New bike. Where to start?

Got questions? We got answers....
BluZuki

Post by BluZuki »

Just picked up a 1994 KDX 200 that has been sitting for a few years now. I'm new to 2 strokes this is my first. The previous owner purchased the bike and did not put very much time on it before it died on him. He was practicing 1st gear wheelies and was topping it out rpm wise. He did not think it overheated but maybe ran out of gas. Tried starting it again and it ran momentarily before dying again. Was worried about something major being wrong and put the bike up. It was not low on fuel. Was running a 50:1 ratio.
Now here it sits.
I'm not to sure where to start with it. Compression test? Carb clean? Spray of ether to see it fire?
I've read through the newb page which is extremely helpful but seems to be a thread for a running bike. I just need a starting point, so maybe I can get your thoughts on where you'd start. I'd like to get it up and going for the season, without tearing it all apart if I don't absolutely have to.
I don't know when the last time the piston rings or top end has been replaced if ever so I guess I'm confused as to how you know when to replace them and which parts to replace.
Hope this makes sense. Thanks for any replies
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

could be a seized piston if it was held pinned in 1 st for long time...
what pipe are u running?
clean carb, see what jets are in there
do you have spark?
change spark plug, use the correct one.
get fresh fuel mix.
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: New bike. Where to start?

Post by 6 Riders »

here are a couple suggestions. There are many things that you will need to do to the bike, but you need to know if she runs first, or if there are major repairs necessary to get it running.
Pull off the inner clutch cover and check for a broken actuating pin for the Kips governor, might be floating around in there somewhere. Then pull the carb and look for gunk.....you know it will be there, get yourself new jets as they will be clogged up well. Pull the whole cylinder, leave the head on, just in case everything looks good, you can put it right back together.
newbbewb wrote:^what he said.
masterblaster wrote:Man 6 riders you rock.
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type
diymirage
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by diymirage »

if he is considering a compression test (and claiming it ran momentarily) I wouldn't worry about the piston being seized up

I would get a new plug (br8es) and clean the carb
might as well get a few new jets since these bikes came rich like pigs from the factory and it will need to get jetted properly

personally I wouldn't worry about the actuator being broken BUT if I were I would pull the kips cover once I got the bike running and just see if it moves (as in not worrying about it until it runs)
newbbewb wrote:DIYmirage has it right.

-1996 KDX 200 woods weapon (converted to 99 green body)
-1996 KDX 200 plated street toy (barney edition)
-2003 Yamaha TTR125-L (wifeys bike)
-1997 KDX 220 project bike
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

If the top end checks out OK, the water pump seals will need to be replaced, especially since it's been sitting so long.
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Welcome to the forums. Congratulations on getting a KDX. With that said, forgive me for being blunt, but...

" I'd like to get it up and going for the season, without tearing it all apart if I don't absolutely have to. "

You should have purchased one that was in running condition.

That or pay someone else to take it apart.

Beyond that, fuel, spark and air
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
BluZuki

Post by BluZuki »

Let's see if this works
BluZuki

Post by BluZuki »

BluZuki

Post by BluZuki »

It has a pro circuit exhaust, any jet recommendations?
It is not seized and turns over. By kicking it it feels as though there is compression.
The fuel tank is bone dry but the carb looks like there is fuel all over the outside.
I'll check compression tomorrow and mix up some fuel to see if it fires.
BluZuki

Post by BluZuki »

KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Don't look bad!

Worth some effort to check it out.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

Looks like the Jug was cleaned/service lately, did he say anything about having a top end done?
ICRage42
Supporting Member

Post by ICRage42 »

Looks like a nice find.

One question what is going on with the expansion pipe? If you look at the pictures by the bracket and hole is there a piece missing or is that perhaps the wrong pipe? How does it look bolted to the rest? I don't think that ziptie will last on a long ride.
If you cant fix it with a hammer, you have an electrical problem.
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

ICRage42 wrote:Looks like a nice find.

One question what is going on with the expansion pipe? If you look at the pictures by the bracket and hole is there a piece missing or is that perhaps the wrong pipe? How does it look bolted to the rest? I don't think that ziptie will last on a long ride.
It's missing the dampening mount, nice catch!
Gotanubike
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by Gotanubike »

My FMF gold pipe doesn't fit my bike either and that mount had to be skipped as well because it didn't line up...

