Horn

Got questions? We got answers....
morganid
Supporting Member

Horn

Post by morganid »

Has anyone successfully wired a horn onto the KDX with the stock stator?

I'm in the process of making my '03 KDX 220 street legal and have hit a brick wall. I have the horn wired into the wire for the on/off switch and another wire wrapped around a bolt on the tripple clamp to act as a ground. But when I push the horn button, the entire system grounds out. Any ideas?
:hmm:
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Horn

Post by 6 Riders »

Horns are usually negative actuated. the ground is switched and the power is hard wired into the lighting harness. Give it a go and let us know how it works like that.
newbbewb wrote:^what he said.
masterblaster wrote:Man 6 riders you rock.
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type
ecojbr
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by ecojbr »

Run a seperate button for the horn. If it is a kill switch then as 6 riders said ad a constant power source, run your switch to the ground side. Also beware that AC voltage will give your horn a weird sound
04 kx220 hybrid
03 kx 250
05 kdx 200
diymirage
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by diymirage »

not to be a smartypants but how does your state feel about the bicycle type horns, you know, with a little bulb you squeeze (picture a clown and you got the idea)

that is what the previous owner did with my bike when getting it plated and it was still mounted on the bike when I bought it
newbbewb wrote:DIYmirage has it right.

-1996 KDX 200 woods weapon (converted to 99 green body)
-1996 KDX 200 plated street toy (barney edition)
-2003 Yamaha TTR125-L (wifeys bike)
-1997 KDX 220 project bike
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

diymirage wrote:not to be a smartypants but how does your state feel about the bicycle type horns, you know, with a little bulb you squeeze (picture a clown and you got the idea)

that is what the previous owner did with my bike when getting it plated and it was still mounted on the bike when I bought it
LMAO< My father in law uses a bell!
newbbewb wrote:^what he said.
masterblaster wrote:Man 6 riders you rock.
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

Does your state require Hi/lo headlight and turn signals? If so you'll need to at the least rewire the stator just to get enough juice for everything. Better still is to do a DC conversion with a battery. Stock KDX you'll be nearly invisible at night at a stop sign at idle. Couple of good threads on here about this subject. stator/lighting discussion, lighting questions, stator rewinding. A KLR handlebar switch unit works great for control of everything and can be found fairly cheap.
pumpguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Horn

Post by pumpguy »

As wired from stock, you will need a 12 v AC horn. These may be difficult to find if they are available at all. The 12 v motorcycle horns I have seen are DC. I think your best bet would be to wire in a small rechargeable 12 volt battery and power your horn off that. Recharge the battery at home as needed. My state requires an electric powered horn to be road legal, so this my plan to deal with this requirement.
cornishwrecker220

Horn

Post by cornishwrecker220 »

My 03 220 is street legal & has a working horn, rear stop light & hi/lo beam....I used the stock wireing from the stator for the output power along with a basic enduro handlebar switch with wires for the lights/horn button etc....everything works as it should, but not very well at the same time!
Joshmcmillan
Supporting Member

Post by Joshmcmillan »

My H-series KDX had full high/low beam lighting, indicators and horn etc.. when I got it (street plated also)... It appears to have some sort of AC/DC rectifier up under the headlight... haven't found any rechargeable battery in it yet :P
07' CR450X (Main Bike)
07' KX125 (Completed basket case rebuild, for sale)
88' KDX200 (Not sure yet, runs but with rattly top end)
91' CBR250RR
Old Bikes: 97' KDX200, 00' RM125, 85' XR350, 94' KDX200, 02' CR80, 82' XT250, 98' CT200