Resurrection

Got questions? We got answers....
Brom32

Resurrection

Post by Brom32 »

I know everyone must have asked this but who all thinks Kawasaki will bring back the kdx. Why did they stop continuing it?

I personally don't think they will bring it back but you never know!!! [OK HAND SIGN]
04 Kdx200 w/ PC Platinum 2
TheJackRabbit
Supporting Member

Re: Resurrection

Post by TheJackRabbit »

I don't think they'll bring it back, it seems as thought they are stepping out of the off road market and now only produce MX bikes and kids bikes. their off road segment has gone away. They might bring the KDX back if DI 2 strokes become popular and "if" kawasaki already has the technology
http://www.youtube.com/allthatstuff35 <--- some KDX videos here
I'm smarter than I act
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

EPA

Look up emissions laws that went into effect for later than 2006 models.

I don't see why they didn't have a 2006 KDX220R though. :hmm: :hmm:
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
B737driver
Gold Member
Gold Member

Resurrection

Post by B737driver »

Think about how much $ kawi and kawi shops are making on the parts and maintenance on 4 strokes........cams, valves, timing chains, tensioners, etc., etc, etc all of which require frequent maintenance and adjustment. It's just not economically feasible for them to build a bike that requires so much less maintenance (which can be easily done by the owner). I'll be first in line for the AF KDX 200, 250, or 300......just don't see it happening.

KTM, Husaberg, Gas Gas, Husky own the 2 stroke off road/enduro market period. The Japanese aren't willing to engage in that fight (unfortunately). Take a look at the 14 finishers of the 2013 Erzberg Rodeo and what they have in common.

Checkpoint: 20 ZIEL
1Graham Jarvis GBR 52Husaberg EC 300
2Andreas Lettenbichler GER 4Husqvarna WR 300
3Alfredo Gomez Cantero ESP 24Husaberg te 300 2t
4Jonny Walker GBR 3KTM 300EXC
5Ben Hemingway GBR 25Beta RR 300
6Dougie Lampkin GBR 35GasGas EC 300
7Taichi Tanaka JPN 19KTM 300 XCW
8Ivan Cervantes ESP 6KTM 250 EXC
9Alex Van Den Broek NED 40KTM 300cc
10Pierre Pallut FRA 8KTM 300 EXC
11Wade Young RSA 14Husaberg 300TE
12Lee Sampson GBR 60KTM 250
13Dan Hemingway GBR 57Beta 300rr
14Philipp Scholz GER 5KTM EXC 300

How many 4 strokes do you see? That's pretty telling to me.

Rant off :evil:
Live to Fly
Fly to Live
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

newbbewb wrote:^what he said.
masterblaster wrote:Man 6 riders you rock.
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type
B737driver
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by B737driver »

Yeah, "prices start at just $13,499". Not interested at that price, but it is sweet.

http://www.servicehonda.com/kawasaki-20 ... s/kdx200af
Live to Fly
Fly to Live
90SDKDX
Supporting Member

Resurrection

Post by 90SDKDX »

I concur with the epa statement. Of the big four manufactures I believe Yamaha is the only one still producing a big bore 2 stroke, the yz250. I work at a Yamaha shop and the latest wr450f is extremely restricted just to be 50 state green labeled. You have to put a yz throttle stop and a different ecu on the bike just to get everything out of it. And that is a four stroke.

We are also a Beta dealer and their new 300rr is amazing. It's definitely my dream bike at the moment. I think the lack of racer support probably has something to do with the stop in production as well. All the Italian/Austrian brands are dominating the enduro world these days. Let's just hope parts will still be in production for a while (especially for my E series!).
cornishwrecker220

Resurrection

Post by cornishwrecker220 »

Never say never.....Kawasaki still make `off road` 2 strokes albeit in smaller capacity motorcycles & at the end of the day it`s all to do with R & D & selling your product to the market, I think Kawasaki will make a modern competitive 2 stoke again but I cant say when...hopefully it will be before I`m too old & fat to ride! :please:
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

chkdx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by chkdx »

Thanks for that epa link Jason, that is very enlightening!
B737driver
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by B737driver »

So I wonder how Yamaha with the new YZ's gets around it. Is it a no smoke 2 stroke?

By the way, they really missed the mark. People want 2 strokes for off road/enduro not moto x. The 4 stroke is superior on a moto track.....just not in the woods so to speak. You'd have to do some work $$ to make the YZ woods worthy. Why do that when you can buy an orange bike already set up.
Live to Fly
Fly to Live
90SDKDX
Supporting Member

Post by 90SDKDX »

No its a traditional 2 stroke. It's actually the same yz they've been making since mid 2000's I believe. One of our good customers that has a repair shop has a yz that is set up pretty nicely for woods riding.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Read the "competition only" part.

B737driver, it sounds like you are not racing amateur MX in the 250 class. :supz:
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

Jason wrote:Read the "competition only" part.
And that is how Kawasaki could have kept producing it but decided not to. The EPA, IMO, was not the reason the KDX was killed off. There are a lot of 2T options available here is the U.S. from KTM, Husqvarna, TM, Gas Gas, Yamaha, Beta, and maybe a few others that I missed. Financially, Kawasaki's motorsports division was in bad shape, hence partnering up with Suzuki on bikes, and was the real reason behind the KDX's demise.
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
B737driver
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by B737driver »

I think it's a combination of all the factors mentioned. EPA, financial pressure, etc. I also believe there is no denying that they are missing out on a large demographic and potential revenue. I have witnessed the off road racing/riding community explode over the past 10 years in my area. We now have TCCRa, TORN, And TORO. All well run local level organizations that bring out the masses at each event. It is a sea of orange. At one point a buddy of mine had to order a KTM 300 XCW because not one of the 4 KTM dealers in the area had one on the floor (can't keep 'em).

Really wish the big 4 would join in. Especially Kawi :supz: Until then, cheers :partyman:
Live to Fly
Fly to Live
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Back when it was about to hit, the buzz in the forums was that if a model was kept, the other models had to meet that same baseline, or something to that effect.

Read some of the other documents, and there is a line about if the model can be proven to be mainly used for competition. As always, it is more government ramblings.