than gas.

I have no clue why but I have observed that when I have a tank with premix in it sitin out in the sun it puffs out like a marshmallow much more than a tank without oil. Who knows I'm probably just crazy :rolleyes:
97 KDX200(225)- mine
01 KDX220- brothers
97 XR400- dads
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

I would put a small amount into a jar and stick it in the sun. The oil should settle to the bottom as the fuel evaporates away. I had some in a jar a while back and all that remained after a few days in the shed was the oil. Just a thought. Your idea is pretty good... :grin:

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car."
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

Put some of the fuel from each can on a paper towel and leave set for a few minutes. The gas will dry and leave an oil spot from the sample that has gas in it. Mark your dab of gas from each can on the towel so you can identify which can the dab is from. The blue paper shop towels from an auto parts store works great. I do this often to determine if oil is already premixed with gas.
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

Well I think you should round up some buddies with 2 strokers, so that you have 5 all together

Give 'em all a can of gas, and the way you figure it out, my guess would be who's ever bike didn't blow up! :partyman:

Simple :supz:
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
kelasaki

Post by kelasaki »

Kind of like the old joke, "What's the difference between an anal and oral thermometer?"
"The taste."

I like the paper towel test so far.
I wonder if you can feel the difference between straigt and premix?
Green Hornet
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Green Hornet »

I have noticed the oil/gas color has a blue tint to it. Look with a flashlight
"Growing Old is Mandatory, Growing Up is Optional"
2008 KLX450R
2008 DRZ400SM
2005 KDX 220R
1985 KDX 200A3
2005 KLX 125L (SONS)
2003 KTM 50SX Pro Jr
B Senior # 254/0092

http://sponsorhouse.loopd.com/Members/R ... fault.aspx
Thanks to my 2008 Sponsers:
Dunlop, SteelMX, Amsoil, Simpson, Pro Works Racing, Pro Moto Billet, SLAP Energy,Boyesen, Rhino Stands, SixSixOne/SunLine Moto for your support.
John W Read Jr
KDX220PHIL
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by KDX220PHIL »

I bet someone sells a refractometer that can not only distinguish if there is an impurity disolved within gasoline but also determine the concentration .
KDXer
Supporting Member

Re: How to tell mixed gas from non mixed gas

Post by KDXer »

*EDITTED*
Green Hornet wrote:I have noticed the oil/gas color has a blue tint to it. Look with a flashlight
Mark W wrote:
Can't use color of the mixture as the old mix had no dye in it.

Mark W
Last edited by KDXer on 08:44 am Oct 27 2005, edited 1 time in total.

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car."
KDX220PHIL
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by KDX220PHIL »

I didnt know that a refractometer works based on colours, I thought it is based on the principal that the speed that light travels through a medium is slowed down as the density increases. Therefore, if it were calibrated for regular gasoline the refractometer should be able to determine the concentration based on the density of the mixed gas. The density change would give you its refractive index. I am not positive though, any reasons why it wouldnt work?
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

KDX220PHIL wrote:I didnt know that a refractometer works based on colours, I thought it is based on the principal that the speed that light travels through a medium is slowed down as the density increases. Therefore, if it were calibrated for regular gasoline the refractometer should be able to determine the concentration based on the density of the mixed gas. The density change would give you its refractive index. I am not positive though, any reasons why it wouldnt work?
:shock: I believe ya mate, honest !!!

My comment was directed at Green Hornets reply. :mrgreen:

KDX220PHIL
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by KDX220PHIL »

Oh, sorry MAN! :grin: I get it now.
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

Here's my non Obsidian induced answer:

Run some from each can through your lawn mower

Should be able to smell it and it won't hurt the mower, hell I run all my old 2smoke gas in my mower
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
Green Hornet
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Green Hornet »

Hey, just my observation :roll:
2008 KLX450R
2008 DRZ400SM
2005 KDX 220R
1985 KDX 200A3
2005 KLX 125L (SONS)
2003 KTM 50SX Pro Jr
B Senior # 254/0092

Dunlop, SteelMX, Amsoil, Simpson, Pro Works Racing, Pro Moto Billet, SLAP Energy,Boyesen, Rhino Stands, SixSixOne/SunLine Moto for your support.
John W Read Jr
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Taste it... or burn it. :wink:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
Green Hornet
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Green Hornet »

>|<>QBB<
Indawoods wrote:Taste it... or burn it. :wink:
Now, theres an IDEA :supz:
Just cleans your palet before each taste
2008 KLX450R
2008 DRZ400SM
2005 KDX 220R
1985 KDX 200A3
2005 KLX 125L (SONS)
2003 KTM 50SX Pro Jr
B Senior # 254/0092

John W Read Jr
zkdx

Post by zkdx »

sorry..ot...but mr wibbens, just now looked at your avatar :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
04' WR250F--All the standard mods
91' KDX200 (a.k.a. The White Ghost)--not much done yet
01' XR80-kids
01' XR50-kids
85' GS550E--For Sale
KanuckKDX

Post by KanuckKDX »

>|<>QBB<
skipro3 wrote: I do this often to determine if oil is already premixed with gas.
Skip,

"Often"???

I can see some remote possiblity of doing it once (putting straight gas is a pretty big no-no) but marking the container temporarliy or permanantly is not difficult.

I am fairly incompetent (at times), but I try and hide it.
KanuckKDX
'01 YZ426F son's
'02 XR400 still for sale
'04 KTM 450exc it's all about the e-start