Hill climbing on KDX 200???

Got questions? We got answers....
searle7

Post by searle7 »

So I recently purchased a stock 2003 kdx 200 based off the reviews of it being a great two stroke trail bike. I have been able to ride it a few times but am having difficulty when hill climbing. It seems to have too little low end and then when I hit the powerband its a big hit and I lose traction while climbing. Is this how the bikes are? Would a 4 stroke work better when hill climbing? For being a KDX I didn't think it would have that much of a hit of a powerband but it sure seems like a lot. Maybe my bike isn't setup right? I heard of the "tractoring" ability of these bikes but I don't seem to feel it. Then again I haven't ridden a 2 stroke mx bike either.

Any help would be appreciated! By the way the bike is completely stock.

Thanks,
vlxk98

Re: Hill climbing on KDX 200???

Post by vlxk98 »

I have a 95/200. Mine will lug down pretty low when climbing. I am running 13/47 gearing, that's stock I think. Here in SWMO I haven't been absolutely not able to get up any particular hill on the trails I ride, but I will tell you technique is very important!

Getting forward on the tank to keep the front end down, elbows up, try to keep at least one foot on the pegs for balance,
one or two fingers on the clutch to smooth that powerband hit (be sure to check the color of the powerband, that is an important factor as well). Tire selection and terrain, around here we have a lot of rocks so traction on hills is something we hear about but don't really know what it is :grin:

And as they say...practice, practice, practice
:lol:
cowboyshooter04

Post by cowboyshooter04 »

i have moved the adjustment on my carburator slide ,seemed to change the powerband engagement ,made it smoother ,dont remember which way i adjusted it ,you might just have to play with it ,make sure the power valve is operating correctly (make sure it is in time & that someone hasnt broken the pin off in the power vlave shaft inside the right engine cover )
searle7

Post by searle7 »

So what are other ways to smooth out the powerband? It just seems to make me lose traction when going up steep loose rock sections.
Keystone
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Keystone »

For steep, loose, rocky sections, I'd take a 250 4-stroke over a kdx200. I have a klr250 and the power is just so mellow, low and smooth - it's amazing. it just won't slip. Try starting out from a stop in the middle of those types of sections, a 4-stroke will have you spoiled (maybe that's your problem?). I do have more fun and probably much faster overall on my "new" kdx200.
KDXrider1989

Post by KDXrider1989 »

certain expansion chambers/exhaust pipes can help smooth out the delivery, flywheel weight (though the KIPS already mimics that effect), I've heard a spacer on the resonator chamber and/or on the reed block help with low-end grunt, as well as FRP's "torque ring" which is just a thicker gasket that goes between the exhaust header pipe and the cylinder block. gearing also makes a huge difference
Keystone
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Keystone »

you may also notice a smoother less jerky power delivery with a "cush" hub or sprocket. Heres a website for the sprocket http://www.kushsprockets.com/products/c ... g-sprocket
Joshmcmillan
Supporting Member

Post by Joshmcmillan »

Use a flat head screwdriver to open the little circle cover on the left-hand side of the engine. Warm the bike up and then rev it and see if that piece rotates when the bike hits a certain RPM. If it doesn't your power-valves aren't working right and could be stuck on the 'power at high-rpm' option. I've bought two KDX's with non-working power valves, one had no top end, one had no bottem end (stuck on each direction).
07' CR450X (Main Bike)
07' KX125 (Completed basket case rebuild, for sale)
88' KDX200 (Not sure yet, runs but with rattly top end)
91' CBR250RR
Old Bikes: 97' KDX200, 00' RM125, 85' XR350, 94' KDX200, 02' CR80, 82' XT250, 98' CT200
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

I would suspect a problem with the powervalves and/or jetting. A stock 200 should have excellent low end pull, and very little "hit".
canamfan
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by canamfan »

Me and another guy came together on a steep rock strewn hill and both went down. You could hardly stand up on this hill, I picked my bike up started it and took off, lugged right up it. Then i realized i was in second gear, from the time I took off from a dead stop. I have a rev pipe and 13-50 gearing. The kdx is about as good as it gets for a two stroke lugging up a hill. I have a crf 250x and i think the kdx out pulls it uphill.
searle7

Post by searle7 »

