Heat Gun

Got questions? We got answers....
m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Heat Gun

Post by m0rie »

When people talk about using a heat gun to reshape plastic like the gas tank is this what they are refering to?

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/D ... mber=35776
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

Man! That'll perm your hair!!
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

>|<>QBB<
skipro3 wrote:Man! That'll perm your hair!!
Is that a yes?
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Yep... that be a heat gun! :grin:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

That's a "I don't know", but with that much power; 1000 degrees, I sure hope it'll do the job. You could have plastic dripping off the bike!! For that price I need one. It's on it's way!!
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Yep, that is it, m0rie.

$20? I expected a lower price from Harbor Freight. I've got a Wagner, and I don't think I paid but about $20 for it. Of course, that was several years ago. (goes back to whittling a stick on the front porch)
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

They have another one for the same price that comes with a case and a couple other dodads. Figured I might need to pick one up to tweak the gas tank so a KX triple clamp would clear. Besides, you can never have enough tools... :lol:
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

heat gun, gas tank, last will & testament :mrgreen:

I have a Pro Taper upper clamp on my '94, and it barely hits the tank.

Do you know for sure that a KX front end will hit the tank? Maybe I have something new to worry about in the "What Fits What" game.

ARGGGH!
m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

I think it depends on the clamp and the orientation of the pinch bolts. Its just like Russian Roulette trying to match the KX stuff up.
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

When I win the lottery, I will buy one of everything and print a book, detailing it all. :supz:
IdahoCharley
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by IdahoCharley »

You can always install some stops for the forks to prevent the fork from hitting the tank.

Aren't the KDX tanks somewhat prone to some plastic problems like cracks and splits? Or is that just certain year KDXs? Don't know if I would want to heat up and reform a gas tank if the tanks have any issues to start with.
KTM 380EXC Mine
KDX 200 Mark's
TTR 125 L Wife's
KDX 200 Austin's
EC 300 Tyson's
WR430 Husky - mine
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

How would one install a stop??

I have only read about the lime green '95 and up tanks having "cracking at the filler neck" problems. I can't remember anyone having violet or black tank problems, nor anyone with a non-lime green '95 and up tank having a problem. By that, I mean it being a common problem. I can't remember any other problems, if that makes sense. :rolleyes: :grin:
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

>|QBB<[/url]
jafo wrote:Well it's not a problem yet but could be. My fork stoppers are all but usless when I converted my forks due to the shimming. Now that my damper is on, I did'nt notice the interfearence between the damper tower on the frame and the top clamp. I noticed it yesterday. Well I've came up with a solution and wanted to share with my buddies. :mrgreen: It's very simple. I tried to find a good location on the bike to install some stop bushings. I finally settled on the short part of the exposed frame rail bellow the front of the gas tank. I then had to find a hard enough rubber bushing that was thick enough. I had alittle problem locating that because it needed to be at least 3/4" thick rubber. I looked at alot of stuff at the autoparts store but remembered using expansion plug rubber for bushings on my car. The rubber was just the right hardness and the thickness was perfect. They come in a different outside diameters to choose from. So I went that route. Next was time to decide on how to mount them on the frame. I decided to epoxy them to the frame. I got me some Loctite brand quickset epoxy and glued them on. I roughed up the frame first, then cleaned it all up, next I roughed up one side of the rubber and clenaed it good then stuck'm on. I'll have pics in the gallery soon.

I don't know if you guys had this problem with your dampers or not. I looked into getting a shim taken out but found that the steering stops was'nt comming into play even if they were aligned to hit anyways. The topclamp was hitting the damper tower long before the stops came close to touching. So the bushings was my only solution in my feeble mind.

Jon.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
IdahoCharley
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by IdahoCharley »

Jason you are likely correct concerning the tanks.

All I remembered was a thread or two concerning the splitting near the cap and then something related to Mother Kaw warranty certain year tanks due to a plastic defect. Did not really pay too much attention to the facts since they did not apply to our bikes.

The rubber stopper worked for jafo and sounded like a good solution.

I likely would have drilled and tapped a hole or welded on a nut on each side of the frame. Then used a threaded bolt and a locking nut to adjust how far the stopping bolt protuded. Of course you have to line up a suitable point on the triple tree to butt against prior to welding the nut onto the frame.

Or you possibly could drill and tap a hole in the lower triple tree and use the bolt/locknut approach to limit the turning of the forks by butting against the frame.

Jafo's approach sounds simply and clean and cushions the contact point. :prayer:
KTM 380EXC Mine
KDX 200 Mark's
TTR 125 L Wife's
KDX 200 Austin's
EC 300 Tyson's
WR430 Husky - mine
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

Mine ONLY JUST hit. With a hard yank to the side it would barely touch the tank. The heat gun I beleive is an easier solution or option as opposed to making new stops. I'm not saying Jon's idea is a bad one, just that my clearance issues weren't very bad at all, maybe a few MM's. I have an Emig top clamp though, not a stocker.

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car."
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

And Jon has????? :roll:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

>|<>QBB<
Indawoods wrote:And Jon has????? :roll:
Both are Emig clamps, but I thought Jon's was a KX500 clamp?
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Thanks for the info. Whenever I get it all switched over, I will check for it hitting the tank.
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

They look like they are pretty close to the same spec to me... but who knows....

Trev's

Jon's

*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

The difference is how Jon's stem and bottom bearing were installed from memory. That's why the stops don't line up. The 2 clamps are slightly different. :mrgreen:

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car."