Neck braces opinions.

Got questions? We got answers....
90SDKDX
Supporting Member

Neck braces opinions.

Post by 90SDKDX »

So I'm looking to invest in a neck brace for a couple different reasons, mostly safety and the fact that I ride alone fairly often. My question for all of you is do you wear a neck brace? All the time or part of the time? If yes what brands have you owned and which were your favorite? I'm leaning towards this new Atlas brace that Villopoto is wearing. Online reviews seem to be good.
ecojbr
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Neck braces opinions.

Post by ecojbr »

Thats a tough one. The only real comparision would be from those who have owned more than one. I use the EVS. Can't say if its better or worse. Never had to test it(hope I never do). It does hinder looking up and behind a bit. And does bump against my helmet. Doesn't bother me but is noisy when watching go pro
04 kx220 hybrid
03 kx 250
05 kdx 200
Joshmcmillan
Supporting Member

Re: Neck braces opinions.

Post by Joshmcmillan »

I use the EVS something 4. :P It was significantly cheaper than other ones but seems to have good protection. I use it any time I feel the need to use a helmet (so if I'm not just riding up from the shed etc). Does limit looking up but you don't really notice once you're riding.
07' CR450X (Main Bike)
07' KX125 (Completed basket case rebuild, for sale)
88' KDX200 (Not sure yet, runs but with rattly top end)
91' CBR250RR
Old Bikes: 97' KDX200, 00' RM125, 85' XR350, 94' KDX200, 02' CR80, 82' XT250, 98' CT200
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Neck braces opinions.

Post by SS109 »

Never have used one and probably never will. Well, at least I won't until I see some independent lab testing that confirms that they don't do more harm than good and a standard is set in the vain of DOT or Snell. All the info so far is either from brace manufacturers or is purely anecdotal from those that have used them. So, until that day, I will spend my money for more/better gear for the rest of my body. That's just my .02!
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
90SDKDX
Supporting Member

Neck braces opinions.

Post by 90SDKDX »

SS109 wrote:Never have used one and probably never will. Well, at least I won't until I see some independent lab testing that confirms that they don't do more harm than good and a standard is set in the vain of DOT or Snell. All the info so far is either from brace manufacturers or is purely anecdotal from those that have used them. So, until that day, I will spend my money for more/better gear for the rest of my body. That's just my .02!
How do you think they would do harm? I don't think DOT or Snell would ever mandate a neck brace since they are more involved with road vehicles than anything else. Now maybe race associations will mandate them for racing purposes, but I don't see it going much further than that.
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

Neck braces have a tendency to harm one part of the body to protect another, such as breaking your clavicle instead of your neck (most common). In doing this, it seems that clavicle breaks occur even when the neck wasn't necessarily compromised.<<<<<Just an example.
newbbewb wrote:^what he said.
masterblaster wrote:Man 6 riders you rock.
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Neck braces opinions.

Post by SS109 »

90SDKDX wrote:How do you think they would do harm?
Like 6 Riders said, that is one common injury associated with them. Also, have heard quite a few reports instead of having damage in the cervical vertebrae you end up having it in the thoracic vertebrae. Many of those riders attribute the thoracic injury directly to wearing a neck brace due to the fact they could not tuck their head in some crashes and instead lawn darted (ie; the neck brace actually caused an injury where none would have happened without it). Again, it is purely anecdotal as well. That is why I want to see some actual independent research done on it to prove one way or another. If you want to find out more just go search on Thumpetalk for topics about neck braces. It draws out the crazies on both sides but no real proof either way. However, after reading countless threads, several manufacturers statements, and the anecdotal evidence, it seems to me, at this point in time, they do more harm than good.
90SDKDX wrote:I don't think DOT or Snell would ever mandate a neck brace since they are more involved with road vehicles than anything else. Now maybe race associations will mandate them for racing purposes, but I don't see it going much further than that.
Why not DOT or Snell? They do certify off road helmets so I don't see why they couldn't. However, the liability involved might be off putting to them. There is also the CE ratings on a lot of armor so maybe CE? I think there are options out there for someone to do serious studies of the various braces, develop a standard for said braces, and rate them. Like I said, I'll wait until they're proven worthy and even then I don't know if I would wear one. Why? In all my years of off road and street riding, with countless hard get offs, I have never once even come close to going straight in to the ground with my head. I know that in a few of those get offs I would have hit my head, maybe resulting a concussion/knocked out/broken collar bone, because I wouldn't have been able to tuck my head. The neck brace is for that one in a million time you actually do need it (and it might actually save you!) but it can cause other serious injuries that otherwise wouldn't have happened without it. Please do as much research on the subject as you can and make an informed decision on whether to wear one or not.

