96 KDX 200H

Got questions? We got answers....
Corey

96 KDX 200H

Post by Corey »

Hello,
Awesome site. Great info on everything KDX.
My wife is interested in riding with me :supz: so I obliged and snatched up a 96' 200H model, 1 owner bike from a female rider on Craigslist for $1000. The bike turned out to be in great shape after I tore it all down (except engine) and inspected it, greased appropriate parts, cleaned carb, replaced a few bearings, replaced fork oil, etc. I removed the pipe and reed valve assembly to get a glimpse of the cylinder walls. From what I can see cylinder walls appear fine. The bike starts with 1st kick. It has great compression at 151PSI (tested it three times). The only thing concerning is at an idle a rattling sound comes from where it appears to be at the front of the cylinder at the KIPS area whether the engine is is hot or cold. When engine is revved the sound disappears. The seller told me that it has done this ever since she bought the bike new. I talked to a local Kawasaki dealer here in addition to some KDX owners and they all said that it is inherit with the engine. A few questions:
1: Is this true?
2: I ordered a CS sprocket through MotoSport and they are back ordered. It's been 2 weeks now waiting. The dealer here gets there parts through the distributor. Does anybody know what other parts dealer I can try?
3: I use RedLine pre-mix on my bike and my son's bike. Is it ok for this bike?
4: I use Motul 10w-40 Technosyntheses tranny oil as well. Is this ok for this bike.
5: I bought a service manual for it and I changed the tranny oil and it called out appx. 24 ounces for re-filling. I re-filled it and it only took about 19 ounces and the sight glass is at the "full" level????? Bike sitting straight up on stand.
6: Any quirks or areas of special attention I need to know for this model of bike?

Thanks for your time.

Corey
vlxk98

Re: 96 KDX 200H

Post by vlxk98 »

Hello Corey and welcome to the best KDX site on the interweb! Here are my answers to your questions, I'm sure there will be others to follow...
1) yes, the rattle is normal. It bothered me at first too but you will get used to it.
2) I just ordered a CS sprocket last Monday from Rocky Mtn MC/ATV, it was at my door Thursday. Maybe try them.
3) I think about any quality oil will be fine, and as I'm sure you will hear on here, rejet to get the max benefit of the mighty
KDX motor! There is a ton of info on this site to get you at least in the ballpark.
4) Again, any quality oil will be fine (be aware of the automotive oils with the friction modifiers) and as always, everyone
has their favorites.
5) The service manual is probably the single best thing to buy for your KDX. As with the oil questions above, when you search
on this site you will find a large percentage of us add more than the called for amount of oil. Some say adding the full
quart keeps the KIPS noise down some. I kind of split the difference, more than the specs call for but not quite the full qt.
6) Since your bike apparently wasn't abused, maybe check the rest of the bearings, steering head for example, for grease.
When I rescued my '95 about a year and a half ago I went through it from stem to stern and found the steering head brgs
had very little grease. I can't think of any oddities that you should look for other than just the wearable items.

Have fun!
Corey

Post by Corey »

Thanks for the reply vlxk98. Will look at Rocky Mtn MC/ATV for the CS. Yes, the steering head bearings were shot as I suspected which I promptly replaced. Much to my surprise, and the original owner never mentioned this, the wheel bearings are brand new as well as the swingarm and linkage bearings. Wow!! As far as the tranny oil level subject when I re-filled it with 24 ounces (per manual) the sight level glass was completely immersed. The oil level was above the sight glass window. Are you saying ignore it and fill to say around 28 ounces? Currently it has about 19 ounces in it and I can barely see the oil level at the top of the sight glass. Sorry if I'm being anal about this oil level question.
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

You can run a full quart no problem, just beware of oils with friction modifiers. The rattle you hear is the KIPS rattle, and is completely normal. Since wheel and lower linkage/swingarm bearings are recent you are golden (linkage is the most neglected area on these bikes). Welcome to the site and get out and ride.
Corey

Post by Corey »

Thanks for the reply bufftester. Soon as I get the CS and some re-jetting done I'm..er the wife are roostin'!! :boogie: