Mx boot sizing?

Got questions? We got answers....
Actionman
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Mx boot sizing?

Post by Actionman »

I'm getting some 'fly racing' maverick series boots and I'm unsure which size I need. I normally wear 10 1/2 in most shoes, so do I need a 10 or 11 in mx boot? Also, they have a boot made for trail riding that's about 2 inches shorter in the shin area-is that a better choice for trailriding or should I get the full mx style? Thanks!
2002 KDX 200
spl383
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Mx boot sizing?

Post by spl383 »

I have a pair of fly racing boots and I went up a 1/2 size and they fit perfect.
Actionman
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Re: Mx boot sizing?

Post by Actionman »

Thanks!
2002 KDX 200
elusive
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by elusive »

I also wear a 10.5 shoe and bought the fly racing mavericks in an 11 and they fit perfect.
Fitterman24
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Mx boot sizing?

Post by Fitterman24 »

I also go up a 1/2 size. I was unimpressed with the Maverick boots as they only lasted my 15 yr old son 1 riding season. The price was right and to be honest, he can tear up a bowling ball in a padded room.
Actionman
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Actionman »

Honestly as little as I'm riding I don't need much boot. The price is right for my needs. Thanks!
2002 KDX 200
diymirage
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by diymirage »

Actionman wrote:Honestly as little as I'm riding I don't need much boot. The price is right for my needs. Thanks!

I used to feel the same way up until ocotber 27th of last year
I only take the bike out into the woods a few times a month, a few hours at a time

with as little as I ride all I needed was little something more then a workboot so when the fox comp 5s went on sale I picked a set up (size 14) for $175

the whole story is here http://www.kdxrider.net/forums/viewtopi ... hilit=ouch but here is the highlight

snapped that bone right in half, wearing those 175 dollar boots and incurred almost 2K in medical bills

needless to say I now am the proud owner of a pair of alpinestar tech 10s (got a killer deal on them and still spend $350)

just something to consider
newbbewb wrote:DIYmirage has it right.

-1996 KDX 200 woods weapon (converted to 99 green body)
-1996 KDX 200 plated street toy (barney edition)
-2003 Yamaha TTR125-L (wifeys bike)
-1997 KDX 220 project bike
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

Good post diy! I used to think the same as you......I now own SG10s, about $350, also upgraded my son to Gaerne's low end boots for $195, $20 could, maybe, save you a life changing "toe kicker".
I am also looking to upgrade my wifes boots.
The ONE thing I stress the most when buying boots.....try to stay away from "bonded soles", they just don't have the "frame" that a leather soled boot will have.
newbbewb wrote:^what he said.
masterblaster wrote:Man 6 riders you rock.
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type
Actionman
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Actionman »

My aunt is a big yard sale person; about two months before I got that kdx she brought down a beautiful pair of gaerne blue boots in size 11, a pair of yellow Oakley goggles, and a professionally painted fox(I think) helmet and asked if I needed them. "I don't have a bike, just sell them" I told her. And she did- $35 for all three lol. Now I have an rm250 and I would've looked awesome in that gear lol. Dammit!
2002 KDX 200
ICRage42
Supporting Member

Mx boot sizing?

Post by ICRage42 »

I wear a 10 and got the 11 and its not bad at all. I usually wear some thicker socks so if I would of bought the 10 it wouldn't be comfortable. That was with the flys I bought. They are a decent boot. If you take care of em they will last. I still have mine and bring em along incase I ride with someone who has workboots on lol or my mains take a dump on me.
If you cant fix it with a hammer, you have an electrical problem.
Actionman
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Mx boot sizing?

Post by Actionman »

ICRage42 wrote:I wear a 10 and got the 11 and its not bad at all. I usually wear some thicker socks so if I would of bought the 10 it wouldn't be comfortable. That was with the flys I bought. They are a decent boot. If you take care of em they will last. I still have mine and bring em along incase I ride with someone who has workboots on lol or my mains take a dump on me.
Back in the 90's when I rode I had a cheap pair of Thor boots and they were fine. Saved my feet many times. I know cheap boots aren't as good as the pricey ones, but I do feel that at the moderate pace I ride the fly boots will be fine. There are guys breaking feet and ankles in $400 boots every day. If you're bending a foot at an extreme angle then no boot will help, and if it does hold you'll break something else instead.
2002 KDX 200