Oh, yeah, just so people don't think I'm anti-protection, I look like a blue stormtrooper in an all my gear! Helmet, gloves, boots, goggles, armored compression jacket, and shin/knee guards. I use every bit of gear that is proven to be helpful.
'11 GasGas EC250R
ecojbr
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by ecojbr »

Neck braces are gonna be real hard to test with accurate results. Like helmets, you can't analize a crash and determine if the brace caused or didn't an injury. If a crash caused vertebrae injury you can't re try the crash without a brace to see if neck injury did ocur. Like helmets I will never be convinced that a $600 Arai will protect better than a $250 Fly. Just as I know of two now, one broke almost every bone in his foot from a 2nd gear crash with another bike. The other had the end of his toe pinched off. Both wearing very high dollar Alpine star boots. For me it is piece of mind.
04 kx220 hybrid
03 kx 250
05 kdx 200
90SDKDX
Supporting Member

Post by 90SDKDX »

Well you all have good points. There really is no way anyone will probably be able to tell if a neck brace caused or saved you from an injury. I found this great article from dirt rider on neck braces. Basically confirms most beliefs that yes it does prevent some injuries, but not all, and is circumstanial to the incident. I think I'd rather wear something that is going to increase the chances of not getting paralyzed than worrying about if its going to break my bones.
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

I don't wear one, and have never had an injury injury in 40+ years of riding/racing where a neck brace would have been in play. I HAVE had several in which helmets saved my life. The last one in 2005 involved an HJC helmet and a head-on collision with a racer headed the wrong way down a course. 3 titanium plates, 15 screws later I'm still riding and wearing HJC helmets (which BTW I sent them my destroyed helmet, along with copies of the xrays and med reports, pics, etc and they sent me a new, replacement helmet...not sure if that's a standard practice or not but it won them a lifelong customer). My dad, however, did have a crash in which the neck brace may have prevented more serious injury. In 2009 (around the time they were first starting to appear) he was out riding a local area alone (I know, not smart, but we all do it, and he still does) and took a header into a creek bed. Broke C4 and C5, partial paralysis for a few days, surgery, and a SOMI brace for 6 months. After he was cleared to ride he went out and bought a Leatt brace and rode with it for about 6 months before he ditched it. He didn't like the restriction in movement inherent in braces. Since we ride a lot of low speed, technical terrain he felt the brace was more a hindrance, though he did admit that if only rode desert or MX he'd probably still wear one. After his accident I researched one thinking it was one of my next purchases, but with so little data available on their effectiveness (as opposed to other items i.e.: helmets) I never did, and likely never will. It all comes down to personal preference in the end. Like Ryan Villapota said "even if it only gives me a 1% chance to avoid injury, thats a 1% advantage over my competitors".
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

90SDKDX wrote:I think I'd rather wear something that is going to increase the chances of not getting paralyzed...
Therein lies the problem, a brace could actually increase your chances of being paralyzed! :shock: Yes, it might save you from being a quadriplegic under the right circumstances. However, it can turn you into a paraplegic under the right ones as well.

