MG's KDX200 Project

Got questions? We got answers....
MentalGuru
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

MG's KDX200 Project

Post by MentalGuru »

Traded some spare XR250 parts to a guy with a bunch of bikes. His dad bought him the bike new and has since past on. He decided to rebuild it and I was glad to help. I hooked him up with what he needed and he wanted to gave me a '98 KDX200 on trade. I did a walk around, rode it and took the deal.

Has a FMF Fat Boy pipe and I think an older FMF silencer on it. The headlight is ugly, the plastics are beat, the back tire bald, but it runs and handles real nice. It's been flipped a few times and that broke the rear silencer mount s. I also found out it's a '95 after I got it... Still happy with the deal, though.

It's seems pretty solid overall and is worth fixing in my book.

I'm an old guy who's pretty thrashed and crippled so it's light weight and minimal hit works for me. I'm a trail rider who used to race hare scrambles years ago. I have a nice XR250R project, but it has put it on the back burner. It's plated, but I don't really want to street ride anymore. I might just part it out...

I ordered a new front fender, rear fender, side panels, tank shrouds and some graphics for it already. I have a '98 CR500 KYB 46mm USD front end to swap on to it. There are also some other parts I have around for it.

I want find a stock silencer to swap it back to, find a case saver/cover, change the reeds and maybe having the Ron Black head and carb work done to it also.

I'm not super knowledgeable about KDX's, I'm searching, but your input would be great.
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that sometime, somewhere, someone said to themselves, “You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I’m just not close enough to get the job done.”
diymirage
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Re: MG's KDX200 Project

Post by diymirage »

welcome aboard

those purple forkboots are a dead give away its a 96s era (late 95-early 97)
should make a pretty solid bike

depending on where you are, I might have a stock silencer I could be talked out off (shipping would kill on those)
newbbewb wrote:DIYmirage has it right.

-1996 KDX 200 woods weapon (converted to 99 green body)
-1996 KDX 200 plated street toy (barney edition)
-2003 Yamaha TTR125-L (wifeys bike)
-1997 KDX 220 project bike
MentalGuru
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by MentalGuru »

This is the set of 46mm KYB CR forks I have. Very simple and user friendly to tune. With some gold valves and shim work, they work fine. I'm a big guy so I'll need a stiffer rear spring and have the shock revalved as needed. The set I have are in great shape. I know the stock forks would work fine, I just like USD forks better if they are set-up right. Different bearings and a spacer is all the swap takes from what I can tell so far.

I'm getting a black Guts competition tall seat to lose the rest of the purple.

The very existence of flamethrowers proves that sometime, somewhere, someone said to themselves, “You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I’m just not close enough to get the job done.”
MentalGuru
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by MentalGuru »

diymirage wrote:welcome aboard

those purple forkboots are a dead give away its a 96s era (late 95-early 97)
should make a pretty solid bike

depending on where you are, I might have a stock silencer I could be talked out off (shipping would kill on those)

Thanks for the welcome.

I wasn't too worried about the exact year.

I added my location. I'll send you a PM once they update my status.
MentalGuru
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

MG's KDX200 Project

Post by MentalGuru »

Here's an update,

Well I had a Hernia surgery scheduled so I pIcked up some parts and did a test fit so I could sit and plan what's next on the to do list. Surgery went well.

I replaced the front fender, radiator shrouds, side panels, rear fender, tossed on an old BD head light and some frame guards. I also picked up some graphics, a disc cover for the 500 USDs, a rear fender bag from a KLX250 and some new grips. Test fit the USDs and controls too. I have also picked up a DG skid plate and have a stock silencer in route.

With the correct bearings the forks will fit great and work with the stock steering stops. Now if I could just find some cheap KX green frame paint... That and a sprocket guard/case caver.

Here are some test fit pictures.

MentalGuru
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

MG's KDX200 Project

Post by MentalGuru »

Well the stock silencer came. Thanks Oldschool.