These are just 2 random KDX's for example. I think there was at one a revision on the E frame. Have a look at these two pictures and compare the "V" that the frame an the subframe make. Unless the second picture just has some sort of plastic cover but I think some changes were made to the frame within the 89-94 time frame...

1990 KDX200
Bike Profile -> http://www.kdxrider.net/forums/viewtopi ... 61#p136315
Suspension Overhaul(Shock+89-92 conventional forks) -> http://www.kdxrider.net/forums/viewtopi ... 15&t=15255
96'-98' RM125 Showa 49mm fork swap -> http://www.kdxrider.net/forums/viewtopi ... 04&t=16994
KDXrider world map! -> https://www.zeemaps.com/map?group=186158
DRoCksks

Post by DRoCksks »

Second one has frame guards, probably made by Acerbis (mine look just like that).
Gotanubike
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by Gotanubike »

Oh alright, scratch that then :doh:

The bike looks good though. Could use a power rinse and an oil change first of all...Low compression is usually not a common problem for two strokes unless it's piston/rings related, in any case if that bike has the stock piston/rings in it, it will be time to replace that. If it dies after you let out the choke it's likely the jets or in extreme case overheating(5+ minutes or riding). Does it have coolant?

Btw you can have the head off one of these bikes in 20 minutes, really there are chain guides and shims to mess around with they're really a pieceof cake to work on
1990 KDX200
Bike Profile -> http://www.kdxrider.net/forums/viewtopi ... 61#p136315
Suspension Overhaul(Shock+89-92 conventional forks) -> http://www.kdxrider.net/forums/viewtopi ... 15&t=15255
96'-98' RM125 Showa 49mm fork swap -> http://www.kdxrider.net/forums/viewtopi ... 04&t=16994
KDXrider world map! -> https://www.zeemaps.com/map?group=186158
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

New plug, check for spark. If it does, give it a shot of ether and see if it fires. As far as getting it up for the season without tearing it all apart, a little unrealistic for a 2 stroke that has been abused and left sitting for a few years. Assuming that the compression is good and it fires a short list of what I can see is:
  • new levers
  • new lower brake hose guide
  • a thorough cleaning
  • the rear axle has been installed from the wrong side (the clam adjusters are upside down)
  • rear brake reservoir looks a little low (new fluids are in order all around anyways)
  • a thorough carb cleaning and run through the jetting procedure
  • check of wheel, steering and suspension bearings
  • at least one seat bolt appears to be missing
  • pretty healthy ding in the header portion of the pipe
  • Odo drive cable missing, you'll want to make sure that drive assembly is plugged/capped

That is the absolute minimum I would do to get through a full season. Properly maintained these bikes are a breeze to keep going, neglected they take a bit more work to bring back.
BluZuki

Post by BluZuki »

Wow. I appreciate all the great advice. Looks like I have my work cut out for me.

"pretty healthy ding in the header portion of the pipe". Anybody ever weld studs and use a slide hammer to pull these out?
6 Riders wrote: It's missing the dampening mount, nice catch!
Will this dampening mount fill the space between the frame and pipe because they don't seem to even come close to lining up.
6 Riders wrote:Looks like the Jug was cleaned/service lately, did he say anything about having a top end done?
No he knows nothing about service on the bike. That is why I was wondering if there was a diagnostic test I could perform to see if it is needed. I did a compression test but the rental gauge I used was a piece of trash, broken lens and bent needle, and wouldn't hold a reading.
I read about that leak down test and may try performing that after I get a good compression reading.
It has spark so next I will clean the carb and mix up some fuel and see if it fires.
If it does I'd like to test the kips system. Still confused on that but I'll go back through and read some more.
diymirage
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by diymirage »

those dampers never last long and will fill the space you mentioned

here is how I handled mine

http://www.kdxrider.net/forums/viewtopi ... 77&t=14503
newbbewb wrote:DIYmirage has it right.

-1996 KDX 200 woods weapon (converted to 99 green body)
-1996 KDX 200 plated street toy (barney edition)
-2003 Yamaha TTR125-L (wifeys bike)
-1997 KDX 220 project bike