Clutch operating backwards

Got questions? We got answers....
DEMOOR_KDX220

Clutch operating backwards

Post by DEMOOR_KDX220 »

After blowing my kdx220 up after a month of owning it i finally got it rebuilt. I warmed it up and was ready to ride but as soon ad i went to put it ito gear it stalled. I tryed 2 or 3 times and it stalled all three times. I decided to try and see what would happen if i tried to put it into gear with the clutch out and it went in fine as if the clutch was disingaged, then i pulled the clutch in and gave it some gas and it went forward. So the clutch is pretty much workin in reverse, wen u pull it in it goes wen u let it out it disingages. Anyone know how to fix this???
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: Clutch operating backwards

Post by Julien D »

First, welcome to the forum.

Check the clutch actuating lever where it comes out of the engine case. It should sit somewhere around 10 o'clock I believe. If it's not there, you'll have to pull the clutch cover and see what was assembled wrong. A manual is worth 1,000 forum posts.

http://www.cyclepedia.com/online-manual ... ice-guide/

Good luck!

J.
DEMOOR_KDX220

Post by DEMOOR_KDX220 »

Thanks for the reply!, everything looks like its incthe right spot, its been sugested that the clutch plates are stuck, the guy tht rebuilt my buke told me to pit it in gear and pull the clutch in and rev it up and it will break free and disingage like its suposed to but i have tried it several times with no sucess
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

That doesn't fit with you description of the issue. If it were stuck, it would be either engaged or disengaged, and pulling the lever would make no difference. Seems your mechanic has done something wrong. I highly recommend that all bike owners grab a manual and get familiar with their bike. There's also always the option of taking it back to the shop......

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk
Joshmcmillan
Supporting Member

Post by Joshmcmillan »

Honestly I can't think of any way that this is possible? The mechanism where the clutch arm goes inside the case can't really go in backwards or anything.... will be interested to see what you find out!
07' CR450X (Main Bike)
07' KX125 (Completed basket case rebuild, for sale)
88' KDX200 (Not sure yet, runs but with rattly top end)
91' CBR250RR
Old Bikes: 97' KDX200, 00' RM125, 85' XR350, 94' KDX200, 02' CR80, 82' XT250, 98' CT200
Tedh98
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Tedh98 »

Yup, can't wrap my brain around that one either.

Need to pull it apart and see what is going on.
DEMOOR_KDX220

Post by DEMOOR_KDX220 »

Ive searched the internet and i could only find one other case like this and there is a vid in youtube of a street bike acting like this but ive never found an explaination, i called the mechanic and im gonna bring it back to him to figure out cus hes the one who put it togetheter
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

Yeah, can't really picture how this is possible given the KDX clutch construction. Maybe if the springs and pressure plate were flipped, but couldn't really assemble it that way without sticking in a bunch of washers and bits that don't belong, or somehow got the throwout shaft and bearing to fit on the backside of the spring plate?
Julien D wrote: I highly recommend that all bike owners grab a manual and get familiar with their bike.
This can't be said enough. Get a manual, get some tools, do it yourself, save the money for more gas to ride. Doubt that I'd take anything else to that mechanic if he botched a simple clutch job, and then didn't even check his work afterwards (i.e.: start it and make sure it was working properly)
DEMOOR_KDX220

Post by DEMOOR_KDX220 »

I try to mostly work on my own stuff but i decided that since he had to press my crankberings i decidedto just to get him to do the entire thing wich seemed to be a mistake, he couldnt fire it up cus i only gav him the moter. wen i go to adjust the clutch to get it to proper specs i hve to screw it all the adjusters all the way out to get the proper tension, before the rebuild they were almost alll the way in so could something be tightened down to far or something? Thanks for the replies!!
Tedh98
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Tedh98 »

Sounds like he left out one or both of the washers.

One sites underneath the hub:

I don't have a picture of the other one, but it sits underneath the bushing/collar that rides between the output shaft and the clutch basket.

Those missing washers would only explain the change in the adjusters you had to make, it still wouldn't explain the backwards operation.
DEMOOR_KDX220

Post by DEMOOR_KDX220 »

Thanks for ur input, i think im gonna have to pull it apart and check for those washers!
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

Yeah, at the very least I would just remove the whole thing and inspect/reinstall it per spec. Only way to know for sure that it's back together right. If you do find what was wrong take some pics and post them up, add to the site and help someone in the future correct/avoid the same issue.
DEMOOR_KDX220

Post by DEMOOR_KDX220 »

Will do!!
newbbewb
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by newbbewb »

Is the engine running backwards?
93 kdx200-Highly modified
89 kx125/kdx200E engine
Buelldustin@gmail.com
Tedh98
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Tedh98 »

newbbewb wrote:Is the engine running backwards?
Good one
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

newbbewb wrote:Is the engine running backwards?
Could be!
newbbewb wrote:^what he said.
masterblaster wrote:Man 6 riders you rock.
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type
DEMOOR_KDX220

Post by DEMOOR_KDX220 »

Lol i think its running properly because wen i pull the clutch in it goes forwards not backwards, wen i was looking the problem up i read anout a few bikes that would run backwards if te crank was i the wrong posotion wen they kicked them and the bike would actually run i reverse
Joshmcmillan
Supporting Member

Post by Joshmcmillan »

I thought most 2 strokes could run in reverse if you ran started them backwards :grin:
07' CR450X (Main Bike)
07' KX125 (Completed basket case rebuild, for sale)
88' KDX200 (Not sure yet, runs but with rattly top end)
91' CBR250RR
Old Bikes: 97' KDX200, 00' RM125, 85' XR350, 94' KDX200, 02' CR80, 82' XT250, 98' CT200
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

Even if it was running backwards the clutch would still operate the same
DEMOOR_KDX220

Post by DEMOOR_KDX220 »

We never found out what the true problem was, we just took ithe clutch apart and put it bac together and it works fine