problem - need an answer by Friday morning

Got questions? We got answers....
robjamell

Post by robjamell »

Hi Guys-

I just looked at a 2000 KDX200 that is in nice shape. I can get it for $1300. I went to check it out the other day and I started it and it was fine. I let it warm up and then went to take it for a ride. As soon as I went to give it gas it bogged and stalled. We could not get it restarted. He called me later and said he put in a new plug and it runs great. I have had two older KDXs and never had plug problems. Could this indicate a problem with the bike or could the plug just go bad all of a sudden? thanks in advance as he has another buyer if I don't take it Friday morning.

Also, he says on this year that you put the premix/2 cycle oil in a reservoir that injects into the gas. Is that true?

Rob
osobad
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: problem - need an answer by Friday morning

Post by osobad »

yes plugs can just go bad or foul. I would check it out again and ride it .See if it seems to run a little rich Take plug out and look at it. If it is dark could be jetting or right crank seal, but it would be losing tran fluid if it was bad seal. If left seal was bad it would be running lean.Look at plug
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

If you are in the states then I'd be a little wary if the owner really believes there's an oil reservoir....there isn't. I would hope that he's not filling the radiator catch tank with 2 stroke oil :blink: Take a good hard look at the bike's overall condition, usually gives a pretty good clue as to the maintenance done (or not done). Ask him to show you the oil reservoir and explain how it works...I'd really like to hear that story :rolleyes:
Joshmcmillan
Supporting Member

Post by Joshmcmillan »

I suppose it is possible that someone along the line has converted it to non-premix. But yeah, unlikely.
07' CR450X (Main Bike)
07' KX125 (Completed basket case rebuild, for sale)
88' KDX200 (Not sure yet, runs but with rattly top end)
91' CBR250RR
Old Bikes: 97' KDX200, 00' RM125, 85' XR350, 94' KDX200, 02' CR80, 82' XT250, 98' CT200
diymirage
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by diymirage »

bufftester wrote:If you are in the states then I'd be a little wary if the owner really believes there's an oil reservoir....there isn't.
just out of curiosity, is the gas tank made out of plastic or metal ?
newbbewb wrote:DIYmirage has it right.

-1996 KDX 200 woods weapon (converted to 99 green body)
-1996 KDX 200 plated street toy (barney edition)
-2003 Yamaha TTR125-L (wifeys bike)
-1997 KDX 220 project bike
osobad
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by osobad »

didn't see the part about oil reservior when I answered it def changes the perspective
sthutch
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by sthutch »

Your post reminded me of what happened to my '01 200. I had it for a year and a half and never fouled a plug, always ran great. Then one October I was warming up the bike in and it just quit. I pulled the plug and it was really fouled, so I put a new one in it. Ran great for the ride. I didn't get out anymore, so when December rolled around I wanted freshen up the top end. Pulled the cylinder and found a nice crack in the piston. I don't know for sure if there is a relationship as I didn't notice any aluminum on the sparkplug when I pulled it, but I sure will look closely if it happens again!

So at the minimum, I would follow all the previous suggestions and ask to see the old plug. Hopefully he hasn't thrown it away!

Sthutch
Sthutch

1st Bike: '72 Arctic Cat Whisker (rode it to the wheels fell off)
2nd Bike: '76 KT250 Trials (gone, but not forgotten)
3rd Bike: '01 KDX200
4th Bike: '96 DS80 (okay, my 9yr old's and it's gone)
5th Bike: '04 RM65 (okay, he's now 10 and it's gone)
6th Bike: '08 KTM 105xc (okay, he's now 13)
7th Bike: '06 KTM 200xc-w (okay, he's now 16)
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

is this a SR model?
Are you not in the usa?
gas tank: plastic or metal?
pictures?
robjamell

Post by robjamell »

Thanks so much for all the feedback. After speaking with him, it appears he has not been running any oil in with the gas and he has been filling what I think is the coolant overflow. The bike is in such nice cosmetic condition that I don't want to totally give up on it. He said he only rode 5 times and that is why he didn't realize the premix was not running down. Can someone tell me what would have to be done to the bike to get it back to proper condition and what the costs would probably be. I have included a pic where he says that he filled the white/clear bottle behind the gas tank shroud with premix. https://www.dropbox.com/s/y5c4lmrcfy1rr ... 20pic.jpeg
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

