Trials Tires

Got questions? We got answers....
morganid
Supporting Member

Trials Tires

Post by morganid »

Anyone running a trials tire? Anyone ever run one on the street? I think a trials tire would have awesome grip on the road, but I question how it would hold up. Thoughts? :grin:
supermess

Re: Trials Tires

Post by supermess »

I have been running the dunlop d803 and love it. I have heard great things about the Pirelli MT 43 Trials tire that is DOT Approved.
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

I've been using the MT43 for years. Love it.
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

Seeing more and more trials tires on bikes in the local area, may just have to mount one up. I'm guessing that in the wet, tree root, rock, and log infested singletrack around here they would be awesome. Will keep my Dunlop desert knobs for the east side of the state though.
cornishwrecker220

Trials Tires

Post by cornishwrecker220 »

In sticky mud they aren't that good & don't grip, but on rock they work very well & stick like glue, the sidewalls are soft & flexible so if you run a low rear tyre pressure & ride fast then watch your rims, they also also wear quite quickly too !!
jerry malbeck

Trials Tires

Post by jerry malbeck »

If you run one on asphalt dont expect normal tire wear they are very very soft compound but grip they will .
supermess

Trials Tires

Post by supermess »

cornishwrecker220 wrote:In sticky mud they aren't that good & don't grip, but on rock they work very well & stick like glue, the sidewalls are soft & flexible so if you run a low rear tyre pressure & ride fast then watch your rims, they also also wear quite quickly too !!
The great thing about Trials tires is the size of the sidewall that allows you to run a lower pressure and not damage anything. Unless you are a skid into the corner and grab a handful of throttle on the way out kinda of rider the tire will outlast just about any knobby out there. Traction is pretty awesome every where with the right pressure and some time getting used to the tires.
morganid
Supporting Member

Post by morganid »

Awesome. Thanks for the input guys! I didn't think about the mud issue. I can see how they would fill up with mud and loose grip quickly.
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

At low pressure, they also clean out much better than a knobby. I really have no more trouble in deep mud than the knobby guys I ride with. Thick sloppy mud is difficult no matter which tire you run, lol.