Brakes question

Got questions? We got answers....
TN Dirtrider

Brakes question

Post by TN Dirtrider »

Been revitalizing the new-to-me '00 200, and decided to work on the brakes some. Got new (Chinese) brake pads on the front but noticed that I wasn't getting much stopping power. Today I replaced the brake fluid and bled the brakes...no change. I can grab the front brake as hard as I can and there is no danger of it locking up.

Is that normal for the KDX front brake, or should I dig in further to find the problem? Brake line looks like it is probably the original, so it probably needs replacing, but not sure if that would cause the brakes to be this weak. I recently did a front end swap and am using the front wheel and rotor off a KX 250. The KDX rotor that I am no longer using has a serious groove in it from the brake.

I decided to bleed the back brake while I was at it. Took of the reservoir top and guess what....bone dry. Filled and bled the back brake and it will lock the wheel up just fine now.

Thanks for any advice. We have quite a lot of hills around here and I tend to use my front brake a good bit...would like to have a little more bite to it.
thebird_19

Re: Brakes question

Post by thebird_19 »

Dig deeper. That front brake should be able to dump you if its working right. Maybe bad hose that's collapsed and not letting the pressure through, maybe caliper hanging, or maybe its the Chinese pads, but keep looking.
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

I doubt the stock line would cause that much trouble, unless it is leaking. Sounds to me like you still have air in there. These things are a real bear to bleed. Normally I have to remove mine from the bike, clamp the caliper up on something like a ladder, and hang the MC down below. Basically put the whole system upside down with the bleeder valve being the highest point. Pump, bleed, pump, bleed, pump, bleed and so on and so forth. The stock brake setup is not phenomenal, but you should be able to lock it up for sure. Cheap chinese pads certainly won't help the situation much.
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Brakes question

Post by scheckaet »

keep bleedin, they are a real pain to get bubble free.. I usually end up doing jason's method. try try and try again, it can take a loooong time. I use syringes since I'm too cheap to get a mityvac, one of these days though...
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

I used the method in the service manual.....worked like a charm and very easy!
newbbewb wrote:^what he said.
masterblaster wrote:Man 6 riders you rock.
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type
turtle
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by turtle »

Julien D wrote:These things are a real bear to bleed.
+1000. Keep after it, and eventually it will come around.
Bill
Central IL
2004 KDX220R
2011 Triumph Tiger 1050 SE
TN Dirtrider

Post by TN Dirtrider »

Alright...I'll keep bleeding it. This is my first time to ever bleed brakes so I'm sure I probably quit to soon. I am bleeding them per the procedure laid out in the manual.
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

The front is a PITA compared to the rear. Make sure that the loop of brake line where it comes through the upper guide is below your MC, otherwise its an air trap and will be very difficult to get right. Easiest way is to put the bike on a stand to fully extend the forks and then pull the brake line down so that loop is gone and tape it to the fork to hold it until done. The front brake is powerful enough that I can do stoppies with it.
ICRage42
Supporting Member

Brakes question

Post by ICRage42 »

also please note you wont get an effective bleed or will take longer if the brake cylinder is not traveling freely within the bore of caliper. For example an older caliper I had was doing this and I did get it to bleed but took a while. Never got a good bite out of it. Just weak in the stopping department. I got a spare from a member here and also ordered a rebuild kit. I could immediately see with the other caliper how much it actually travelled to apply pressure. I could do stoppies with the new caliper *well used. I rebuilt my old one and put it on to see and with me cleaning the bore and putting the new seal and such It was now comparable if not a tad better imo of my replacement.

something to possibly check.
If you cant fix it with a hammer, you have an electrical problem.
TN Dirtrider

Brakes question

Post by TN Dirtrider »

ICRage42 wrote:also please note you wont get an effective bleed or will take longer if the brake cylinder is not traveling freely within the bore of caliper. For example an older caliper I had was doing this and I did get it to bleed but took a while. Never got a good bite out of it. Just weak in the stopping department. I got a spare from a member here and also ordered a rebuild kit. I could immediately see with the other caliper how much it actually travelled to apply pressure. I could do stoppies with the new caliper *well used. I rebuilt my old one and put it on to see and with me cleaning the bore and putting the new seal and such It was now comparable if not a tad better imo of my replacement.

something to possibly check.
Good to know...I'm going to try bleeding it enough to get sufficient stopping power to ride this weekend, but based off my visual inspection of the brake I think it could probably use a rebuild, too. I have a spare brake front the KX 250 here, but it is missing some pieces, including the pistons so it won't be any help.
TN Dirtrider

Post by TN Dirtrider »

bufftester wrote:The front is a PITA compared to the rear. Make sure that the loop of brake line where it comes through the upper guide is below your MC, otherwise its an air trap and will be very difficult to get right. Easiest way is to put the bike on a stand to fully extend the forks and then pull the brake line down so that loop is gone and tape it to the fork to hold it until done. The front brake is powerful enough that I can do stoppies with it.
I'll give that a try....I know my loop is sticking up above the MC. Thanks for the heads up.
kawagumby
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kawagumby »

I recently replaced a front brake line....what a PITA...disconnected the master cyl from the bars so it was all vertical above the wheel cyl, still couldn't get enough flow....

Bought a mightyvac brake/vacuum kit, had it bled in just a few minutes. :partyman:
1994 KDX200, Beta 200rr, yz125, yz250, kx100 modded for adult, gasgas contact 250.
TN Dirtrider

Post by TN Dirtrider »

I bled it some more, with the brake line pushed down so it was below the MC. All I saw coming out was clean, clear fluid with no bubbles. My guess is that I have a sticky piston in the caliper...
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

TN Dirtrider wrote:I bled it some more, with the brake line pushed down so it was below the MC. All I saw coming out was clean, clear fluid with no bubbles. My guess is that I have a sticky piston in the caliper...
not necessarily, bubble have a funny way to get stuck where u don't want them...
K50X200
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by K50X200 »

kawagumby wrote:Bought a mightyvac brake/vacuum kit, had it bled in just a few minutes. :partyman:
+1 on that ...
"00 KDX200 - Baja Designs D/S Kit, '03 KLX300 Forks, KB5 Suspension Mods, Keihn 35 ASQV, Boyesen Rad Valve, Gnarly Woods Pipe
Dekon
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Brakes question

Post by Dekon »

You could also zip tie the brake level to the bar for a few days and the air should go to the MC. I did this on mine and it worked great. I know some KTM's require this.
ICRage42
Supporting Member

Brakes question

Post by ICRage42 »

ill also note to that

my not be stuck piston but the fact its not bled all the way. Best thing I found was to unroute it and then bleed.

hope this helps
If you cant fix it with a hammer, you have an electrical problem.