Eh, do as you all wish. It is your neck, literally and figuratively! :mrgreen: Caveat emptor!
'11 GasGas EC250R
90SDKDX
Supporting Member

Post by 90SDKDX »

Just personal peace of mind I guess. I personally see more reasons why it would protect than reasons it wouldn't.
MagicCactus

Post by MagicCactus »

I bought a Leatt GPX 5.5 recently and find it extremely comfortable and inobtrusive. I'm happy...
ICRage42
Supporting Member

Neck braces opinions.

Post by ICRage42 »

I know not the same thing but in a sense it is.

Anyone play linebacker in football? Man I loved my neckbrace. I would strain, pull and even break without it. Put it on never broke another collar bone and never sprained my neck or jaw or suffered neck injury. I could ram with it head on (high school). Now I also played corner and safety and would ditch the brace because I couldn't follow the ball easy. It hindered my speed as well by restricting my body to turn and run faster. I also injured my knee by twisting it not being able to turn and tackle fast enough. My back would also hurt if I tried to wear it. Then the design got a lot slimmer and more lightweight. Now from what I seen I really like the newer ones and would probably wear them all the time if I could play again rofl.

I think its just an infancy in design. When you look at someone wearing one its like seeing that kid that had that neck and head contraption for braces growing up.

DOES NOT CORRECT STUPIDITY

I thought about getting one and then thought about not being able to duck under a limb quick. If I was doing just the mx track or something then maybe. For what I ride and do I don't think its a good thing. IMO
If you cant fix it with a hammer, you have an electrical problem.
kawagumby
Gold Member
Gold Member

Neck braces opinions.

Post by kawagumby »

SS109 wrote:Never have used one and probably never will. Well, at least I won't until I see some independent lab testing that confirms that they don't do more harm than good and a standard is set in the vain of DOT or Snell. All the info so far is either from brace manufacturers or is purely anecdotal from those that have used them. So, until that day, I will spend my money for more/better gear for the rest of my body. That's just my .02!

You don't need to crash to get the benefit of a neck brace. I have hit rocks, g-outs, etc. while riding hard with my head turned sideways...the brace keeps your head from moving too much. I went to a neck brace after one such incident that really screwed up my neck... hit a big g-out I didn't see coming.
1994 KDX200, Beta 200rr, yz125, yz250, kx100 modded for adult, gasgas contact 250.
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Neck braces opinions.

Post by SS109 »

kawagumby wrote:

You don't need to crash to get the benefit of a neck brace. I have hit rocks, g-outs, etc. while riding hard with my head turned sideways...the brace keeps your head from moving too much. I went to a neck brace after one such incident that really screwed up my neck... hit a big g-out I didn't see coming.
For my riding, I can see how a neck brace could/would cause a serious injury. Not being able to duck or angle my head to clear branches (yes, we do have trees in the dez!) when riding. I have broken off all the vent lips on my Klim F4 helmet from hitting branches without a neck brace. One hard enough I had a headache for days afterward. I wonder how hard I would have hit, and how much damage it would have caused to me/helmet, if I would have had one on! :shock: Again, no thanks. Ride smarter which equals safer. Don't turn your head when you don't know what is in front of you! :mrgreen:
'11 GasGas EC250R
kawagumby
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kawagumby »

I think you're nuts! :mrgreen: The neck braces don't lock your head in place, you still have a range of movement, they just keep your head from moving too far, thus injuring your neck, in an impact or whiplash situation. I ride in really tight bush all the time, it is my preferred environment, and have never even noticed the brace while riding.

But hey, to each his own.... :partyman:
1994 KDX200, Beta 200rr, yz125, yz250, kx100 modded for adult, gasgas contact 250.
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

kawagumby wrote:I think you're nuts!
That, sir, I am! :mrgreen: I know the braces allow some movement. However, in the instances I mentioned, a brace would have made things worse, not better, for me and me alone. Plus, I have never had a situation where a neck brace would have benefited me so I don't see the need for myself.
kawagumby wrote:But hey, to each his own....
Hear, hear! :partyman:
'11 GasGas EC250R