99 KDX 200 Clutch Sticking and wont engage

Got questions? We got answers....
kdx_jeeves

Post by kdx_jeeves »

Hi all KDX'ers.
I bought my first 2t KDX a few months ago, and it has been one of the most thrilling events in my life!

Needless to say, lately I've found that when I am in 3rd or 4th gear and I am accelerating into high rpm down a straightaway, my clutch lever will become stuck. By stuck, I mean, imagine a rock or some evil dead gremlin's body impeding the clutch release lever that the cable connects to. At that point I am shifting clutchless. Once I get into second or first and stick to low rpm; it eventually starts working again.

It only seems to happen to 3rd and 4th gears, but it doesn't always happen (maybe 50% of the time).

I just changed the gear oil in an attempt to see if it would help. I believe I was running BelRay 80W Gear Saver from the previous owner. I put in some Motul 10W40 2T gear oil, and went for a quick ride. No issues! Then while riding on a longer stretch it happened again.

I'm now at the point that I'm probably going to need to take the clutch cover off, and see what can be seen.

I've searched around the web for this symptom, and watched a youtube video or two on clutch disassembly. It doesn't seem too hard (I said the same thing about copper plumbing too though :roll: ).

Has anyone had similar issues?
Any tips for a noob taking their first clutch apart?

Thanks!
royadams
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Re: 99 KDX 200 Clutch Sticking and wont engage

Post by royadams »

Sounds like your clutch basket is Groved. If its groved bad its best to replace. You can buy some time filling it smooth. But it will wear faster the more slop that the disc have.
Tyl3r
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tyl3r »

x2 on what Roy said. If you want to give it a try, I run ATF in my tranny. Gotta change it every ride or two, but its cheap (wayy cheaper than 2T tranny oils) and makes your clutch pull softer.
04/05 KX220 Hybrid all decked out
18 KTM 500 EXC-F Dual Sport/Sumo toy
24 KTM 300XC-W Cheater bike
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

Yeah, sounds like notching. As noted you can file the notches flat, but it's only delaying the inevitable clutch basket replacement. Clutch job is not hard, best thing you can do is have an impact wrench available to get the hub nut off...after that it's cake (as long as you have a manual...you do have a manual, right?)
kdx_jeeves

Post by kdx_jeeves »

Hey guys, thanks for the info!
That gives me something to go on. I'll probably break into this week.

From the sound of it, paying some $$$ for a manual is worth its weight in gold.
I'm the kinda guy that just replaces stuff when it breaks; I've learned that lesson far too many times.

I'll post my results.
Again, thanks for the advice! Have a great week y'all!
diymirage
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by diymirage »

you don't happen to have bark busters on your bike do you ?
silly as it sounds, ive have my brake lever get caught under bark buster before after a wipe out

on a side note, when shifting up I don't even bother clutching her once im past second
newbbewb wrote:DIYmirage has it right.

-1996 KDX 200 woods weapon (converted to 99 green body)
-1996 KDX 200 plated street toy (barney edition)
-2003 Yamaha TTR125-L (wifeys bike)
-1997 KDX 220 project bike
morganid
Supporting Member

Post by morganid »

So when you say your lever gets stuck, to you mean that you can't pull it or that you pull it in and it won't spring back? Lately my bike has been sticking so when I pull my clutch in sometimes it won't spring back for a minute. I think it's because my springs are wearing out.
newbbewb
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by newbbewb »

mogranid my clutch has done that a couple of times also, in top end 4th gear. not sure what it was, i ripped it down and everything was fine. not a good feeling at WOT 50 while flying over a gravel road with water.
93 kdx200-Highly modified
89 kx125/kdx200E engine
Buelldustin@gmail.com
kdx_jeeves

Post by kdx_jeeves »

Hi All,
No bark busters. Essentially what happens is you start out with perfectly normal operation. Once you get moving in 3rd or 4th you won't be able to pull the clutch in. Slowly but surely lever function will return once you slow down and get into neutral and keep pumping the clutch, but do a wheelie in 3rd or fly into 4th and 5th, clutch will be gone until you do the above.

If you don't accelerate too fast (ride like an old lady and stay off the pipe), clutch works fine in all gears. Moderate to high RPM seems to be the catalyst.

I got the clutch cover off yesterday, and so far there isn't anything telltale.
Former owner used some sort of rubber sealant or something. No gasket.

I'll have a go a taking the clutch hub and basket out when I get home from work.
Thx again for the info.
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

There is something not right about the clutch operation if that's the case. Check for notching of the basket fingers. Also when was the last time the clutch pack/springs were replaced. Check your actuator rod and bearing, spring plate wear and ensure everything gets torqued properly. The torque value on the spring plate is very low, and over-torquing them does bad things.
kdx_jeeves

Post by kdx_jeeves »

I got it all out. My basket looks pretty much like all the other notch cases out there:

Another twist though...
The nut that holds the basket on to the drive shaft (hub nut i think...) was completely loose. I didn't even need a socket. There was about a good almost 1/4" play where the clutch basket could move along the drive shaft. I'm guessing this might've been my issue because everything else looks pretty clean.
I also noticed that all my clutch disks are lined up the same. The top one is not offset. I read this isn't an issue necessarily, but more of a preference.

Anyway, please chime in on your thoughts on the basket.
In the meantime I think I'll tighten the basket to spec, slap it together, and see if I can't remedy this situation (not riding on one wheel that is...)

Again thanks everybody for your input!
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

I wouldn't put it back together until you file the notches down, you just wont have smooth clutch operation unless you do. Between being notched and not being torqued on it's not a wonder you had issues.
morganid
Supporting Member

Post by morganid »

My basket looked about the same when I pulled mine apart. I gently filed mine down.