Handlebars, Chain/Sprocket Advice?

Got questions? We got answers....
morganid
Supporting Member

Post by morganid »

I need new handle bars. I bought my bike with the cheepiest FLY bars available. Bent them while the bike and I slid down a 30 foot snow pile. I really like the Tusk 7/8" bars. And I like their price. I've had them on my KX 500 before. What are the best bars for the KDX? (I realize they are all fairly generic, but I'm looking for user input)

Also, my bike need a chain BAD. I've heard that it's usually not a good idea to replace the chain without changing the sprockets with it. My sprockets don't look all that warn. Can a save myself a few bucks and just do a chain? What chain/sprockets are best for the KDX? I'm going to be doing on and off road riding.

Thanks.
Corey

Re: Handlebars, Chain/Sprocket Advice?

Post by Corey »

IF your sprockets are in good shape adding a new chain will not appreciably prematurely wear out your chain. There has always been a debate about this. I have done this before and suffered no premature wear on chains. I'm a big believer in sticking with an OEM countershaft on my bikes and buy aftermarket with the rear sprocket. I have had good results with Renthal. Plus they give you quality stickers. :grin: I have Renthal bars on mine ('96) with no complaints. When I got my bike I yanked off the o-ring chain and put an RK Gold Series non o-ring chain with no problems. If you ride in muddy conditions all the time o-ring is the way to go. Your riding conditions will dictate what type you'll use.
K50X200
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by K50X200 »

I just put a set of these on - for $70 & free shipping...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pro-Taper-SE-7- ... 43c03feceb
I haven't had them on the trails yet - but I did have them out on the street the other day when we got a break in the "Polar Vortexes"!
They seem like a good bend for the trails and I thought the price was great for everything that came with them...
Here's all the Pro Taper stuff at their ebay store, there's a couple different bends there...
http://stores.ebay.com/TACMOTO-ATV/_i.h ... 1109945837
"00 KDX200 - Baja Designs D/S Kit, '03 KLX300 Forks, KB5 Suspension Mods, Keihn 35 ASQV, Boyesen Rad Valve, Gnarly Woods Pipe
diymirage
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by diymirage »

I've found that a 1 1/8 bar is a good investment
I used to bend the 7/8 all the time (and not just the cheapo ones) but since I went with the fatty bars I haven't had any issues (been over a year)
the only extra effort needed on my part was a quick pass with a 1 inch drill through the inner mounts for the bark busters
everything else fit perfectly
newbbewb wrote:DIYmirage has it right.

-1996 KDX 200 woods weapon (converted to 99 green body)
-1996 KDX 200 plated street toy (barney edition)
-2003 Yamaha TTR125-L (wifeys bike)
-1997 KDX 220 project bike
jerry malbeck

Post by jerry malbeck »

Pro Tapers are great, as for the chain and sprokets i always change both peace of mind and all .
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

Everyone kept saying I would bend the Tusk 7/8" bars but they have held up fine. Use them with some Tusk bark busters and it makes a tough combo. BTW, I run the Yamaha YZ/WR bend.

On the chain, personally I would buy a premium chain. I have been running an RK X-ring. Almost zero stretch in nearly two years. I also would recommend changing the sprockets. I mean, no more than $40 more for some good ones so why not? I only run Renthal CS sprockets. They are very high quality and are only $16-17. For the rear, I run a cheap steel sprocket. The Primary Gear rear sprockets are under $20 from RMATV and work well.
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
DRoCksks

Post by DRoCksks »

I recently put that very same pro taper bar on my bike. They look good and I like the bend and height. I like the big name bars because of the nice finish if nothing else.