More on spoo....

Got questions? We got answers....
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

More on spoo....

Post by canyncarvr »

I found this curious.

Last couple rides, my bike was increasingly more difficult (**edit**) to start. Recalling Ski's input on the same problem earlier, I figured it was time for a new sparky plug...mine seeing close to a year's use.

Yeah. My old plug was pushin' 40...as in .040". A new plug started much easier.

I found this curious.

Last couple rides, my bike was spooing less and less..actually almost 'good'. (No input required on this issue. It's a long story not related to jetting..well, not in the normal sense anyway.) I hoped the bike was sorting itSELF out, as nothing I do/have done has helped the spoo.

Ha! With the new plug (gapped to just under .030")...the drips are back!!

Same gas, same ratio, same fuel additives, same weather, same riding area, same riding pace..everything the same!

Something to wonder about...........
Last edited by canyncarvr on 05:01 pm Oct 25 2005, edited 1 time in total.

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Sounds like the thrill was gone for the combustion chamber... When you quite spooing, it's time to find another.... :wink:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Re: More on spoo....

Post by m0rie »

>|<>QBB<
canyncarvr wrote:I found this curious.

Last couple rides, my bike was increasingly harder to start. Recalling Ski's input on the same problem earlier, I figured it was time for a new sparky plug...mine seeing close to a year's use.

Yeah. My old plug was pushin' 40...as in .040". A new plug started much easier.

I found this curious.

Last couple rides, my bike was spooing less and less..actually almost 'good'. (No input required on this issue. It's a long story not related to jetting..well, not in the normal sense anyway.) I hoped the bike was sorting itSELF out, as nothing I do/have done has helped the spoo.

Ha! With the new plug (gapped to just under .030")...the drips are back!!

Same gas, same ratio, same fuel additives, same weather, same riding area, same riding pace..everything the same!

Something to wonder about...........
Once you had the bike started the first time in the day would it restart no problem? If gapping the plug a little larger than stock got rid of the drips
and didn't affect the performance of the bike (with the exception of a little starting difficulty) i'd regap the new plug back out to 0.035" and see if you can start it okay and if the drips are gone.
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Eggsactly!

That's what's on tap for the next trip out!

Excellent minds think alike, 'eh m0rie?

..so...who's the other guy? :wink:

Consider the source

skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

I wonder about your ignition system and if that's causing any problems. I have a brand new ignition coil (not sparkplug coil) you could try swapping with to see if that made any difference.
BTW, I discovered that my CDI mapping performs a double spark for each firing of my plug......on the KX that is. Must be why the fancy stator on the bike; so as to be able to develop enough juice to double spark in such a short time frame. I'm guessing you have already measured the static resistance of your ignition coil(s) and they are within spec. I have a chart for the static resistance of the CDI somewhere too if you think you might want to check that as well.

I forget, did you attempt to move your timing around to resolve the spooge?

****EDIT****
I forgot to mention: Doug's KX500 has been increasingly hard to start. He found the wooddrift key broke on his flywheel and his timing off. FYI
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

No. I have not adjusted timing to effect drip. My intention is less to make it go away by changing things than it is to eventually resolve questions of changes already made...thus the OEM cylinder sitting on my bench.

I've made timing changes before..+ and -...and decided that where it was to start with suited me best. Changing it around again may well be useful..but I probably won't.

If my coil can spark .040", my guess is it's fine.

Ha! I've been through the woodruff key problem before! That was fun to figure out!!

Consider the source

Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

If I recall... you say'd a while back something about having better bottom end due to some electrical component you installed... is that not working now? :?

Just throwing that out there for discussion,............
Still sounds like the porting job to me if you need a bigger arch to completely burn the fuel. Better put that stock cylinder on there... I bet your problems go away... I'd bet ya a Corona w/lime on that! :mrgreen:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

Never really thought about timing adjustment. A motor the NEEDS to run race gas should probably have the timing adjusted a touch...
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Inda wrote:..something about having better bottom end due to some electrical component you installed... is that not working now?
That electrical component was the Electrex lighting coil. That improvement is on Mr. Fredette's list of 'hop-ups' for the KDX. I'm saying I'm not the only one with that idea....and it's something I noticed before I found out what he had to say about it. Yes. It is working now.

The bike's performance is flawless. It grunts, it pulls, throttle response is great, yada yada. I've been on both 'sides' of jetting in every circuit and know what I'm running now is correct from the standpoint of performance.

When I get a piston kit, the cylinder is going on. That probably won't be any time so soon that you would want to hold your breath until.

re: what Fuzzy said

Good point. I hadn't looked at it from the standpoint of fuel requirement and timing changes. Hhhmm...Hey Jason!!...it's time to do some more pneumatic impact wrenching on my bike!!!

...hope I don't damage my FWW O-rings............. :shock:

(thassa joke, son)

Consider the source

KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

I have no experience with flywheel weights. Do they really come with o-rings?

Some jack-leg at Po' Pilot (copyright Jason 2005) does not mean there is one in your garage. :partyman:
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

FWWs do not have o-rings.

Therefore, they (FWWs) cannot be damaged with an air-impact...right? ;)

Actually I have damaged mine (well, the removal tool) with my impact..but that was because the included bolts that were used weren't well chosen for the job..and the adapter I used to fit it was chosen just as well. ;)

I fixed those problems....
Last edited by canyncarvr on 12:06 pm Oct 26 2005, edited 2 times in total.

Consider the source

Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

>|<>QBB<
fuzzy wrote:Never really thought about timing adjustment. A motor the NEEDS to run race gas should probably have the timing adjusted a touch...
Well isn't that a blanket statement! :shock:

Advanced or retarded? Retarded would be my guess....
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

And advanced would be mine!!

What you're trying to do (this is me interpreting the Fuzz) is not get rid of detonation. A motor that NEEDS to run race gas..and therefore is SETUP to benefit from the use of race gas will be running more advance than a similar motor that is NOT modified to require race fuel.

As long as I'm running an octane booster (true...not by design but to eliminate detonation), I might as well run more advance if I can.

Besides...if a bigger spark makes a difference, I'd relate that to being equivalent to advanced timing...not retarded.

Consider the source

Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Gotcha! :wink:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Regapped to .035". Forty mile ride. Some putting around, some intermediate-throttle stuff. Little WOT.

End up with a fender S/A mess like this:

But...bet you wouldn't think the plug would look like this!

Curious, huh?

Consider the source

fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

Yeah, that's got me curious.

In relation to timing I think you might want to retard it. CC, I've always known timing adjustments for race gas to be as you mentioned, but I don't think it works that way on a 2-stroke for some reason. On a 4T you're exactly right--Slower burning fuel needs the spark to come in quicker.....Thus 'advancing' it. I'll ask my kart engine builder to confirm the 2T mumbo jumbo. Timing could possibly eliminate your spooge, and your pinging w/o the need for race gas. I love 2T's, but my feeble little mind doesn't comprehend the physics of one like the 4T.
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

canyncarvr, have you replaced your subvalve yet?
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

Interesting...this is going to be quite the thread when you get to the bottom of things...
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

MAN... that's just not right! Nice plug and nasty mess... Just looks like too much fuel and a hot plug.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

NM_KDX200

Post by NM_KDX200 »

Goodness!!!! That plug would scare me to death. Mine are always at least the color of mOrie's avatar's legs.

And that is the most spooge I've ever seen. Wow.

Curious to see what this turns out to be....
1999 KDX 200
2001 KDX 220
2002 RM 134
2004 KX 125