97 kdx220 vs rmx250 shootout!

Got questions? We got answers....
Actionman
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Actionman »

I bought a bunch of 96-97 dirt bike and dirt rider mags and thought u guys would be interested in this. Got a few more tests of kdx's ill post later. Sorry about the quality, but I don't have a scanner!
Page 2
Page 3
2002 KDX 200
DRoCksks

Post by DRoCksks »

I seem to remember reading that article in the mag when I was younger. Always cool to see the old press about the various models (and I always thought the KDX was cool because it was different).
C George
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Re: 97 kdx220 vs rmx250 shootout!

Post by C George »

Great article ,,,, Thanks for posting :grin:
05 KDX-220R / 06 KDX-225R / Maxima 927 / Millenium Tech / Ron Black / PC , FMF / Many 220 engine mods / 40 + yrs. of riding dirt bikes 🤟🤟
Actionman
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Actionman »

Reading these articles really dredges up the pain I feel from trading the kdx to the rm250 lol. The rm is nearly finished from the repairs and maintenance I've had to do to it, but I really, really realize how great that kdx was.
2002 KDX 200
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

Kind of an unfair fight for the KDX. That era RMX was/is a fantastic bike. Probably some of the best conventional forks ever. Case reed, smooth motor. 2years newer ergos.
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project
ICRage42
Supporting Member

Post by ICRage42 »

Rode my buddies RM before he sold it. I just got back into riding and had the kdx somewhat ride able then. He came over and we were gonna hit some of the smaller trails and some fields. He would push me on the field straights but in the woods Id lap him three times.

We switched and let me say this.......

For a little bit of time I was SUPERFLY PIMP DADDY OF THE OPEN FIELD! :rolleyes: those forks :prayer:

However the rest of the bike didn't do it justice for anything else. A fat pig that led me into many patches of thorns and ivy.

I was very happy to return to my kdx. However my buddy sat on my bike and was trying to negotiate a price. :bravo:
If you cant fix it with a hammer, you have an electrical problem.
Actionman
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Actionman »

The ergonomics is the one big thing I'm glad I traded the kdx for. My 97 rm feels as light as a mini bike compared to my kdx(even though it's probably heavier), and the seat height feels about an inch shorter(even though it's not). If I could've had the kdx motor in this rm frame it would be awesome.
2002 KDX 200
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

I think the most telling thing you can take away from this review in particular, and others in general is this: How many of those old 2T RMXs do you see on the trails compared to old KDXs?

In a way it was unfortunate that Kawi and Suz waited so long to combine their offroad lines. had they done that a decade or two earlier we'd probably all be riding new Green/Yellow Enduro 2Ts and KTM would have had a harder time jumping the pond without the vacuum that was left when the Big J4 got out of the 2T game.
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

I'd have to say, don't confuse the RM with the RMX. That motor was incredibly smooth. The forks were awesome. I love my WR, but this was a far better woods bike out of the box. The WR is still sought after in the desert. Riders of these bikes went to KTMs and the like. The only other wide trans jap enduro 250 was the WR, and it went 4T first. The H model KDX had to outsell the RMX and WR combined 3x over...which is why you see so many. Also, most of these bikes were RAGGED OUT racing, and have gone to the wayside. If you went to a hairscramble in 96 you saw a lot more Yellow, Blue, and Green than Orange like you do now....combined with modded MXers (Lots of CRs) like you still see today.

Don't get me wrong, the KDX is still king of what it is! I helped start this site.
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project