Carb adjustment help. High idle

Got questions? We got answers....
JasonK94Z

Post by JasonK94Z »

All factory 220 with new top end, boyesen power reeds, and rb head.
Using factory 33mm carb, factory 145 main, 42 pilot, factory needle on second clip down from top.

Idles high all the time. 1 turn to 1.5 turns out on pilot gives me the highest idle. Half turn out on air screw settles the idle down but gives poor throttle response from idle to 1/8th throttle or do.
The idle adj screw (plastic screw), does not do anything at all for idle adjustment. All the way in or completely out of the carb. Nothing.

Not sure where to go from here.

Yes, I've read the jetting guide.

Thank you for any advice.
2002 KDX 220R
2003 KLR 650
JasonK94Z

Post by JasonK94Z »

Should there be a small amount if free play in the throttle? My throttle cable is adjusted with no slack at all.
2002 KDX 220R
2003 KLR 650
cornishwrecker220

Post by cornishwrecker220 »

Yes the throttle cable should have some free play...re-adjust the throttle cable & go from there, check to see if the cable hasn't snagged on anything....next tweek the throttle stop screw...for best results & before you adjust the idle, run the bike up to working temp ...adjust the fuel mixture screw if necessary to settle the idle.
urgreathero

Re: Carb adjustment help. High idle

Post by urgreathero »

try bumpen up your pilot jet a size or two that controls the flow of atomized mixture from idle to 1/4 throttle.
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

It gets repeated a lot on here, but for the sake of continuity...you just put a new top end, aftermarket reeds, and a modified head on...you WILL need to rejet the bike. Again, make sure everything is mechanically sound (i.e.: all cables adjusted properly, no holes in intake boots, clean filter, freshly packed exhaust, new plug, etc, etc , you get the idea.) If you haven't, take the carb off, disassemble it, and clean it thoroughly. Set float height. Then step through the rejet procedure without skipping anything. Everyone wants the quick fix, then ends up spending twice the amount of time they would have if doing it properly. If you don't have one, get a manual...best money you can spend on your bike (along with a torque wrench).
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

make sure your idle screw is not broken.
then follow the jetting guide. (see my sig at the bottom for the link)
JasonK94Z

Post by JasonK94Z »

It's all good. It was the throttle cable adjusted too tight. I adjusted it to give it the appropriate slack and now the idle is adjustable somewhat. Pilot is adjusted now also. So now it is time to oh rode somewhere I can do a plug chop.
2002 KDX 220R
2003 KLR 650