USD FORKS

Got questions? We got answers....
whc

USD FORKS

Post by whc »

want to change the oil in my 94 usd works. anyone know the correct procedure, oil wt? oil capacity? Do I have to remove the caps on bottom of forks, the ones with the large allen head? or is there a drain under the rubber cap in the center of of the allen head recess? already have the springs out, oil looks fresh, want to stiffen them up a bit with heaver oil. questions questions thanks Bill
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: USD FORKS

Post by 6 Riders »

The forks would be serviced the same way as conventional forks, using the top cap. These forks have seriously light springs in them, so stiffening them up would involve new springs. Stock springs are .29 thru .31 and stock oil is 5wt.
I run .38 or .41 (can't remember which) @ 165#, with 7 wt oil. Use the oil level to adjust dampening, rebound is adjusted at the bottom (or maybe thats backwards).
newbbewb wrote:^what he said.
masterblaster wrote:Man 6 riders you rock.
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type
whc

Post by whc »

thanks so you would pull the forks and dump the oil out the top? with the forks compressed how far from the top should the oil be? with mine compressed the oil is just about even with where the interior gets larger. one more thing, where on the bottom do you adjust the rebound, I have never seen any aduster? Bill
Last edited by whc on 11:33 am Feb 26 2014, edited 1 time in total.
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

Yup. Also jsut an FYI, these forks are NOT tunable, so seals, wipers and bushings is a complete rebuild on these forks. I was just looking at the diagram and I see that most parts for the E series bikes are no longer supported by OEM :sad: so IF you ruin something, you are out of luck getting new parts.
newbbewb wrote:^what he said.
masterblaster wrote:Man 6 riders you rock.
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type
whc

Post by whc »

with the forks compressed how far from the top shoud the oil be, mine are just above the area where the interior gets larger? is the rebound adjustable, is so where? Bill
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

90 - 120mm down from the top is generally acceptable. There is no rebound adjustment, other than oil weight. Compression adjuster is on the bottom of the fork.
whc

Post by whc »

is the adjuster under the rubber cap inside the allen wrench hole thanks Bill
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

Yep, sure is.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

6 Riders wrote:Yup. Also jsut an FYI, these forks are NOT tunable, so seals, wipers and bushings is a complete rebuild on these forks. I was just looking at the diagram and I see that most parts for the E series bikes are no longer supported by OEM :sad: so IF you ruin something, you are out of luck getting new parts.
Seals, wipers and bushings is NOT a complete rebuild.

They ARE tunable, just not VERY tunable.

A few parts are found through KYB distribution channels.

I want to say stock oil level is around 85mm. You can download the owner's manual from kawasaki.com.

Used manuals are easy to find on eBay if buying new is out of your budget. Just be sure to get the one that ends in -02.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
whc

Post by whc »

well, checked my fork oil level last night.with the forks fully retracted and the springs and plastic insert removed, its right at the point were the lower fork legs enter the upper fork tube. added two fluid ounces, thats about 180 from the top, im a bit confused about how much to add, the forks have been working ok accept on mx jumps where they occasionaly bottom. have found the adjuster on the bottom of the forks and tightened them one turn I have one person saying they are rebound and one saying there comp?? if the 80 to 100 measurement is correct for usd forks then I will have add 8 or 9 onuces to each leg. just looking for a bit of reasurance that that is correct for usd type forks. thanks Bill
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

If they are stock KDX forks, there is no rebound adjuster. This is true for the conventional and USD KDX forks.
whc

Post by whc »

thats good since the rebound feels good. so I should be able to get my compression slowed down, and that will make me happy.
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

Weight with gear?

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Be sure you pull the outer tube up to dump the oil back into the inner tube, then measure. They take about half a quart each tube, so adding 25% of that sounds off.

If you have oil in the outer tube, plus the correct level in the inner tube, it will really be off!

I Want to say 85mm is stock for 1993 - 1994 KDX200 forks.
sarrant

Post by sarrant »

Jason wrote: I Want to say 85mm is stock for 1993 - 1994 KDX200 forks.
You're just about right.

According to my service manual:
Oil viscosity: Kayaba 01 or SAE 5W
Oil Capacity: 471 +/- 4 ml.
Oil level (fully compressed, spring removed): 80 +/- 2mm (from top of outer tube)
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

AWESOME. Thanks for posting that.

At 471mL, it was great to be able to change oil in two fork tubes with just one bottle of fork oil. :boogie:
whc

Post by whc »

thanks guys, I weight about 180 with gear, am going to start with 7 wt oil 100 from the top. and work from there. will not be able to ride till apr when I go to tnt in south carlina. 3 feet of in northern ny. time to snow mobile. thanks again for all the help. Bill