How many friction and steel plates in clutch?

Got questions? We got answers....
searle7

Post by searle7 »

I just bought a 2003 KDX 200 about a month ago and am having clutch issues. I couldn't start the bike in gear and was only able to start it in neutral. The bike would also stall as soon as I put it in gear. I took the clutch out and measured the springs and they are under the service limit. So I ordered EBC clutch springs from Rocky Mountain atv and was installing them when I noticed that they are nearly bottomed out when tightened down.
Looking at my service manual it states that there should be six friction plates in the main groove and one more friction plate in the other groove. I have 7 plates in the long groove and one more in the short groove for a total of 8 friction plates and 7 steel plates. Do I have one too many plates?

Any help would be much appreciated!
Joshmcmillan
Supporting Member

Re: How many friction and steel plates in clutch?

Post by Joshmcmillan »

I've never ridden a 2-stroke that could be started in gear when cold (with clutch in), and it is common for them to stall when put in gear if you don't give them a bit of a rev. Did you try adjusting the clutch cable?
07' CR450X (Main Bike)
07' KX125 (Completed basket case rebuild, for sale)
88' KDX200 (Not sure yet, runs but with rattly top end)
91' CBR250RR
Old Bikes: 97' KDX200, 00' RM125, 85' XR350, 94' KDX200, 02' CR80, 82' XT250, 98' CT200
searle7

Post by searle7 »

yes I adjusted the cable and it is within spec. im just confused because my manual states only seven friction plates.
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: How many friction and steel plates in clutch?

Post by bufftester »

On my 220 I have 8 friction and 7 steels. Make sure you also have the 2 spring seat rings and that the plates are within spec as well. The torque value for the clutch spring bolts is in inch-lbs so don't over do it. Not unusual for these bikes to be hard to start in gear with clutch lever pulled until they warm up good and even then to drag a bit.