Thanks for the replies. We actually went out on a small ride today and did quite a bit of hill climbing. My brother on his CRF 230 had an easier time than me when climbing and we are both newbies. Today i was just spinning out all over. Hard to control the thing. I will look at the jetting and the powervalve.
I will let you know what I find out.
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

i've mentioned in another tread recently but I think I'd look into jetting, make sure it's spot on, then supsension tuned for your weight, this makes a huge difference then working on your technic...
RyanKeyte

Post by RyanKeyte »

A KDX should have very little "hit". The power is a perfect linear curve for lugging up hills. Tires and PSI are important. Suspension is way more important than people realize.... Last year me and a friend were on some knarly single track, there was a section of very rooty, steep, tight uphill, my friend couldnt do it on his yz450f, So i let him try the KDX. He buzzed right up it and i took the 450. I own both bikes, but would take the kdx over the 450 anyday unless it was a wide open fast uphill...
My helmet is making it hard for me to hear natural selection screaming my name!!
searle7

Post by searle7 »

Thanks for everyone's replies. WE FIGURED IT OUT!!!! Turns out the the KIPS isn't moving at all when I rev the engine so the KIPS is bad and needs servicing. However I don't doubt we still need to look at jetting, suspension, and tires. This thing has an awful hit compared to my friends ktm 300. I will get it redone and report back on any improvements.

I'm not exactly sure what wrong with the KIPS, only that it doesn't move with the RPM's. I've tried searching on servicing the KIPS but haven't had much luck. Anybody have a link on servicing the KIPS?
Also is it possible to service it without taking off the head and jug?

Thanks again!
vlxk98

Post by vlxk98 »

With your KIPS stuff not moving at all there are several possibilities that can cause the problem.

First thing, and I'm sure more replies will advise, get a service manual! I lucked into one at a local bike shop and I can tell you it is well worth it.

And...if/when you get into disassembly, that little nut on the shaft that runs down into the right side of the engine, is LEFT HAND THREAD!!! The end of the shaft will break off fairly easily if you are not careful.

With stock jetting, probably very rich, maybe the KIPS is carboned up restricting movement. Pull the exhaust pipe off and look up in there, you can see the KIPS valves from the front. On mine, I had the cylinder off for piston/rings so I took the KIPS apart and cleaned all the pieces up before going back together. It looks harder than it really is to get the valves timed correctly (get a service manual :wink: ) And I'm sure all of us here will offer any help we can!
Joshmcmillan
Supporting Member

Post by Joshmcmillan »

This is what I think you should do:

1. Remove expansion pipe/first part of exhaust (springs and mounting bolts
2. Remove small right hand side cover where you can see an arm going from the bottom end into the head (3 bolts).
3. Try (you may not be able to) and move the lever side to side by hand. If you look up exhaust port you should be able to see the valves opening and closing (all at the same time)
4. If it moves freely by hand and valve look good, it's most likely the little pin lever in the lower part. Remove complete clutch cover and replace. Both my E and H series had this broken when I bought them, the E series one, broken bit jammed the gearbox.
5. If it seems to be jammed or not right in the top end. Then you'll need to pull the jug and inspect. If it gets to this stage a manual is very useful. Hopefully for your sake it's the little $5 lever though.

So far as jetting you need to start by seeing what jets are in it.
07' CR450X (Main Bike)
07' KX125 (Completed basket case rebuild, for sale)
88' KDX200 (Not sure yet, runs but with rattly top end)
91' CBR250RR
Old Bikes: 97' KDX200, 00' RM125, 85' XR350, 94' KDX200, 02' CR80, 82' XT250, 98' CT200
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

check my sig for newb how to thread.
I'd bet the actuator pin is broken, you MUST remove all the pieces floating in the tranny.
searle7

Post by searle7 »

Well you were right. I took off the kips cover on the right side of the engine and the assembly moved fine by hand. I took off the right engine cover to show the kips shaft. Sure enough the pin was gone and there were metal chunks in the bottom of my case! So im going to order another actuator pin but what do i do about everything else? I nevere really found the pin. The bike shiftes fine before i tore it apart. Can i just clean my clutch and wipe out the case and call it good? What do i use to clean my clutch and gears??
Thanks again for uour help.
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

You need to get all the pieces out, i.e take apart the whole thing on the clutch side. you may or may not find the pin, it might be already reduced to small pieces (best case scenario). In any event remove them all.

Mine was fine for a few rides after i broke the pin (after doing the top end), but then it came to a sudden STOP in the middle of a ride...
When I took it apart, some pieces of what i can only assume was the pin and plate got stuck in the kick starter, clutch basket gear/cogs...and cracked them, I had to replace them all--->$$$