Modern Ergonomics

Got questions? We got answers....
gwynfryn

Modern Ergonomics

Post by gwynfryn »

Has anyone successfully modified (h series) the seat/tank /shroud junction to remove the hump? Something along the lines of the A loop that is available for the xr400.
I wouldn't mind losing a couple of litres fuel capacity if it enabled me to sit further forward. Just trying to wring every ounce of performance out of the kdx and stay competitive against a sea of orange, and thought someone might have looked at this before.
Thanks
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Modern Ergonomics

Post by scheckaet »

yup, it's called a kx hybrid :wink:
robkdx

Modern Ergonomics

Post by robkdx »

KX tank and seat may work. Just sold one of each. Doh.
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Modern Ergonomics

Post by scheckaet »

I doubt the kx tank would mount on a kdx...
kawagumby
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Modern Ergonomics

Post by kawagumby »

I found that just using bar risers (necessary for my USD fork conversion) made it easier to move around and forward and I'm 5'10". Also, when I did my USD conversion, the YZ triples I used moved the bars about 1/2" forward - maybe some of the KX triples provide that benefit also.

With those changes I now feel the tank shape was never an issue, it is the low, rearward mount for the stock bars.

With the stock bar location, riding standing was cramped, and it was more difficult to move forward on the bike.

I feel there is absolutely no limitation of movement with the yz USD setup and I suspect other USD setups may provide the same benefit. I have owned a lot of mx'rs so I'm familiar with what to expect, ergo-wise.
Last edited by kawagumby on 12:10 pm Mar 05 2014, edited 1 time in total.
1994 KDX200, Beta 200rr, yz125, yz250, kx100 modded for adult, gasgas contact 250.
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

You could certainly make it work with enough time and energy, will it ever look quite right is another question. The H took it's perimeter frame from the early 90s 125, but even the pre-94 KX bikes had the saddle look. You'd also have to fab up something for the rear area of the seat as the KDX and KX seat mount points don't match match up. If all you're looking to do is get rid of the crotch trap that is the front part of the seat you could do a custom foam and build that area up, but that would also put you way up on the bike.
sheckaet wrote:yup, it's called a kx hybrid :wink:
Best solution (although admittedly I am biased) Don't immediately dismiss the ergos of the KDX though. Unquestionably of of the easiest bikes to spend hours on, like a Lazyboy on wheels! Update the suspension and you won't even think about that seat. And as stated above, moving the bras up and forward a bit opens up the cockpit as well.
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Modern Ergonomics

Post by scheckaet »

moving the bars, getting a different bend and or triple clamp helps a lot.
gwynfryn

Post by gwynfryn »

I may end up going down the hybrid road but my kdx is so sorted in every other respect( 2006,wer, gold valves,rad valve,braided brake lines, gnarly rev and power core etc,etc) and handles well with the conventional forks in our tight forest rides where we average around 20kph.
I stand most of the time but have twice lately come to a sudden stop in a bog after hitting something submerged and slammed my balls against the tank!
My bikes to good to pull the motor from and even ratty kx125's sell for over $2000.00 here.
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

bufftester wrote:Don't immediately dismiss the ergos of the KDX though. Unquestionably of of the easiest bikes to spend hours on, like a Lazyboy on wheels! Update the suspension and you won't even think about that seat. And as stated above, moving the bras up and forward a bit opens up the cockpit as well.
Exactly! Personally, I love the antiquated ergos of my E-series. Also, I have never needed to get further forward than what the seat/tank allows.
gwynfryn wrote:...and handles well with the conventional forks in our tight forest rides where we average around 20kph.(14.43mph)
Some USD forks will help a lot to increase your average speed. There is no way I could average 21mph (33.7kph) )on the trails I ride if it wasn't for the USD forks.
gwynfryn wrote:I stand most of the time but have twice lately come to a sudden stop in a bog after hitting something submerged and slammed my balls against the tank!
Better the tank/seat than the bars/triple clamp and possibly going over the bars! :mrgreen:
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
gwynfryn

Post by gwynfryn »

gwynfryn wrote:I stand most of the time but have twice lately come to a sudden stop in a bog after hitting something submerged and slammed my balls against the tank!
Better the tank/seat than the bars/triple clamp and possibly going over the bars! :mrgreen:[/quote]

Going over the bars would have been better!
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Modern Ergonomics

Post by SS109 »

What I was saying is hitting the triple/bars AND going over! :shock:
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

bufftester wrote: moving the bras up and forward a bit opens up the cockpit as well.
:lol: Usually works for me :supz: :lol:
newbbewb wrote:^what he said.
masterblaster wrote:Man 6 riders you rock.
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type