I tried to fit it and it confirmed the pipe is bent. I kind of suspected this since the rear silencer mount is broken off and the upper pipe mount is broken off the frame also. The pipe is an old FMF FatBoy. The expansion chamber mount is pushed inward from the side and the pipe outlet has an upward bend. The silencer won't even mount to the one remaining frame mount.

So I guess I have to wait to make the new upper pipe mount and weld it on. I should be able to properly locate and weld the silencer mount without a problem.

The upper expansion chamber frame mount is totally missing. I can tell where it goes, but not it's size....

So I guess it's time for a new pipe. I'm think I go with a FMF woods pipe.

I plan on having RB's head/carb work done, doing some different reeds and I'm hoping those mods will give me the desired power range.

Any thoughts or input would be great
MentalGuru
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

MG's KDX200 Project

Post by MentalGuru »

I bought a new FMF Burly woods pipe to replace it with from another member here.

I might pick up a stock pipe to hang on the shop wall just in case too... Right next to the twisted Fatboy pipe that I might try to fix later after the mounts are corrected.

The Fatboy is kinda rusty anyways, so the new Burly will look much better. I wanted more low end power anyways.
tirebiter

MG's KDX200 Project

Post by tirebiter »

MentalGuru wrote: I wanted more low end power anyways.
At our age, don't we all! :grin:
You healin' up ok??
And yeah, it's me, same ol' humbug lesjive fella...
If I can't do it, I'm sure someone else can!
MentalGuru
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

MG's KDX200 Project

Post by MentalGuru »

tirebiter wrote:
MentalGuru wrote: I wanted more low end power anyways.
At our age, don't we all! :grin:
You healin' up ok??
And yeah, it's me, same ol' humbug lesjive fella...

Ain't that the truth. Being tall and heavy guy doesn't help matters. It takes low end to move me.

I've been healing up great and started working out regularly. Just trying to get me ready to ride the KDX when it's done.

Does it count as exercise when I need the chest waders over on there... I sure hope so.

Remember attack the post, not the poster, add in facts, point out errors and make it paint a pretty picture. :whistle:

I was always wondering if you were all three in the same... :bravo: Well done, it's just internet. I don't hold grudges. :mrgreen:

I kinda had to ding ya the other day over there though. I get your point, it was just too blunt. :partyman:
Last edited by MentalGuru on 09:19 pm May 07 2014, edited 1 time in total.
tirebiter

MG's KDX200 Project

Post by tirebiter »

Glad to hear your healing up!
You know, 99% of the time I could care less about what people post, but after a few drinks... :busted: :rolleyes:
Are you going ahead with the fork swap, or plan on using the stockers for the time being? The reason I ask is I've finally got my stock forks performing adequately. Did a bunch of single track up in the Sierras yesterday, handled the rocks & roots just fine.
Let me know if your interested & I'll tell you how I set mine up.
No prob about the ding, the world's still in proper rotation.. :cool:
If I can't do it, I'm sure someone else can!
MentalGuru
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by MentalGuru »

I'm going with the USD's. They are open chamber so dialing them in is easy, just change the valve shims to dial them in. I gives me something to do. The spring rate seems right too.

I'd still like to hear what you did. The KDX forks are probably going on the XR. Either that or I might just part the XR out and get another KDX. I like to have a bike for friends to ride if needed. The suspension still gets set-up for me either way though.

I'm not even thinking about adding a steering damper to either one... :wink: I'll leave those for the fan boys.
MentalGuru
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by MentalGuru »

Picked up a FMF Burly woods pipe from kdxtreme. (Thanks) Fits great, the pipe and silencer mounts are fixed. The stock silencer fit perfect now.

Found some Grabber Green Rustoleum engine paint for the frame that is very close in color and less then $5.00 a can. Good to go.

I also placed orders for a bunch of parts and will be starting the tear down tomorrow.