:doh: some people :roll:
I'm surprised it did not seize!
In any event i wouldn't be comfortable riding that before i checked the top end, might need new piston, rings and cylinder plating and also replace bottom end bearings (split the case).
In other words, it needs a rebuild, that will require time and a bit of money if you do it all yourself (doable for 1st timer with this site tutorials) or a lot of money if you have a mechanic do it.
I don't think i'd offer more that 500 bux max...
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

scheckaet wrote::doh: some people :roll:
I'm surprised it did not seize!
...I don't think i'd offer more that 500 bux max...
+1 In any event, it has been run without any lubrication for who knows how long...a rebuild is without question. Just parts you're looking at $300-500. May be better off just looking for another bike. Just one more example of why cosmetic condition means squat when looking at these bikes. Now, if I could get it for $500, then I'd take it, rebuild it, and ride happy!
newbbewb
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by newbbewb »

^^^what he said^^^

You can get one of these bikes all day long for $1500, I would keep looking unless he's going to cut a serious amount off the asking price. If he can't figure something that simple out, I bet the rest of the bike is K.O.'d. Keep in mind the time it takes to fix the engine. No way are you going to just throw a piston in at and ride away. bolting plastics on takes minutes, rebuilding an engine takes weeks.
93 kdx200-Highly modified
89 kx125/kdx200E engine
Buelldustin@gmail.com
robjamell

Post by robjamell »

Thanks so much. You guys have been SUPER helpful. I really wish I knew how much damage was done as he claims he only rode it for 5 hours. Unfortunately, he will probably put some premix in it and never tell the next buyer, but maybe not. Believe it or not, I am having a hard time finding a 200, but I have found a couple 220r. I hear the 200 is the one I should buy, but I really wanna get something soon.

Thoughts???
diymirage
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by diymirage »

220s are just as good as the 200 (maybe even better considering it has more low end grunt) BUT it needs to have the stock piston replaced

unless the seller can prove to you he has had the cylinder off and put in an aftermarket piston it needs to have the piston replaced (and a "wiseco" sticker on the swing arm is NOT sufficient proof)

if your in MI I could sell you one of my 200s ;)

robjamell

Post by robjamell »

Thanks! Why does the piston have to be replaced and what happens if you don't? Also, what is the cost of the parts to replace the piston?

THAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANKS
Rob
diymirage
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by diymirage »

the stock 220 piston is a bad casting and has a tendency to drop its skirts taking out the top end of the bike for sure and very likely dropping enough shrapnel into to bottom end of the bike to do some serious damage there aswell
(here is a nice bit of reading) http://www.kdxrider.net/forums/viewtopi ... 77&t=11380

there will be people who will tell you the stock piston is just fine and there is nothing to worry about but if it were my bike I would not run the risk, the 220 piston failure is far to well documented

looks like a wiseco top end kit can be had off ebay for about $130.00 and isn't very hard to install (though I don't think I would trust the first seller you mentioned to attempt it)

newbbewb
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by newbbewb »

whatever kawi did on the 220 piston sucks. I'm pretty sure at this point the bikes are old enough to say the piston has been changed. BUT, it's a new bike to you, do yourself a favor, and plan on ripping the top end down to service the kips and possible pistons and/or rings, etc. iThis kinda stuff is part of owning ANY bike, so it's not like kawi did bad. 2 years max on a piston in any two stroke. honda, suzuki, and yamaha are the same way. ktm you better check everything everytime you ride :twisted:
89 kx125/kdx200E engine
Buelldustin@gmail.com
diymirage
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by diymirage »

newbbewb wrote:whatever kawi did on the 220 piston sucks. I'm pretty sure at this point the bikes are old enough to say the piston has been changed. BUT, it's a new bike to you, do yourself a favor, and plan on ripping the top end down to service the kips and possible pistons and/or rings, etc. iThis kinda stuff is part of owning ANY bike, so it's not like kawi did bad. 2 years max on a piston in any two stroke. honda, suzuki, and yamaha are the same way. ktm you better check everything everytime you ride :twisted:

by the same logic you might as well say any bike you buy your gonna replace the piston in

newbbewb
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by newbbewb »

Is my logic wrong? my point is, a guy will almost never get an used bike and just ride. even though a 220 had a funky piston, I think at it's age, you would be hard pressed to find one with a factory piston. for me at least, once a year, I rip my top end down for rings, the next year it's a piston and rings.
89 kx125/kdx200E engine
Buelldustin@gmail.com
diymirage
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by diymirage »

its not that your logic is wrong but not everyone takes a good a care of their stuff as you do and not everyone believes in preventive maintenance
add to that the zombielike nature of the KDX (refusing to die) lots of people will not see a need to pull the barrel off and even check
im sure you would have no problem finding members who have bought a good running 220 and after being warned on here they pulled the barrel only to find MOST of the stock piston still there

(I think that's where that one signature came from "it still ran out of habit" or something like that