Clanking sound in forks

Got questions? We got answers....
JasonK94Z

Clanking sound in forks

Post by JasonK94Z »

I just changed fork springs, fluid, and added gold valves to my forks on my 220. Whenever compressing the forks while sitting on the bike, I get a clank sound coming from one of the forks.

I've serviced forks before, on my KLR, so I'm not too new to doing this. However, something seems to be not right about this. Suspension feels good and works though.
When installing the gold valves, do the valves screw into anything else besides the base if the forks? Is the something internal I may have not assembled to?
2002 KDX 220R
2003 KLR 650
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: Clanking sound in forks

Post by KDXGarage »

Fork clicks in past posts have usually ben narrowed down to the floating brake rotor or the spring hitting the inside of the tube.

See if you can reproduce the sound with the front wheel against a wall or similar, not using the front brake.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
MikeNZ

Clanking sound in forks

Post by MikeNZ »

Yep had the same issue when I changed mine to heavier racetech spings, was told to turn forks on to the topnut insted of turning the top nut. I did this but didn't really seem to notice any difference, so just kept riding and must say they work great I think they still make some noise but to be honest I dont notice anymore.
JasonK94Z

Re: Clanking sound in forks

Post by JasonK94Z »

Strange. Wonder what turning the fork tube onto the top cap has to do with anything.
2002 KDX 220R
2003 KLR 650