All dressed up...

Got questions? We got answers....
vlxk98

All dressed up...

Post by vlxk98 »

and nowhere to go. The second round of our local Hare Scramble series was cancelled due to bad weather this weekend.
We got about an inch of sleet/ice and then close to 6 inches of global warming/climate change to boot!

So I took a picture or two of the mighty 200 in her race dress...

One note, with the KLX forks and older style fork guards, it appears the front brake line has been getting over into the spokes a bit. I guess with the fork guards designed to work with the brake line going around and under the front of the fork there wasn't any issues with interference. With the brake line routed around the side it has enough flex and wiggle room to get over into the spokes.

I have been looking at what others have done in this case and I'm trying to work out a solution. I'll let you know.
jeff.nelson83

Re: All dressed up...

Post by jeff.nelson83 »

Do you live in Illinois and race D17? Because thats what happen to me.
Joshmcmillan
Supporting Member

Post by Joshmcmillan »

I had some home-made fork guards that I made out of guttering pipe on my 94 E-series with the USD forks, and I had the same problem with the brake line.
Funny story, when we realized we were out in the middle of the bush on a trail ride, so we found some relatively strong/stringy grass and tied it together to make up some guides for the brake line :P

All I done to fix it more permanently was put a loose'ish clear cable tie around it, but you may be looking for a more elegant fix. :)
07' CR450X (Main Bike)
07' KX125 (Completed basket case rebuild, for sale)
88' KDX200 (Not sure yet, runs but with rattly top end)
91' CBR250RR
Old Bikes: 97' KDX200, 00' RM125, 85' XR350, 94' KDX200, 02' CR80, 82' XT250, 98' CT200
vlxk98

Post by vlxk98 »

The cable tie solution was the first thing that crossed my mind too :grin:
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Good looking KDX.

The gray frame looks good.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
Tyl3r
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tyl3r »

im anxious to see what you do to fix the brake line issue. I'm dealing with the same issue (with kx500 forks on my 200). The best plan I can see right now is to drill 2 holes in the fork guard just above the rotor about 3/4"-1" apart, lay the brake line between the holes, and zip tie the brake line down. Or maybe do like TN_Dirtrider did and ditch the fork guard guides, rivet a small piece of angle iron to the front of the guard and attach the stock brake line clamp to the angle.

Bike looks good btw!
04/05 KX220 Hybrid all decked out
18 KTM 500 EXC-F Dual Sport/Sumo toy
24 KTM 300XC-W Cheater bike