Lowering KDX 200

Got questions? We got answers....
searle7

Lowering KDX 200

Post by searle7 »

I have an 2003 KDX 200 that is quite tall for me. I'm 5'7" and 165 pounds and find the bike a little tall. I have set the sag at 4" but I would like it a little shorter. I am pretty much a beginner rider and have fallen a lot when going up tight single track here in Idaho.

So I am looking at lowering the bike 1-2" and have done some research. Some people say to stay away for lowering links and to internally lower the shocks instead. However I can't find any information on how to internally lower the shocks yourself. Anybody have a guide on how to do that?

Thanks,
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Lowering KDX 200

Post by bufftester »

You can use a set of lowering links with little issue, especially as a new rider who is likely not going to push the suspension to its limits yet. There are Kouba links out there in a couple different sizes. If you do lower the rear with links you will need to drop the triple clamps down the fork tubes the same amount to keep your steering geometry right.

If you want to go the internal lowering route, Race Tech sells the required spacers, but it does involve disassembling your rear shock/forks completely (just like you were doing a rebuild).
Joshmcmillan
Supporting Member

Post by Joshmcmillan »

Let me know if your after the Koubalink KDX3 (lowest), as I've been thinking about selling mine and getting a standard one (was on my bike when I got it)
07' CR450X (Main Bike)
07' KX125 (Completed basket case rebuild, for sale)
88' KDX200 (Not sure yet, runs but with rattly top end)
91' CBR250RR
Old Bikes: 97' KDX200, 00' RM125, 85' XR350, 94' KDX200, 02' CR80, 82' XT250, 98' CT200
ecojbr
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Lowering KDX 200

Post by ecojbr »

I will chime in again on this subject. Lowering links will make the rear shock softer due to altering the leverage curve, make the front feel really stinkbug. Lowering internally isn't much more costly at a decent shop, fully reversible( but you prolly never will) and makes the bike handle the same and corner even better, gives a great confidence boost. Do some research and do it yourself. I have done 5 bikes now, it's not that hard to do, or have it done. The results are amazing
04 kx220 hybrid
03 kx 250
05 kdx 200
Keystone
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Lowering KDX 200

Post by Keystone »

I've looked into lowering links and the most common complaint is that your tires will rub your fenders at full compression. I dont know if this is true because I never used them, but it makes sense. I e-mailed race tech earlier this year about lowering a kdx200 internally with spacers. The price was $175 labor (front) and $175 labor (rear) if you have them do it. The spacers were around $40 fork spacers and $30 rear spacers. If you have racetech do the work you will also have to include shipping charges. Since they are tearing your suspension down, you will probably want to add new seals. It could get costly - in the $600 range easy.
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

No need to go through race tech, there are plenty of local builders that can do this stuff for much less. For a KDX, full fork service and lowering should be around $200-$250, you might want to pop another $110 for springs while there in there, but it's optional.
newbbewb wrote:^what he said.
masterblaster wrote:Man 6 riders you rock.
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type
nightfiref7efi
Supporting Member

Post by nightfiref7efi »

I cut my seat foam took off about 2 inches. Lots of videos on YouTube
jjavaman
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Lowering KDX 200

Post by jjavaman »

I picked up a no name link on eBay for 40$. It lowered the back 1" and I raised the forks the same. Love it! I'm 5'7"/ 155lbs and feel way way more comfortable on it. I can actually put my foot down at a stop. I'm no pro and the speeds I go and where I ride is not high speed so I'm not concerned about tires rubbing if I bottom the suspension, I'm more concerned about getting a foot down to stop a fall down a cliff!
97-220 with a PC pipe. 2015- RB carb and head mod
searle7

Post by searle7 »

Thanks for the replies. I would like to lower the shock internally but cant find any step by step procedure to do it. Anybody have a link on how to do it? I would like to purchase spacers from race tech and do it myself.
Joshmcmillan
Supporting Member

Post by Joshmcmillan »

In that case. Does anyone want to sell their stock links?

Mine has the lowered ones and I'm 6'1" so if it effects handling at all I'd be keen to raise it back up again.
07' CR450X (Main Bike)
07' KX125 (Completed basket case rebuild, for sale)
88' KDX200 (Not sure yet, runs but with rattly top end)
91' CBR250RR
Old Bikes: 97' KDX200, 00' RM125, 85' XR350, 94' KDX200, 02' CR80, 82' XT250, 98' CT200
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

Joshmcmillan wrote:...Mine has the lowered ones and I'm 6'1" so if it effects handling at all I'd be keen to raise it back up again.
Yeah, at 6'1" you don't want a lowering link anywhere near your rear end.
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Lowering KDX 200

Post by rbates9 »

I know this probably won't be what your looking for but, I ride with a girl that is around the 5'3" range. She rides a KTM 250??F. A full sized bike. She did put a shorter seat on it that lowered it about 1". She can not touch the ground at all when on the bike but when under motion she does great. When she stops she slows down and jumps off to one side of the bike to stand next to it. It has in a way made her a better rider. I have followed her through tight woods sections where I am putting a foot down left and right while she is just going through and tossing the bike back and forth. I guess the point here is that before you think you cant ride it the way it is try it.