OWNERS MANUAL THE RIGHT ONE?

Got questions? We got answers....
GOT WOODS?

Post by GOT WOODS? »

So I ordered an OEM owners manual for my 2003 KDX220 from Motosports.com and what they shipped me says KDX200 on the cover. It is Kawasaki part number 99924-1181-10. I know that the two models are for the most part interchangeable, but did they send me the wrong one or when I unwrap this thing (which I don't want to do until I confirm it is the right one), will there be specs for the 220 in it as well?
Thanks!
2003 KDX200: Bone stock

2003 KDX 220:
Boyesen reeds
Gnarly Gold Series pipe
Turbine Core 2 silencer
Fat Bars
Super Sport IMS pegs
Cycra Probend hand guards
Tusk dualsport light kit
LED headlamp
Boyesen Factory Racing mag cover
Airbox snorkel removed
Wiesco piston and rings
pumpguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by pumpguy »

No, you got the right manual. There is a supplement for the 220 that is available. I found mine online, although I can't now tell you where.

Check page 4-12 describing assembly of the sub-valves. There is a now well known error in my copy. Don't know if newer copies were corrected. In the bottom right illustration, both the valve and the rod should be labeled RIGHT. Also, the text should say "The RIGHT sub-valve has a groove [A] and the right exhaust valve rod has an O-ring for identification."
pumpguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: OWNERS MANUAL THE RIGHT ONE?

Post by pumpguy »

Sorry, I see you say "Owners Manual", and yes they are the same. I was thinking you meant Service Manual.
GOT WOODS?

Post by GOT WOODS? »

pumpguy wrote:Sorry, I see you say "Owners Manual", and yes they are the same. I was thinking you meant Service Manual.
Sorry, my mistake! I did indeed mean to say "service manual". Thanks huge for the info on the manual correction. I need to pop my top end off this weekend to see if I have the infamous hand grenade that looks like a piston, or some safer alternative that the previous owner installed.

I did order the supplement as well but that looks like it is back ordered for a few weeks. Hopefully there is nothing in there that I'll desperately need while I have a top end in one hand and some unknown mystery part in the other.....

Thanks again big-time for the info!

2003 KDX 220:
Boyesen reeds
Gnarly Gold Series pipe
Turbine Core 2 silencer
Fat Bars
Super Sport IMS pegs
Tusk dualsport light kit
LED headlamp
Airbox snorkel removed
Wiesco piston and rings
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Hi. That is the BASE SERVICE manual, not the owner's manual.

Here is a link to where Kawasaki allows free viewing of the owner's manual:

http://www.kawasaki-techinfo.net/showOM ... ng_code=EN

For the service manual for your KDX220R, you bought the correct "base" manual for the KDX200, as well as the supplement manual for the KDX220R. The supplement manual shows the information that applies specifically to the different parts on the KDX220R, such as piston diameter measurement, bore size measurement, etc.

As Kawasaki roughly states, proper servicing requires both the base manual and the supplement manual.

If you need something quick, I can dig out my supplement and let you know something.

You have done very well in your purchases.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
GOT WOODS?

Post by GOT WOODS? »

pumpguy wrote:No, you got the right manual. There is a supplement for the 220 that is available. I found mine online, although I can't now tell you where.

Check page 4-12 describing assembly of the sub-valves. There is a now well known error in my copy. Don't know if newer copies were corrected. In the bottom right illustration, both the valve and the rod should be labeled RIGHT. Also, the text should say "The RIGHT sub-valve has a groove [A] and the right exhaust valve rod has an O-ring for identification."

Exactly what my new service manual says! Thanks for the heads up on that, looks expensive if they were put in wrong.....

2003 KDX 220:
Boyesen reeds
Gnarly Gold Series pipe
Turbine Core 2 silencer
Fat Bars
Super Sport IMS pegs
Tusk dualsport light kit
LED headlamp
Airbox snorkel removed
Wiesco piston and rings
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

There are 10 versions of the manual. I think the error is just in version 1 or 1 and 2.

The newer versions came out as the year models increased. A couple of things changed, but not much, such as the rear axle nut torque going from 72 to 80 foot-pounds.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128