Swingarm Play

Got questions? We got answers....
Fatherof2
Supporting Member

Swingarm Play

Post by Fatherof2 »

Hi Guys,

I was taking my studded tires off last nite.............winter is finally over............and I noticed some play in the swingarm.

When the bike is up on the stand, I can move the swingarm up and down about a quarter of an inch.

Time for new bearings?

Thank you,

D.
For God and Country......Geronimo, Geronimo, Geronimo!!
royadams
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Re: Swingarm Play

Post by royadams »

Probably lower shock bearing
pumpguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Swingarm Play

Post by pumpguy »

The manual says "A small amount of play on the pivot is normal and no corrective action is needed. However, if excessive play is felt, check the swingarm and uni-track link bearings for wear and replace them if necessary".

I have all new bearings in mine and there is a small amount of up and down play. Haven't figured out why. Maybe just accumulated bearing clearance.

It never hurts to check them to be sure. They could always use more grease.
Tyl3r
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tyl3r »

its easier to do with the wheel off, but lay under it and wiggle the swingarm up and down. While doing so, look at all of the bolts that go thru bearings. You will be able to see where you are getting your play at. I'd go from there. If you have the time, I would take the swingarm and linkage off and look at the bearings/sleeves and see what's bad and what just needs greased. I just recently did this on mine and ended up replacing all of the bearings. If they have never been replaced or serviced very often, it wouldn't be a bad idea to replace them all.

pumpguy is right tho. Mine has a tiny bit of play with all brand new bearings... but not nearly as much as it did before I replaced everything
04/05 KX220 Hybrid all decked out
18 KTM 500 EXC-F Dual Sport/Sumo toy
24 KTM 300XC-W Cheater bike
Fatherof2
Supporting Member

Swingarm Play

Post by Fatherof2 »

Great stuff guys..............thank you!
For God and Country......Geronimo, Geronimo, Geronimo!!
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

There will be a little play assuming the swingarm and linkage bearings are good, the first ones to go bad are usually the upper and lower shock bearings (Cheap to replace and simple insurance). .25" seems a little on the high side, I have about 30 hours on all swingarm/pivot/shock bearings replaced at the start of the season and have barely noticeable movement (maybe a couple mm)
vlxk98

Post by vlxk98 »

I found play like that on my 95/200. I was tightening the rear axle nut and saw that I could move the swingarm with the wrench on the nut about 1/4". The short story is I determined the play was the front linkage bearing. The longer story is when I did the original rebuild on this rescue bike, I did not torque the front linkage bolt to specs :sad: .

The bearings I replaced were actually still good, when torqued properly, and I know it was not because it was tight, but nearly as tight as it was supposed to be, no play afterwards!
ICRage42
Supporting Member

Swingarm Play

Post by ICRage42 »

Youll have some play after all new bearings and linkage etc. By play I mean it does move but would be hard to even measure. If its excessive or at a point where you could actually measure play then I would say yes you have something bad.

I replaced all bearings in linkage and swingarm and also shock and had very very little play till they broke in after a ride or two and the play has been the same for a year now. I just took out my swingarm and regreased everything. One year and about 14 rides or so and they seem all good yet. All balls seem to have a bit more wear to them while the pivot works I got seem to be in better shape.

Tear it apart and see what you got till then

Time for new bearings

1/4 inch seems a bit more then what Ive got sounds like that much might perhaps be the swingarm bearings. Mine were rusted good and my play was in my linkage I could easily tell it was from there. That much tends to make me think its the larger bearings needing replaced.
If you cant fix it with a hammer, you have an electrical problem.
AussieKDX200

Swingarm Play

Post by AussieKDX200 »

Does anybody have torque specs on hand for linkage/swingarm bolts?
1997 KDX200R
pumpguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Swingarm Play

Post by pumpguy »

Manual says 83 N-m, (8.5 kg-m, 61 ft-lb) for linkage, swingarm pivot nut 88 N-m, (9.0kg-m 65 fl-lb).