Suspension

Got questions? We got answers....
bigbytree

Suspension

Post by bigbytree »

I have a 2002 KDX 220 that I bought with a wiseco piston, Gnarly pipe and fmf silencer, and 2005 KX 125 fork, with my riding gear on I weigh about 165. The bike has a one inch lowering link in it as I am only about 5' 3''I feel like the rear suspension is too soft, and don't feel like the front suspension is performing the way it should, where should I adjust the S/H for the rear and the front suspension. I like the feel of a MX bike that will pop out the turns and soak up the bumps. I love the bike and want to make some adjustments if I can. I want to be able to do small jumps and prefer a trail riding style where there is enough room to grab a few gears and really get on it. Appreciate any help or thoughts.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: Suspension

Post by KDXGarage »

165 or 165 in full gear with any add-ons?

Are the forks lowered internally?
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
bigbytree

Post by bigbytree »

I have no idea about the forks. bought it from kind of a dirtbag that looked to weigh about 130 soaking wet. I weigh 165 with all my gear on.
ecojbr
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by ecojbr »

Lowering links change the leverage ratio and your bike will be soft. Have the shock and fork lowered internally. Not that pricey and you will thank your self when it is done. I have 2 hybrids and a KX 250 lowered internally, only way to go.
04 kx220 hybrid
03 kx 250
05 kdx 200
jerry malbeck

Post by jerry malbeck »

where do you live ? what state , there are a bunch of good suspension tuners around , It would be worth your while to sent it or call them and get some ideas of what to do. Your fighting kind of a mess at the moment as you dont really know what you have to work with at this point . I suggest you tear into the front forks and see what ya got. Or like i said send the shock and forks to a tuner , tell them what you want then ride and enjoy.Or start doing a ton of research and then fix it yourself by trial and error . there are a lot of veriables in your suspension ,sag, springs, valves,oil, shims etc.
KarlP
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by KarlP »

The first thing that comes to mind is that with the rear down 1" and KX forks on it, it has got to be way low in the back unless the PO had the forks lowered to match. That front/rear ride height or "attitude" has got to be right before anything else will help, IMO.
With the back down an inch, the forks need to come way up out of the front triple tree to get close. Can you put the original links back on? 5' 3" isn't too short if you keep moving......
'08 KTM200xc
'99 CR/KDX Hybrid with that RB stuff done to it
KX100 for the boy
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Whether they are or not currently, the forks need to be lowered internally.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
ecojbr
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by ecojbr »

I have to agree at 5'5" almost any bike I ride needs lowered. It's fine on easy trail, but get into some gnarly rocky off camber trail, reaching the ground is priceless. Not to mention the confidence that comes from not feeling like you are owned by the bike.
04 kx220 hybrid
03 kx 250
05 kdx 200